classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The AVO 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: The AVO 8 Reply with quote

AVO 8's got mentioned on another post not so long ago, they are in the electrical test and repair world, the daddy of analogue multimeters and beautifully engineered devices.

I find an analogue meters far more informative to use on classic vehicles than a digital, simple things like seeing the needle kick when a iffy connection is touched.

I have 3 of them!!!, in the pic below, left to right, a Mk3 from the 60's a Mk5 from the 80's and a Mk7 from 2006; the year they stooped being made. The 2 newer ones are the one I use, the older one will be in the Z van as part of the engineers "kit".

They also measure AC current, something you wont find on many meters analogue or digital

When the last AVO 8's were made in 2006 I think they were about £750 to buy Shocked ....however you can, these days pick them up on eBay for £20-30, a real bargain Very Happy

Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up with digital meters as they do not seem to last and suit old cars. I have one or two old AVO's and use them for resistance and volts but have not yet worked out how to connect and calibrate for Dwell.

I have got a good Snap-On analoque Dwell meter though.

I also use a Megga for insulation testing but these are realy for mains power circuits and I am not sure what it would do to sensitive electronics and alternator diodes though on our more modern classics
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Julian

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking resistance in it's simplest form ie continuity testing is where I find the digital ones lacking.The reading on the auto ranging models dance around all over the place and are so darned sensitive that touching both probes with your fingers has it registering. Very hard to draw proper conclusions:-(

I need to buy an analogue one soon!

Julian.
Dobbin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah memories. I used to use, repair and calibrate these old meters as part of my work years ago. They really were great bit of kit. In many ways they were more suited and preferable for fault finding than their digital counterparts and preferred by many of my colleagues. However with the advent of the 'cheap' digital meter we can all have one or two now for very little outlay to diagnose all manner of faults without having to borrow from a friend.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a technician repairing print machines back in my youth. They are good meters, but they lost there appeal when I had to carry them on trips to the IOW on the ferry over my shoulder with toolbox and spare parts.

I have to admit that I welcomed the digital replacement. The deflection of the needle was missed when watching for quick solenoid pulses though.

Kels.
Salopian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my AVO 8 mk 5 new in 1976 and its been incrediably useful and active ever since.
The one to look out for is the AVO 12 which was intended for automotive applications. The ranges are suitable for 6 12 and 24 volt vehicles and if you're lucky it will be in a leather case with shunts so you can measure starter motor current draw. Mine cost all of 3 quid and saves the 8 in the garage.
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up with AVO's, from the 50s right through to the present day I have always had one at hand.
This is my old '7' I've had since time began. The glass is cracked, the original leads are long gone (Have you seen the price of them on ebay?)
But it still works and is the first thing I reach for if a 'lekky' problem arises.
I have tried all the digitals but somehow an analogue always tells you more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: