classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WAC - my 1957 Austin A35
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
richardlw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a big interest here in restoration. In Santa Cruz we are about a dozen. I forget whether he told me they were here or he brought them brom Cochabamba or La Paz. The population here in Santa Cruz in 1955 was about 58,000 (compared to 2 million today). There were no paved roads, not even around the plaza. There was a guy here collecting Austin/Morris vehicles of all sorts to restore a few years ago. Supposedly had about 18 different cars/pickups. Refused to sell anything according to a friend who knew him, since was going to open a museum. He took ill, moved in with his daughter, and his son-in-law sold off everything for scrap metal about a month before I found out.

La Paz has an active group of auto enthusiasts, a there are a few in Cochambamba. Many of the older cars here were brought from Cochabamba.

In Tarija, where I live part of the year and have found and am restoring my cars, there are 8 or so of us into restorations, but so far we haven't all met with our cars. Probably a total of 5 cars finished. We will probably start organizing when I go back next month.
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of updating the clubs A35 register so if you own an A35 saloon please could you send me all the details please? chassis number, reg, pics, history, current state and intended use etc etc to a35@austina30a35ownersclub.co.uk

You don't need to be a club member but if you are please quote your membership number. These details are for club purposes only and will not be shared with anyone.

thanks
richardlw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend didn't come tonight, but I found out a little more. I'm not sure why I thought there were four. this is the story I got tonight.

Originally two of these were imported into La Paz, Bolivia by an electric company. At some point one went over the cliff, leaving only one. That is the one that my friend has.

I should see him next week, and the pickup if he brings it. Sometimes he comes with his V-8 powered 28 Ford tourer.
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richardlw wrote:
My friend didn't come tonight, but I found out a little more. I'm not sure why I thought there were four. this is the story I got tonight.

Originally two of these were imported into La Paz, Bolivia by an electric company. At some point one went over the cliff, leaving only one. That is the one that my friend has.

I should see him next week, and the pickup if he brings it. Sometimes he comes with his V-8 powered 28 Ford tourer.

thanks Richard and fingers crossed for tonight Smile
richardlw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmundo came last night, but with the Ford instead of the Austin. He will take a picture of the ID plate and email it to me.

He says there were actually three of these imported. His, the one that went over the cliff, and one more. The "one more" and the one that went over the cliff were in a scrap yard in La Paz (about 600 miles from here) last he knew (where he got his) but well cut up for scrap metal.

I asked if they were so cut up not even a crazy person like me could be interested in them and he said no way could they be restored.

I'll post the pic or pics when he sends them
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Richard Smile
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAC is almost ready to go off to the sprayers. Spent most of the last week with a mate removing the wings for the first time ever.

I knew the bottom of the wings needed replacing as did the sill nose cones.

wing off

all cut out ready to weld

welded up

primed

new wing repair sections being made

top coated

new substitute rubber seals made and fitted.

more pics to follow
richardlw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you getting it together.

I got to take pictures of the plate and engine # last night with my phone. Haven't had internet all day to post though.

The numbers look weird, but that is the way they were when he bought it. They match the paperwork and he has a blank plate as well.

WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the pictures Richard. Very interesting. Very interesting indeed because the highest PU (body) number we ever knew existed was 489 so this being 5 higher gives us a lot of research to do. The plates are correct.

The second pic I am assuming is the engine number? Certainly looks like it to me. Was the main chassis plate on the vehicle too? This should be on the A pillar - assuming your left hand drive then on the drivers A pillar. That would confirm the chassis number too.
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is now all stripped and ready to go for paint, hopefully on Thursday afternoon.

Wings and boot lid are back off and stripped. Interior is completely dismantled. In fact if it isn't bolted down its pretty much off the car.

Had my little dash mod made. The idea was to remove the standard switch panel and fit two gauges in there as well as all the standard switches. It's worked really well. In this pic the gauges are only used as a mock up and I will be using Smiths Oil and temperature ones once fitted.

richardlw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAC_Paul wrote:
Many thanks for the pictures Richard. Very interesting. Very interesting indeed because the highest PU (body) number we ever knew existed was 489 so this being 5 higher gives us a lot of research to do. The plates are correct.

The second pic I am assuming is the engine number? Certainly looks like it to me. Was the main chassis plate on the vehicle too? This should be on the A pillar - assuming your left hand drive then on the drivers A pillar. That would confirm the chassis number too.

Yest, the second is the engine number.
The ID plate or VIN plate is on the firewall, almost horizontal. It is LHD. Interesting on the number. It is higher than I thought as well, but I am far from an expert on them.
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about time for an update.

Well WAC is back and just about ready for the national rally next weekend.

It's been a lot of hours with a few snagging issues along the way but all worth it.

I have fully rewired and added in new bits and gauges. Rebuilt the car, doors and runners, interior and so much else I can hardly remember.

But heres the results:

richardlw

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those extra gauges look like a tidy job. Any chance of a close up shot?
WAC_Paul

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
Those extra gauges look like a tidy job. Any chance of a close up shot?
this is a work in progress shot but you get the idea

and this was during the design stage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: