classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hypoid rear axle oil
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, I opened a can of worms (or should that be oil) with this thread!

Anyway, I sorted my rear diff problem. My elderly neighbour had a couple of bottles of exactly what I needed - SAE 90 hypoid. Not sure how long it had been on his shelf but it had a barcode so not as old as my car!

Anyway, I'm now sorting out the overdrive/ gearbox oil.

Ford specified SAE EP 80 back in the 50's. For mainly short journeys in fair weather should I go for the EP 75W/80 or the EP 80W/90?

Thanks
David
NONORT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the last debacle can I respectfuly say get in touch with one of the suppliers of oils. May I sugest Morris Oils of Shrewsbury who have been most helpful to me in the past when aquiring oils for obscure cars and steam engines. I have no conection with the company whatever.
richardlw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what these forums are for, clearing up things. Also very good for updating.
As you mention, 1000 mile intervals are no longer valid. Today's gear oils have sulfur/phos additive systems that last much longer than the older lead based systems, easily more than we put on a classic car in 2 or 3 years. Also, once the gears have broken in, (after first oil change) you don't really need as much EP as when they are new.

There is nothing in motor oils different from gear oils as far as stickiness (in general - there are some specialty products).

In some differentials, where leakage is a problem, you can us an EP #00 grease with a 150 to 220 base oil. that will give you the same EP, the same viscosity, but with a bit of thickener or "sponge" to keep it in place. Chevron's Delo Greas EP NLGI 00 would be excellent in those cases. It is a 189 cSt base oil with EP additives and 4% "sponge" or thickener to hold it. Several brands have similar greases.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAB Cruiser wrote:
Blimey, I opened a can of worms (or should that be oil) with this thread!

Anyway, I sorted my rear diff problem. My elderly neighbour had a couple of bottles of exactly what I needed - SAE 90 hypoid. Not sure how long it had been on his shelf but it had a barcode so not as old as my car!

Anyway, I'm now sorting out the overdrive/ gearbox oil.

Ford specified SAE EP 80 back in the 50's. For mainly short journeys in fair weather should I go for the EP 75W/80 or the EP 80W/90?

Thanks
David

Hi David, as in my previous post EP80 is available from Smith & Allan,cheers,JD.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Morris Oils.. Give them a ring, tell them what you need the oil for, and let them tell you what you need, then buy some.

Other than that I could look in my oil stores if you know what oil grade you need.

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: