classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Grim reaper tries to scupper garage projects
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Grim reaper tries to scupper garage projects Reply with quote

Wandered around the garage looking at the projects I keep meaning to start thinking: somehow I can’t find the energy at the moment. So I went fishing.
The fishing session lasted less than 30min and I retired hurt. On Sunday mid-day I was in an ambulance on my way to the emergency department at Canterbury Hospital with ‘non specific symptoms’ but feeling like $hite.

If you don’t like hospital dramas, look away now.

I woke at 4am Sunday morning to find a group of medico’s gathered around my bed watching something exciting on my monitor. I could just see that the entertainment was being provided by my pulse rate as it fell through the twenties.
They indicated it was not good news and suggested my blood pressure was high enough to blow up a tractor tyre. As I digested these interesting facts I imagined the grim reaper smirking and saying ‘Gotcha m’lad!’
The head honcho with the stethoscope then suggested a pacemaker would save the day if fitted that very night or sooner… but the chaps over at Margate had the necessary spanners and screwdrivers.

As the ambulance sped through the early hours to Margate my pulse rate rallied and they decided to wait another day for the effects of my warfarin to reduce; and my blood to thicken enough not make a mess in the theatre.

I am now back at home with a gizmo embedded in my chest and wired to my ticker. They’ve given me long list of things I mustn’t do for a few weeks, and some things I will never be able to do… like using an electric sander or arc welder. This presents a serious problem to someone who has problems with car bodies, as well as his own. I’m wondering about some sort of protective jacket similar to the ones they wear when operating x ray machines… any suggestions?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief it sounds like you've had better weekends, where does this leave Sea Breezes? or has that already been dispatched to other waters?

Take it easy Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Grim reaper tries to scupper garage projects Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
and some things I will never be able to do… like using an electric sander or arc welder. This presents a serious problem to someone who has problems with car bodies, as well as his own. I’m wondering about some sort of protective jacket similar to the ones they wear when operating x ray machines… any suggestions?

Oh that's no problem. Once you get a (minimum) 3HP compressor and random orbit air-sander you'll never even dream of getting the electric one out the drawer again!

Welding, when I started as a yuffff the only available solution for thin stuff was oxy/acet (not counting spot welding) I still think it takes some beating as the best most adaptable method!

You'll be fine Smile

Julian.
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Good grief it sounds like you've had better weekends, where does this leave Sea Breezes? or has that already been dispatched to other waters?

Take it easy Smile

RJ

Thanks Rick. Oddly enough it may mean a reprieve for Sea Breezes. It was to go in the Spring, as I didn't have the energy to manage the drama of launch and recovery. Now it's likely, with my heart regulated, I may have a new lease of life... time will tell.
john-saab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I had a bad weekend!
Look after yourself and don't try and do it all in one go..go steady with your new found youth!
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Grim reaper tries to scupper garage projects Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
They’ve given me long list of things I mustn’t do for a few weeks, and some things I will never be able to do… like using an electric sander or arc welder. any suggestions?

Hi Pigtin,

It's not just arc welders that you need to keep away from. With this period of solar flares I think you should tell them to take it out again but to bring the wire out so you can connect it to something simpler and less vulnerable than semiconductors. It doesn't take much so maybe an ailing motor bike magneto would work with just a little winding handle for when you felt the need of a boost.

Seriously though, do take it easy. Sit back and read about other people's problems. Here's a boaty blog that I think will raise a few smiles... http://bf494.co.uk/blog1.php

Hoping you are feeling better soon, even if not so active.

Peter
welder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin, if the simple act of going fishing can bring all this on I shall give it up soonest and take up something less strenuous...like cage fighting, maybe.

I wish you a speedy return to rude health.

Ian
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes, Pigtin.

I went down that road about 20 years ago. If you need me to recite the standard "Exercise, diet, lose weight & so on ad infinitum" speech, word for word, from the Drs, just call!
62rebel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been to the wars, have we? well; you should go and lie down. Surgeon will have you right as rain in a fortnight.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your troubles Sad

Wish you a fast recovery .

Jens Christian
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my what a to do! You should think yourself lucky as I have a brother in law who, in the 50s, worked on the development of a British pacemaker at a certain automotive electrical company known as 'The Prince of Darkness'.

Yes Joseph Lucas made pacemakers for a while.

Seriously do what you are told as we want you around for a long time. All the best.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you !

Take care mate, can't lose the main reason for coming down to the Herne Bay show this year.

Just take it easy, awaiting to have some more checks and diagnostics on my tickers as well, soon.
Cardioversion last year didn't work, been up and down since.

Just remember take things a bit slower with more tea breaks during the day.

Roger
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
Oh my what a to do! You should think yourself lucky as I have a brother in law who, in the 50s, worked on the development of a British pacemaker at a certain automotive electrical company known as 'The Prince of Darkness'.

Seriously do what you are told as we want you around for a long time. All the best.

Jezus H. Christ! Scare a body $hitless why don't you.
Geoffp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:

That's what I really call kicking a man when he's down Very Happy

Seriuosly, a friend of ours had a mjor heart operation about three years ago and he can leave the rest of us behind on a walk, so with care you should be a lot better over time, and work round all the restrictions

All the best,

Geoff
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Hey you !

Take care mate, can't lose the main reason for coming down to the Herne Bay show this year.

Just take it easy, awaiting to have some more checks and diagnostics on my tickers as well, soon.
Cardioversion last year didn't work, been up and down since.

Just remember take things a bit slower with more tea breaks during the day.

Roger

Thanks Roger, you've just reminded me I haven't got my entries in for the HB shows yet. Hope your heart problems soon get sorted I had a quad bypass in the 90s and have been fit as a fiddle up until recently.
I can now claim the ticker has been re-plumbed, and rewired. The doctor's going to MOT me in 5 weeks time if MOTs for pre-war models haven't been scrapped by then.

Many thanks to all of you for your good wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: