classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Windows on ford prefect E493a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Windows on ford prefect E493a Reply with quote

Hi all, am resstoring a 53 prefect, which was genuine garage find. I have got it running( the easy part) and now am dismantling the body work in order to renovate and rustkill. I want to remove the windows to renew the channeling which is in bad condition. However the method given in my workshop manual does not seem to work. IE free window from channel, raise window tho highest point to expose bottom channel then slide window along to disengage fastenings window slide both ways but wont disengage.
Is there something I am missing?Can anyone help
COMMAD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried unscrewing the window regulator and slideing it out of doorglass channel. Question Question
safechief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ford prefect update Reply with quote

Apologies for not thanking Commad for his advice on windows. They all came out alright. Not looking forward to putting them back tho'
Update wise, 12V conversion complete and engine running and charging. Only gauge not working is temperature- any advice anyone?. The body shell is now stripped,all glass trim and seats removed underneath has been derusted and undersealed (no fun crawling round underneath with vehicle on stands at 70, bit claustrophobic what left of hair full of rust etc). Running boards removed and repaired, yet to re-rubber. Gear box, clutch and axle in good order, just have to change oil. Floor boards and plates removed, derusted and repainted All wings removed, rear ones repaired (badly corroded) and sprayed at enor-mous expense! Stainless steel exhaust ordered. Next job to reline brakes, and then find a sprayer who won't charge the earth, then put it back together. Work has been delayed this summer due to sickness-mine and wifes, but things are improving now, so hope to get more done this winter. V50 has been granted in original number thanks to FSOC, now for insurance
Just like to say thanks to a very clever man and good friend, Roger at Sudbury, who is probably an member, for all his advice and support, both face to face and by E mail. Now if someone will tell me how, I'll post some photos. This job makes me think of that old parody my father used to chant to HIS Prefect in THE EARLY 50'S. ThE FORD IS MY CAR, IT MAKETH ME LAY DOWN IN DAMP PLACES, IT ANOINTETH MY HEAD WITH OIL ETC ETC.Happy days
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi safechief,

Good to hear that things are progressing. From memory I don't remember what type of temp gauge and sender the Prefect would have had.

There are some tips about posting of photos in this thread:
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454

In short, you upload photos to a photo service, such as photobucket or flickr, then post links to the photos on here.

rgds, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
safechief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
Temperature gauge has capillary tube and bulb probably di-ethyl ether I expect. Don't know whether gauge is jammed or tube is holed. Have heard they can be repaired
If you are clever. Maybe I'll try when more urgent issues are solved.All the best
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the temperature gauge take a look at this thread...

http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1156277j27

Peter
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
thanks for that, looks very interesting, similar to method shown on MGA Tech website. First thing is to get gauge and tube out in one piece I think. Then find source of Di-ethyl ether. Have to speak to some of my nursey friends. However must get exhaust on first so I can move the car to get the old gal sprayed
Thanks Jeff Hurst
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: