classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Massey 135
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Julian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Massey 135 Reply with quote

Thanks to the Ferguson Club and a committee member's hard work I was able to get it back on the road yesterday with it's original registration (as the DVLA had lost the records!). I've had this machine for a few years and it still works a little for its living. It was mechanically OK on the major bits, but otherwise pretty poor and the tin work was a mess. But par for the course for a 1967 machine with 10,050 hrs on it! last winter I gave it some TLC and a coat of paint.

Julian.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, another tractor to shunt Rosetta in and out with. Smile
Julian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Looking good, another tractor to shunt Rosetta in and out with. Smile

Dave, you're well behind the times mate. Surprised I've got an Atlas Copco road compressor for my sand blaster now and I now can couple it up to the boiler and run it on compressed air. I've even manged to 'steam' it up onto the low-loader using compressed air!

I have tried moving the roller with the 135, it's OK on level hardstanding otherwise the tractor just churns up the dirt and the roller stays still Sad

Are you steaming up over the bank holiday? I'm off to Swadlincote just now to pick up a secondhand gearbox for the landrover.

Julian.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I remember discusing the idea of the compressor with you and Clive, so it works does it?

My Brown tows the Mistress grand job, no problems other than stopping, then again my Mistress is a shade smaller than Rossetta. So what pressure have you got the compressor set at? Does yours have a boost switch for more air? I can't quite remember it. I will have to come and see it soon.

Not steaming no, going to see family I think. Are you steaming at all?

Do you have gearbox issues then?

Cheers

Dave
welshrover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice vehicle, my neighbours got a 1953 massey 35 in original condition ie worn. it works every day of the year on his farm and only uses a modern tractor which is fitted with spikes for bailing .he was saying the other day the other one is ok but its had more problems with electrics than his old 35 has had in the thirty odd year hes owned it .mainly the electric p.t.o.and poor wiring looms( dont you just love modern technology) Very Happy
Julian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Hi

I remember discusing the idea of the compressor with you and Clive, so it works does it?

My Brown tows the Mistress grand job, no problems other than stopping, then again my Mistress is a shade smaller than Rossetta. So what pressure have you got the compressor set at? Does yours have a boost switch for more air? I can't quite remember it. I will have to come and see it soon.

Not steaming no, going to see family I think. Are you steaming at all?

Do you have gearbox issues then?

Cheers

Dave

Yes the compressor works fine, it just moves it at a slow speed in bottom gear as the engine can take far more air than the compressor can supply. I have it set at about 100psi. To get in on the low-loader you have to get the front roll on the bed, stop, wait for 10 seconds for the boiler to re-charge with compressed air then open the regulator and get on fully. That's a full boiler full of air required to do that and just shows how much more effective steam is with it's expansive properties. The compressor is a ''two tool'' machine with an air cooled two cylinder Deutz Diesel. You wouldn't want to travel far on air as there's some doubt about steam cylinder lubrication, but a few yards around the yard is fine.

Gearboxes: My series 3 box is OK but I did remove the remains of a 3rd/4th synchro spring from it last time I changed the oil, that's a very common LR gearbox problem. Not the end of the world as there's 3 springs but is a good indication that the box is getting tired and when input and layshaft bearings go you can get stuck Sad Anyway, the box I just got is a ''suffix A'' box ie a factory re-conditioned one, I plan to rebuild this up to a good standard if its internal condition makes it economically viable and swap it into my vehicle. (and also swap the overdrive over) It's just a project to take up the odd spare moment over the winter probably.

No steaming for me but I have the entry pass for the Cheshire Steam Fair now, are you attending?

Julian.
Julian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
nice vehicle, my neighbours got a 1953 massey 35 in original condition ie worn. it works every day of the year on his farm and only uses a modern tractor which is fitted with spikes for bailing .he was saying the other day the other one is ok but its had more problems with electrics than his old 35 has had in the thirty odd year hes owned it .mainly the electric p.t.o.and poor wiring looms( dont you just love modern technology) Very Happy

Indeed. The 35 & 135 tractors are probably the best the world has ever seen. Particularly the Perkins AD3-152 engine in mine as it's without doubt the best off-road Diesel engine of all time, even to this day. Mine has over 10,000 hours on it and starts on a -10C morning after about 1/2 a revolution. Modern machines are an absolute nightmare when they go wrong, clutch packs, electronics, electrics etc etc. My little 135 is almost as old as me, has worked hard all its life and I still have it as a working tractor (but now looking nice enough for the odd road run) today. It does the jobs I ask it to do and you can fix anything with about 2 spanners!

Julian.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds good to me. but do admit that the air receiver or boiler must be quite large.. Smile

I wonder if it would be worth putting a few turns of oil in before using her on air as a boost etc. Like you say it may not emulsify with it not being steam etc, but then dry steam and all... As you say a few yards round the yard will be fine. You just have it on a long hose do you, where is is connected to?

Spare box sounds handy.

Not had my Cheshire pass, but due to be going.. Will Rossetta be there...?

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: