classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ALTERNATOR ON HILLMAN MINX SERIES V
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
welshrover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: ALTERNATOR ON HILLMAN MINX SERIES V Reply with quote

HI FOLKS
has anybody fitted an alternator to a series v hillman minx,the reason bieng, the headlights are ok when driving at speed but when i slow down the lights go quite dim, there is a new regulater box on the car, ,the dynamo is only putting out about 12.98 volts when revved so im guessing the bushes in the dynamo .its my wifes car so im trying to sort it out as she uses it every day, , it is already negative earth ,but the lucas dynamo has been changed for a different type, if it was still the lucas type i would change the brushes .but not being lucas im wondering about availability of parts ,the reason why i'm inquiring is the engine mount is quite big on the dynamo side . and a little close , i know i could try it, but i wanted to know if any one has fitted one before i wasted my time buying and faffing about trying to fit an alternator.
thanks craig Very Happy
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the regulator?

If you want to know how just ask. Or take it to an autoelectrician. It's not a big job.

Art
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig

The dynamo output voltage is regulated by the compensated control box, unregulated a dynamo voltage would just keep on rising with speed, to set it up correctly you need a couple of good meters as current and voltage have to be measured at the same time, its a straight forward procedure and if you require I can post them.

Moving to an alternator is also quite straight forward.

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-read your post....the control box and dynamo need to be compatible;

The control box adds resistance to the dynamo field circuit as part of the regulation, if your replacement dynamo has a different field winding resistance to the original Lucas unit, then regulation wont function correctly.

Cheers

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ALTERNATOR ON HILLMAN MINX SERIES V Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
HI FOLKS
has anybody fitted an alternator to a series v hillman minx,the reason bieng, the headlights are ok when driving at speed but when i slow down the lights go quite dim, there is a new regulater box on the car, ,the dynamo is only putting out about 12.98 volts when revved so im guessing the bushes in the dynamo .its my wifes car so im trying to sort it out as she uses it every day, , it is already negative earth ,but the lucas dynamo has been changed for a different type, if it was still the lucas type i would change the brushes .but not being lucas im wondering about availability of parts ,the reason why i'm inquiring is the engine mount is quite big on the dynamo side . and a little close , i know i could try it, but i wanted to know if any one has fitted one before i wasted my time buying and faffing about trying to fit an alternator.
thanks craig Very Happy

Interesting to note that the dynamo output voltage is not even enough to fully charge your battery regardless of the requirements of any electrical drain.
The minimum voltage to fully charge a 12 volt (nominal voltage) battery is 13.2 volts - and that would take for ever!
Jim.
Julian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ALTERNATOR ON HILLMAN MINX SERIES V Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:

Interesting to note that the dynamo output voltage is not even enough to fully charge your battery regardless of the requirements of any electrical drain.
The minimum voltage to fully charge a 12 volt (nominal voltage) battery is 13.2 volts - and that would take for ever!
Jim.

Unless the battery had a duff cell or was badly discharged, then I suspect you may see dynamo output of that magnitude as the current limiter bobbin in the regulator would be working away. (assuming it's a three bobbin regulator?)

Julian.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current is Amps NOT volts and Volts drive Amps (pressure [Volts] and flow [Amps]).

Cannot have excessive Amps with low Volts (except in a short circuit).
Jim.
welshrover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think ill fit an alternator the regulator is new but looks like one of those crappy aftermarket things not a lucas one .so that, fitted with an after market dynamo also not lucas .the previous owner must have liked the chinese replicas a lot. ive replaced a lot of the cheap crap parts that are floating about ,that have been put on this car Rolling Eyes
Julian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
i think ill fit an alternator the regulator is new but looks like one of those crappy aftermarket things not a lucas one .so that, fitted with an after market dynamo also not lucas .the previous owner must have liked the chinese replicas a lot. ive replaced a lot of the cheap crap parts that are floating about ,that have been put on this car Rolling Eyes

Don't be too hasty, I've just fitted a cheap crappy Chinese regulator to my Massey 135. I had the opposite problem to you it was charging at about 16volts and the reading on the ammeter indicated that about 5 minutes of this would end with the commutator throwing a segment or two! (been there before Sad )

They're dead easy to adjust, takes about 10 seconds, mine is now performing fine (for now)!

Julian.
welshrover

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks
ive tried fitting an alternator to the wifes series v minx but theres not enough room for adjustment as the engine mounting bracket fouls it .
it looks like ive got to look at setting up the regulator / dynamo. the problem is the lights at night are terrible its ok (well ok on high beam) when the revs are high but as it slows down the lights are like two candles.
ive never had a car with this problem before so have never had to do it .
if anyone can give me an insight on this i would be greatful as the wife wont drive it at night .i drove it to my nearest town which is 6 miles away and i forgot to turn off high beam, i passed about 8 cars and not one flashed me so i dont think things are working right .
please help Confused
Julian

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
hi folks
ive tried fitting an alternator to the wifes series v minx but theres not enough room for adjustment as the engine mounting bracket fouls it .
it looks like ive got to look at setting up the regulator / dynamo. the problem is the lights at night are terrible its ok (well ok on high beam) when the revs are high but as it slows down the lights are like two candles.
if anyone can give me an insight on this i would be greatful as the wife wont drive it at night .i drove it to my nearest town which is 6 miles away and i forgot to turn off high beam, i passed about 8 cars and not one flashed me so i dont think things are working right .
please help Confused

Measure the battery voltage when the lights are 'in two candles' mode and report your findings.

I think you could have a battery going duff.....

Julian.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick, but not altogether infallible test of the dynamo before you refit it is to join the two terminals together and with jump leads or whatever apply power to the teminals from a 12v battery while earthing the case. Take care not to connect the wrong way round or you will alter the polarity of the dynamo. If OK the dynamo should run like an electric motor, but only slowly.
If that is OK your problem is likely the regulator.
Another test of the dynamo on the car is to short the terminals together with wires detached and connect a voltmeter between the terminals and earth. Start the engine and watch the voltage as you SLOWLY increase the revs. A good dynamo will give a voltage reading spiraling rapidly upwards as you increase the revs. Do not let it go above (say) about 20 volts or you can damage the unit. And perhaps your Voltmeter.
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original dynamo and CVC control box in the Series V Minx was very effective and intelligent. You really didn't have to think about what loads were applied or when. Next best thing to an alternator.

Peter
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Julian"]
welshrover wrote:
hi folks
please help Confused

Measure the battery voltage when the lights are 'in two candles' mode and report your findings.

I think you could have a battery going duff.....

Julian. ive put a new battery on when i bought it ,that must of at least made the car worth at least £50.00 Laughing Laughing
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife noticed when the engine is running faster when she puts on the indicator it flashes at normal speed, but when she slows down the
indicators slow down too as well as the lights dimming . Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: