classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A Ford Dealership through the ages
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: A Ford Dealership through the ages Reply with quote

Over the last few months, I have been hunting through thousands of on-line photographs held by various State libraries. Unfortunately, even if the particular library has the photos neatly together, the search engine scatters and mixes them, so it was with some glee that I managed to find and arrange some pics of a Queensland Ford dealership into some sort of order.

I can't find out when the dealership started, but here is the earliest photo that I can find.

Before the end of the Model T Era, they had moved (built) new premises.

Interestingly, the next photo is supposed to be circa 1935. The winged pyramid sign is still on the building, but that emblem ceased to be used with the coming of the Model A at the end of 1927.

Here is a later photo, definitely post 1932 with V8 signage.

The next photo jumps forward to 1953, with the building decorated for the coronation.

By some time in the 1960's it has now become Cresswells Ford. Parking meters have invaded the street, and in the centre-road spaces there are 3 Holden's (OZ G.M.) and a Japanese confection.

Here are some Oz-built Fords of the period.

There were two other associated photos. A pre-1917 T chassis, possibly at the rear of the premises in the first photo.

And J.P. Earl in a nice new 1929, special bodied De-Luxe Model A.

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.yell.com/static/image/ea13cc72-664d-4c53-a48f-1f375fbf49e9_image_jpeg?t=tr/w:550/h:412/m:FitPad

http://www.yell.com/static/image/be85df1c-9b42-444a-a1c0-83b4a1bc1832_image_jpeg?t=tr/w:550/h:412/m:FitPad

It would be interesting to learn if there is a connection between the Australian garage and the Cresswell's garage where I used to live near Wokingham, Berkshire, which has been going since 1923.

It's probably just a coincidence.

There are fewer well established family concerns these days which is a shame in my opinion.

http://www.yell.com/biz/cresswells-garage-wokingham-wokingham-782428/#
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest, Ray. I fear it is just a coincidence. Cresswell is not a particularly uncommon name, and looking at a local phone book, there are quite a few listed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: