classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone renovated an old Lucas solenoid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Anyone renovated an old Lucas solenoid? Reply with quote

Quite a while since I've posted on here so hello chaps, I trust all's well? Smile

The starter solenoid on my Aston is as far as I can tell the original but it's becoming a bit intermittent. Sometimes it doesn't start on the key but does when I push the rubber button. I've noticed the black Bakelite centre is now slightly loose in the ali' casing. So I'm thinking I might be able to disassemble it, clean it and reassemble and re-glue the centre in the case.

What I'm trying to avoid is replacing it with a modern equivalent. They are available for £20 but they look pants and made of cheap tin.

Anyone got any experience in doing this? Thanks... Question
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

have a go at it, worst case, you need to buy a new, but then you atleast tried to save the old one.

It it dont pull, when you activate the button? then its probably the windings, or maybe just a bad connection.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button is manual so I think all it does is make the contact inside. Anyway after a little wiggle it works on the key again so it must be a lose connection inside. I just wondered if there are lots of gubbins inside which will fall out if I stirp it apart. I'll just have to have a go! Thanks...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lucas ST10 starter switch has a replaceable contact, the contacts do wear, why not buy a repro one and use the innards in the original?

Dave
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
The Lucas ST10 starter switch has a replaceable contact, the contacts do wear, why not buy a repro one and use the innards in the original?

Dave

Idea Now there's an idea! Thanks...
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Just had a thought. Why not try and loosen the lock nut on the copper studs, push it in and turn it 1/2 a turn.this will present a new 'face' to the contact plate. I've never tried it but someone has to...... Go on, you know you want to.

Art
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event, on eBay I found an identical early 60s replacement for about £30, still in it's original Lucas box - perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: