classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E93A Engine Oil pressure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Kelsham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka, you grind the foot of the valve, I used an oilstone if I remember correctly, dont try to grind the cam.

Kels.
AlexMG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained a 'valve removing tool' on e-bay and will replace the push rods with adjustable tappets. Whilst removing one of the spring retainers i dropped it into the sump so that is off now. Cleaned the oil pump filter though. I also have a number for a guy with a valve grinder so may well also cut and set the valve seats. Long job but at least I do not need the car on the road any time soon.
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: valvemaster Reply with quote

exbmc wrote:
I still use a valvemaster a couple of times a month, truing up valves for light aircraft engines. Churchill Johnson, do you know of a source for drive belts? The old beggar i use has strips of inner tube to turn the wheels! I have had a trawl on the net, but had no luck yet.
No but if you can measure with a tape around the pulley's then go to a good lawnmower dealer use a toothed drive belt turned inside out there are several different size's for electric cylinder mower's.
exbmc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: valvemaster Reply with quote

Churchill Johnson wrote:
exbmc wrote:
I still use a valvemaster a couple of times a month, truing up valves for light aircraft engines. Churchill Johnson, do you know of a source for drive belts? The old beggar i use has strips of inner tube to turn the wheels! I have had a trawl on the net, but had no luck yet.
No but if you can measure with a tape around the pulley's then go to a good lawnmower dealer use a toothed drive belt turned inside out there are several different size's for electric cylinder mower's.

Thanks for that suggestion CJ, i will give it a go.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
I well remember MOT.ing a J type Mg with an E93A engine way back in the early sixties (I think). I also rember the flat floor was covered in some kind of Lino and the Tapley Meter disappeared from sight as it slid like a projectile out of site into the footwell on the brake test.
All that is "by the way". But - I wonder????
Rick has just requested that users post at least an area location. Is that car anywhere near the Midlands?
Jim.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing an article featured on the cover of an issue of, I think, Car Mechanics, from the 1950s, which dealt with fitting a Pop engine into an MG of this (or similar) model, so maybe it was a fairly common mod? If I find it I'll post the details.

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this

MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Rick, I think it was fairly common.
My 2nd car was a '34 J2 with a Ford Aquaplane engine, original backwards g'box & Morris 8 axles & wheels.
I've been searching for the one photo I have of it for years!

PS - I'd love to see the article when you find it.
& note the foil-wrapped SU pump in Roger's photo.................
Kelsham

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a J2 in the early sixties. I was royally ripped off. It had a hydraulic brake conversion with the piping attached with baling wire. More baling wire held on a foreign steering column and steering box. Somehow it had a new MOT.

It taught me a lot about being taken in by appearances, after I bought it I always thoroughly inspected cars I was purchasing.

I got a new steering box from Richardsons, Moor lane, now under a reservoir in staines.

After the brakes failed allowing the pedal to hit the floor outside Heathrow airport, requiring me to take to the pavement and drive between the trees on the hard shoulder, all the while putting on an appearance of nonchalance for the curious bystanders, I had, had enough.

I broke it up and sold the parts via Exchange and Mart.

I easily sold the engine as they had a tendency to break the two bearing crankshafts. Hence the later PA with a three bearing crank.

The original engine was very advanced for its time. Driving the camshaft via the dynamo which was upended was a mistake with the oil seal technology at the time. The dynamo was always full of oil as it drained down from the bevel gears in the head.

It has taken up till now for me to feel even a tinge of regret for breaking the car up.

The Ford engines were usually fitted when the crank broke on the original MG engine.

I always used to allow my engine to warm up before I extended it and it was the only part that did not give trouble.

Regards Kels.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
The original engine was very advanced for its time. Driving the camshaft via the dynamo which was upended was a mistake with the oil seal technology at the time. The dynamo was always full of oil as it drained down from the bevel gears in the head.

Was this the Wolseley design that also appeared in early Minors?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Kelsham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes same engine with different rockers for the OHC camshaft. That was another mod someone had done to my car.

They had fitted the early Morris heavy weight rocker arms. The originals would have been a work of art and much lighter.

On another occasion I was negotiating a sharp corner in full view of an admiring line of waiting passengers at the bus stop, some wearing mini skirts.
As I deftly twirled the steering whee,l there was a crash from the front. The headlamp rim and reflector had come adrift. The MG punished them for their insolence by crushing them beneath her rear wheel.

A look behind, and there was much hilarity amongst the would be passengers particularly the younger element.

I didn't stop for the pieces. That car got me using language I had heard used by my elders, but never had use for before it's purchase.

Regards Kels.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Valves Reply with quote

Good idea to cut the seats and grind in the valves (sorry, returning to original thread!) as this will help with compression etc. Remember to grind in the valves, I always grind in by hand as it is not a long job, adjustable tappets from Small Fords will solve the clearance issues. I also go the extra mile and set up with dial test indicator gauge and timing wheel, everything helps for power and smoothness.
When replacing the cam, it would be a good time to advance it to 100e timing as this gives a bit more top end power and an extra 1 or 2 bhp.Worth checking which cam is in it as later engines use 100e timing anyway, best sign is whether the cam has two dowels or one, scratching my head I seem to remember the one dowel version is the later cam, anyway the later cam has a one piece shell shrunken onto the journals, not a casting then grind as the early cams.
Keep going,

Better three than four.
AlexMG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Just come back to this forum with update. Submitted the engine for complete rebuild. All the piston rings were smashed. One of the pots was cracked. I could not get a seal on the head gasket as the studs were stretching. Will get the engine back in a few weeks when I pare with several ££££££££££. I hope it will be worth it, I like the picture submitted by Rodger. This is/was what my engine looked like. No tinfoil around my fuel pipes though.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO 'D' in my name, just Roger
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't say "I told you so" Sorry to hear about that but you must be pleased now you know it will be fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: