classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Aveling DX8 governor problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Aveling DX8 governor problems. Reply with quote

The governor on the Ruston CSB engine on my 1941 Aveling DX8 motor roller is a bit past its sell by date and the engine is a little reluctant to idle reliably, below are three pictures, the first two just show the general arrangement of the thing and the last is a close up of the wear (similar in 4 other places). The bob weights pivot on the shafts, but the shafts have been moving in the cast main body which is now considerably worn (which they shouldn't as they are theoretically held solid by little taper cotter pins)

Any ideas how best to make them tight in the main body again? all I can think of is to run the MIG welder over them, this would probably work but is a little drastic.

Cheers Julian.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the Forum been introduced to the DX8?

Bar welding, could you not bush them? I might not be able to, someone handy at that sort of thing could, I know a man good rates...., but then I think I would want to weld them up and drill them again if I were to do them myself.

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from looking at the photo's I'b be inclined to bush them, welding can introduce other challenges on cast/machined components.

Dave
Julian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm going to have a go at turning up some bushes, first I'll have to get the housing drilled and reamered out so I know what need to be done bushing wise.

One of those jobs that you wished you'd not started Crying or Very sad

Julian.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilling oval holes round requires a really rigid set up to stop the drill wandering off the required centre, it also require a hole slightly larger than the maximum width of the oval.
I have done it on a smaller scale by grinding the opening to something like round (and on centre) with a grind stone on a dremel, and then using a milling cutter rather than a drill bit before reaming, not the way a professional machine shop would tackle it Shocked .... sometimes needs must!.

Dave
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dave has explained my way I would do it too, or take it to a man to drill, not a huge job..
Julian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
I think Dave has explained my way I would do it too, or take it to a man to drill, not a huge job..

I've got a drill - it's Clive's Dad's (ex) Modig vertical mill, ex British Aerospace tool room!

Julian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: