classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Engine Studs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Engine Studs Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find suitable engine studs....

I've done the usual internet search, but studs are generally listed by car not thread/size. The owners club doesn't really stock these.

I need:- 3/8 BSF 4-1/2" Long & 3/8 BSF 2" long - High Tensile Steel

I've tried S.Steel ones, but they appear to stretch......I have to keep re-tightening even before the engine has run. (~35ftlb)

Anyone own a car with engine studs of these sizes?
Phil Lincoln

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Engine Studs Reply with quote

You could try Namricks the nut and bolt and general fastener people.They have a web site and advertise in most of the classic car press. I have bought some BSF stuff from them over the years and they may be able to supply set bolts that can be made into studs.

Best regards Phil.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second Namrick - they had some long bolts made for me. Failing that, any decent engineering company ought to be able to cut and thread some suitable bar you'd think? Or am I missing something?

I'm not sure stainless is suitable for this, but I can't remember why not. It's something about which piece stretches to create the friction between stud and nut - I remember it was discussed when someone offered to make stainless wheel nuts, and we came the conclusion that this would be OK, but stainless studs would not.
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Stud Reply with quote

I've used Namrick quite a bit for BSF bolts...

I just wondered if anyone had say an old Austin etc who knew that the studs were 3/8 BSF.....that would make life easier than getting new parts cut.

Whats the down side to cutting the head off a suitable HT steel bolt?....apart from the plan shank in the middle of the stud.
welder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stud Reply with quote

whiteshadow wrote:
I've used Namrick quite a bit for BSF bolts...

I just wondered if anyone had say an old Austin etc who knew that the studs were 3/8 BSF.....that would make life easier than getting new parts cut.

Whats the down side to cutting the head off a suitable HT steel bolt?....apart from the plan shank in the middle of the stud.

I can't think of a downside if you feel that the plain shank isn't necessary. However, as an engineer myself I'd regard the manufacture of suitable studs as a straightforward operation.

Buy suitable Grade 8.8 round bar and appropriate die set, cut bars to length, chamfer/deburr the ends, and cut threads using die set. The operation is greatly eased by the application of quality cutting lube.

Alternatively take round bar and die set to a friendly local engineering shop and ask nicely. Wink

Ian
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: The Stud Reply with quote

I have a lathe, but it's no way good enough to cut the accurate threads required.

I would use dies, but I can't seem to find sets - I seem to remember that's the correct way to do it, and a one cut die is just to cut light threads or clean up old ones??

Arn't high tensile bolts heat treated after cutting??..
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel bolts expand more when hot, than ordinary steel, so may give problems with bearing caps, cylinder heads, etc. It is also difficult to match the grade of stainless steel to equivalent steel bolts, and you may have issues with regard to the SS being brittle under higher torques.
You will get corrosion issues if your components are alloy.
By all means use them in situations like sump pans, side covers etc. into a cast iron or steel thread, but suggest you stick with original spec for internal components, etc.
Boring Tucson SUV
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I just bought some really obsqure Studs off the shelf for a steam engine (Not the Robey) from WDS.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/

Other people to ask are http://seddonandblack.co.uk/engineering-studs/cat_280.html

Cheers

Dave
Handyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that these studs, if they are to hold down a cylinder head are made from steel bar using a ROLLED thread, as opposed to a cut thread. Rolled threads are much stronger as they do not cut across the grain structure of the bar, thereby creating a weakness.

My favourite material for these types of studs: EN16T, a good strong tensile steel, well able to cope.

If you get stuck for getting these, PM me as I think I have a sets of BSF rollers in the workshop. Send me a photo of your existing studs.

H
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could set up a sideline doing these - my Rover P2 head-bolts are 3/8" BSF and are notorious for stretching
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Handyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil, I already make quite a few replica and restoration parts for 1920s & 1930s JAP engines, including castings, gaskets, studs, bolts, etc. so running up sets of studs for car engines should not be a problem.

PM me if you have a requirement as I always keep a good stock of tensile steels in bar, round and flats and can usually treat them as required.

H
notrag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Try www.thomassmithfasteners.com for all types of standard and special fasteners. They have lots of different stock sizes of imperial BSF & BSW. Also available on their online shop and they manufacture specials.

Tim
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this it seems some folk do not know the difference between a bolt and a set-screw.
I remember going into a shop called McKays in Cambridge for bolts to fix side rails to the body on a Herald many years ago.
A large sign over the counter said "DO YOU WANT BOLTS OR SET-SCREWS!"
I duly asked the counter hand for (I think 5/16 x 2.5inch UNF) BOLTS.
"Ahh" said he "are they the ones threaded all the way up?"
I'll leave the rest for you to think about.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: