classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

6 volt coil getting warm
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe try the coil on the other side of the bulkhead? If you could get a longer lead and make sure it is insulated through a largish hole, would that help? In the cab must be significantly cooler, as your not cooked are you?

That would check the existing coil, and if it happened again, take the other nos one to do a bit of a swap around for the way home?
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, I had a similar experience with an A35 lots of years ago. The problem here was that the coil case was cracked and it had lost most of its oil. It got hot and eventually gave up until it cooled down. I reckon coil substitution should fix the problem

Paul
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hottest coil I have ever come across was supposedly an oil filled coil (to aid cooling), where the oil had leaked away over the years. That too brought everything to a standstill after a few minutes as it got hot. I don't recall seeing a coil like the one on your photo and don't know whether it should contain oil or not.
Jim.
Addition:-
It looks as if Paul Beaumont and I posted simoultaneously!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
Rick, I had a similar experience with an A35 lots of years ago. The problem here was that the coil case was cracked and it had lost most of its oil. It got hot and eventually gave up until it cooled down. I reckon coil substitution should fix the problem

Paul

I think that'll be the next thing I try, I'll report back once I've had chance for another test run Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: