classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1934 Austin 10/4 clutch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Doz

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: 1934 Austin 10/4 clutch Reply with quote

Having got the engine and transmission out of my 1934 Austin 10 2-seater, I'm now trying to take it apart for refurbishment. This is the oldest engine and box I've ever worked on, and things are all just a bit different to what I'm used to! Can anyone give me any pointers on dismantling the clutch and removing the flywheel? It's the older pattern with the release bearing oiler tube and the linings rivetted to the flywheel and the pressure plate. I removed the outer ring of bolts that appear to hold the cover to the flywheel and naively thought that would be enough to remove the cover/pressure plate etc, but it's still solid so I'm not sure whether I've missed something, or whether it's just rusted together. Any pointers greatly appreciated!
Doz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought it was a sensible question... Laughing
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably no replies because no one knows the answer. A picture could help. I seem to recall some clutch assemblies had dowels to aid their alignment. It might be stuck on a dowel?

No special knowledge of your car, but early cars usually had the flywheel held onto a taper with a large nut.

Hope this is some encouragement.

Kels.
Doz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - it wasn't a criticism, merely at attempt at humour. Smile To be honest it's mainly the clutch cover I'm bothered about, the flywheel I shall worry about when I get to it later. I'm reaching the conclusion that the cover is stuck/rusted to the flywheel as I can't find anything else anywhere, I'll perhaps try a few gentle taps with the Swindon Micrometer...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory I think Pitmans did a small maintenance book that covered the 10/4, might be worth tracking down a copy? I've not had mine apart so can't really advise sorry!

(edit: one on ebay 99p start - item 270984592532)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Doz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, I have the Pitmans and Cassell books but unfortunately neither go any further than normal adjustment when it comes to clutch. It appears to be very similar to the Austin 7 clutch of the same period and I know a few people with those, I'll try and have a word with one of them. Failing that I'm sure someone at the ATDC will know.
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have one of that type of clutch on my 10/4. I can only remember having to undo the bolts and I think there were a couple of pegs. The one's that are jammed solid are the only ones of that type that don't slip, so make sure you fit uprated springs or your life may be made a misery.
I have fitted the later one to my 10/4 and can even tow with it.

If you still have problems in a weeks time when I get back off hols' I will see if I still have my old one.
Doz

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I had heard that they're not great! I have another engine and box, I've not looked yet but if that has the later clutch I'll use that one when I get around to rebuilding it. Otherwise it'll be a new set of stronger springs. In the meanwhile I'm going to try a little gentle (yes, really) persuasion... Smile
Doz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis done, it was merely the effects of 78 years-worth of crud sticking it together. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: