classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Make do and mend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Make do and mend Reply with quote

Hi
from what people say there are many on here who grew up in the days of shortages, the 40's and 50's, when our parents were still adhering to the Wartime posters about make do and mend>

In these cash strapped times what have you done/used to save buying something?

Here is a Funnell and Jug either can be made from the same item, a Bleach bottle (Other bottles are available) though you need 2 bottles to make both items.
The funnell reach could be extended with a bit of hose and a hose/tap connection.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman, ever since I was about 7 years old and built a wheelbarrow from a shallow wooden box, some scraps of 2" x 1" timber and a thin slice of tree-trunk for a wheel, I have used available materials (frequently what many would call 'junk') to make, mend or create useable items. I get a lot of satisfaction from that!

Now, might I suggest that if you take your bleach bottle, and cut the bottom out of it, perhaps trimming the sides back a little at an angle, then what was originally a handle, becomes the handle of your scoop. Ideal for dispensing bulk animal feed, handling a multitude of dry items, but also handy for baleing (?) water out of your boat.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long after buying a new wheelbarrow, the inflatable tyre burst (probably due to over-loading with gravel).

Rather than splash out on a new wheel and tyre, I found that two old spoked pram wheels, when put together, matched the width of the original single wheel. A long nut and bolt dug out from the garage soon had the wheelbarrow back in action, and with its twin solid wheels and chrome spokes, not only looks better but can take virtually any load now Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Farmer John

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Make-do Reply with quote

Hi, you guys have one gallon plastic containers?
Remove the cap. Slice vertically down, through the centre of the threaded opening. Cut down to, but not through, the bottom. That is the hinge. Fold the cut piece down, fold up and screw cap on to close your new container.
Free! Stack a bunch together. Handle provided.
A four or five gallon would make a container big enough to hold all your spare wheelbarrow wheels, oil pourers, and jugs.
John
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an empty plastic gallon can with the lid on and the side cut out for draining oil. Have had it for years.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marina estate wrote:
I have an empty plastic gallon can with the lid on and the side cut out for draining oil. Have had it for years.

So have I.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad would have loved this thread Very Happy

The car related ones I remember as kid were; our kitchen bin originally had a plastic lid that broke, Dad replaced it with an old chrome hub cap Very Happy also in the kitchen was a pan , the pan lid's knob had engraved on it "SCREEN push washer" it was as you may recognise a knob off an old Tudor washer pump.

Dave
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That oil catch can reminded me of an episode a few years ago.

I was helping my Brother in law, decorator builder by trade,
We were clearing getting a warehouse ready for a local gent for a new escaped of his. go cart racing.

His son was there to ?help? us
He had his big boy racer Toyota pick up, birthday pressy from daddy, in the middle of the warehouse giving it a service Laughing

He emptied the sump on the floor then realised he had forgotten to buy the oil so, empty sump still and the sump plug in the middle of the puddle, he drove home to get some money from daddy to get some oil from his mates shop about 10 miles away.

Daddy was not too pleased.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple that you might find of interest.

I think that I might have posted these before, but quite a while ago.

Firstly a couple of years ago, I was transferring Standard 8 movie film to digital using a video camera and projector. The lamp blew on the projector, and I had a lot of hunting, without success to find a new lamp- frustrating as the projector was only about 40 years old!

The lamp had a base the same as any car tail-light, a bayonet connection, so I modified a Quartz-halogen headlight bulb into one of those vases, and got the projector working again-

Now for a motoring one. When replacing the clutch on my 1954 Rover 90, I found that the pedal-shaft bearing was badly worn, as was the shaft where the bearing had worn into it.

I had no way of re-building the shaft, and couldn't easily locate a new bearing, so I hunted through my selection of bits and pieces and made up a new bearing from scraps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: