classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Too scared to use my new engine stand!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Too scared to use my new engine stand!! Reply with quote

I've already got one engine kicking about from my ongoing resto, so when I realised that I needed to take the engine out of my '47 Singer Roadster - saw it as a good chance to buy a engine stand.

The two engines are both small <1litre, and probably weigh ~100kg? (no gearbox).
The trouble is that there are no decent holes to bolt onto, and even when I think of making an adaptor (thought about longways and sideways!), I'm still worried about all the weight on the side wall of the casing?

Am I being a cissy?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Too scared to use my new engine stand!! Reply with quote

Fair enough!

When I make the bracket, what thickness of cardboard should I use?
fiatguy23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, 3mm shoud do the trick Laughing

I would feel uneasy on using one too, I'd be too afraid of breaking something or bending the crank. too many risks. However when I rebuilt the engine for my Fiat i did it all on the ground, thats something I dont suggest! Bench space was at a premium back then Rolling Eyes
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not partially dismantle it, sump off etc before making a bracket to fit some of them holes too? might be stronger on two faces?

Not sure I should tell you this, but we used to make engine stands when at the college, and a large tractor 6 cylinder was mounted one day on a commercial stand, it snapped the pivot that it was all mounted on, that was something silly like 2" round, it did it twice, after replacing the pin, so we made one that supported both sides. what a royal waste of money that was, took about 3 months, we even made the gearbox and ring gear to rotate it, it worked, but it got left in the rain outside, then scrapped eventually, never used. Good exercise though.....
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a proprietary Clarke one for Riley 1½ engines but don't trust it for 2½.
Mind you, if you have ever seen a Riley 2½ out of the car you won't be surprised at this. No comparison with the Singer unit.
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: I was a Cissy! Reply with quote

It seems I was a bit of a quiche eater...

The stand seems to hold it fine!

I made an adaptor plate by drilling a spare sheet of 4mm steel and bolted to the bell housing & stand - Seems quite stable.
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j418/oldred05/DSC02780.jpg

The plate flexes very slightly, but I like that as I can tell if the stand is under strain. I would rather that the plate flex than the dodgy post-war cast iron of the block. Anyway I won't leave it long without some support, there is no glory if the casting does suddenly go for want of a block of wood.

Thanks for holding my hand!
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even when i had my Ford FE v8's on a rated stand, i'd put a prop of some sort under the crank snout to take some of the strain. i was by no means concerned about the bellhousing, i was worried the stand might give!
better worried and proactive than p***ed and reactive!
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly my feeling!

Overall it's been a great help.....of course that was after I had to lift the engine & everything off again, turned the bolts round so they faced the other way etc.......As I say, since I can now rotate the engine!!, it has been a great help! Embarassed
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these last year from an autojumble, stuck a 2.3 Vauxhall short engine on it, and I also am a bit worried about the weight all on one end, to the extent that I leave the engine crane alongside it with a tie-down strap loosely around the block "just in case". It's one of those that has movable "arms" that you can bolt into the various bellhousing mounting holes on the block.

I'm not sure I fancy trying to undo torqued-down bolts on the stand, so will probably put it on the bench for that job. Still, in the meantime it keeps the block off the floor of the garage.
62rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your stand can rotate the block, the trick to applying torque is to apply it upwards if possible. that way, you have the advantage of weight working with you to keep the mass in place. i try NEVER to apply it horizontally when working on the stand. it's an added hassle to keep re-aligning the block, but it's safer than having it tip over whilst you're putting all your weight against a breaker bar!

BTW i've also laid planks across the beams of my portable hoist and lowered many engines so that the weight is almost all on the hoist legs instead of dangling in air so that i could wrench away on it.
many methods of defurring domestic felines.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - it does rotate, so I'll keep that in mind when I come to strip it down.
richardlw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the "no expense sparred" engine stand I used for my Corvair. It consists of a piece of crankshaft in a bearing. Drilled holes in that 1/2" steel plate to bolt to the bell housing. Tightening the end holds it in any position.

norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Clarke one, and used it when overhauling my Morris 10 engine. I too was a bit apprehensive, especially since the engine, although only circa 1200 cc, is a big cast iron lump!
However, I looked online and found several threads on MG sites (this is essentially an XPAG engine) which said don't worry, and it proved to be a real boon.
I did however place a stool and some packing under the outer end when torqueing up the main bearings, etc.
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: