classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Chrome effect plastic sheet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Chrome effect plastic sheet Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Anyone know where I can get flat, cuttable sheets of chrome effect plastic? I've found sticky backed film in various places, but really after something a bit thicker.

Not actually wanted for a car job, I'm putting in a new shower and want to cover up some cracked tiles where the pipes come through the wall. The old one had covers round the pipes and mixer which hid most of it, but the new one's one of these minimalist jobbies and we can now see what a lousy job was done by the muppet who fitted the last one... Rolling Eyes
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps an alternative for you?
I had a similar problem around my shower head years ago.
I carefully cut the top off a plastic, bottle shaped container. Actually a brake fluid bottle if I remember right. Slid over the offending pipe and painted to match the bathroom suite it looked good. And still does after 20+ years. No one has ever realised it is not a proprietory part.
Jim.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

It's a bit too bad for that I'm afraid... the new shower comes with some largeish pipe collars to hide the usual rough edges, but this is more than rough edges:

It looked even worse than this yesterday, but I patched it up last night, filled the holes and stuck the bits of tile back with some cement and PVA putty. It might have been OK the first time it was fitted, but the wally who did the job put it where it fouled the shower door Rolling Eyes and then had to move it over, the door only just cleared it even then. Pipes go through the wall at weird angles too, looks I'm going to have some "fun" soldering new ones on the other side Evil or Very Mad , old ones took ages to get out as the wall makes a very good heat sink!
Greg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 'Mirror' type Plasticard from Model Shops, this usually comes in A4 sizes (approx)...this can be cut to shape quite easily.
If you require a larger size, try your local Signwriter/ supplier.
Failing that would a Stainless Steel plate not be any good?..this also available in highly polished 'Mirror' Finish.
All the best
Greg
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the tip re plasticard, I've been having a look and weighing it up. What worries me is whether the chrome/mirror finish will survive the shower environment, and the possibility that it might warp.

Other option is chrome finish ABS plastic, but what I've seen of that it's a more brittle stuff and could be hard to cut.

Stainless would be nice, but expensive, so that's out. Object of this exercise is to get an acceptable finish without spending £££'s we don't have!

Also found some aluminium composite stuff online, looks nice, but again it isn't cheap.

Actually we've been debating this a bit and are now thinking the thin stickybacked stuff might not be too bad, it's a darkish corner and what will be noticeable behind the mixer unit is a moot point. Plus the stuff's cheap, can be had in exterior grades and is readily available as "smalls" on fleabay. I'm no great fan of fleabay these days, but there's no getting away from the fact you can find things, and small quantities of things for one off jobs, on there that you couldn't get anywhere else.

Decisions, decisions... Confused
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrylic mirror sheet is available 3mm thick. Just 'google' it and you can find many places to buy it from.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: