classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hi from a newbie - Jaguar E-Type S3 Roadster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dblebill wrote:

the car is full of raised bubbles the size of a fish eye underneath the paintwork.

Hi & welcome inhere Smile

nice car Cool

Your problem with the bubbles in the paint, is related to some one using some kind of wrong cover, that didnt allow the paint to breathe Rolling Eyes
that way condensation appears, hence the fish eye bubbles.
This is a common problem, have seen it many times before.
Fortunally are you dealing with it the correct way = bare metal respray.

keep the pictures coming .

Jens Christian
Dblebill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well things are really moving along now, a week after posting the last pics here are a few more to show. More epoxy primer has been sprayed on the car, as you can see this one comes out in a orange colour and then it's sanded down by hand to achieve the whitish grey you see on the shell. I understand a further coat of primer will be applied before any paint goes on.
As for my tiny participation in the restoration I spent the last two days cleaning up the couple of wire wheels I took home last week and I'm really pleased with how they've come up. Brought two more home today but think I'll give my aching fingers a rest before I start all that rubbing again. I forgot to take pics of the wheels before and after my handiwork but will get round to it before I start on the two currently in my garage.

Dblebill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here's a few before and after pics of the wheels.

It's incredible the things you can find under 40 years of grime

Smile
Dblebill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I returned the wheels today and my friendly restorer took me to the paint shop saying he wanted to discuss something with me. As we entered, the paint man was polishing the bonnet and for the first time I saw the wonderful paint job.
The pics taken with my I phone aren't brilliant, but hopefully you can get the idea that things are now beginning to take shape.
The polishing will be completed by this afternoon, then the next step will be to replace all the parts back on the car before it's taken off to the upholsterer's where the seats and hood will be fitted.
With a bit of luck I'll have Jagger in my garage before the end of the month.

Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepless nights ahead til it's ready eh!!?? Smile looking great

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Dblebill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How right you are Rick, can hardly wait - returning in a couple of days and may have a few more pics to post then Smile
Dblebill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here's a few more pics I took today.

Last edited by Dblebill on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dblebill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting close now..... Went to see Jagger today and my friendly restorer was busy putting the final bits and pieces back on him before I get to drive him to South Wales on Monday for the hood, seats and a few other bits to be fitted at the upholsterers. The paintwork is fantastic, unfortunately these pictures don't do it justice but when I get the car out in the open I'll post some more to show him off in all his glory. Getting proper excited now Laughing

The eagled eyed amongst you will notice I replaced the door mirrors with ones which would have been fitted in the 70's

Sorry guys but I couldn't resist taking this one

Last edited by Dblebill on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dblebill wrote:
As promised, here's a few before and after pics of the wheels.

Fantastic! Most E-type owners would have bought new wheels without bothering to look at the original wheels.
What did you do to them that they came out so good? Even the rusty spoke came out like new - if it is the same wheel pictured.

I have a couple of old chrome wire wheels for my 420 Saloon which need attention. Already have replaced a couple of spokes but would like to find a magical cleaning solution to bring up the chrome. Can you advise?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking mighty fine that is Bill Smile

RJ
Dblebill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi badhuis, thank you for your kind comments. I could have bought new wheels, but I’ve tried to keep as much originality as possible and I’m happy because these are indeed pics of the same wheel. I was amazed to see how they came up, I guess it shows just how good things used to be made.
Unfortunately I didn’t find a magical cleaning solution other than spending a weekend locked in the garage using a wire wheel brush and good old fashioned fine wire wool for most of the work. I used a electric toothbrush to get to the intricate small places, followed by wrapping a micro fibre cloth around each spoke and rubbing it back and forth through each spoke.
Some have suggested spraying WD40 to prolong the look but my restorer said it leaves a sticky film which will only let the dirt and dust stick to the wheel, so I took his advise and left it off. I’m quietly telling myself if I do this intense work every six months I should only have to wash them regularly to keep them looking good - wish me luck on that one!
This is my first go at getting involved with a restoration and I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable I’ve found the experience. Of course it’s only very minor jobs I’ve taken on but I can say with hand on heart, I’ve felt happy to take on the jobs and in the cold times we’ve had lately, with my hands aching from all that rubbing I’ve somehow managed to keep going without a bad word, so although there is no quick or magic solution, I hope you can take encouragement from seeing the results you can achieve and feel inspired to have a go at sorting out your wheels. And if it gets tough, just keep telling yourself how nice your 420 is going to look with shiny chrome wire wheels. I wish you lots of good luck and hope you post pics of them on here when the feelings return to your fingers after all that rubbing Smile
Dblebill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Looking mighty fine that is Bill Smile

RJ

Thanks Rick, just when I was almost getting used to those sleepless nights, I go and have another one last night Smile
Dblebill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for posting so many pics this week, but things have moved on really quickly and today I took Jagger to the upholsterers in South Wales. The seats and hood were packed off a few weeks ago, a friend has loaned me a driver's seat (thank you John) so I can drive the car. So here's just a couple of pics to show what he looks like out in the open. Today was only the fourth time I've driven the car and oh what an enjoyable drive it was!!!!

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks lovely.......just in time for the good weather too.
You must be very pleased with the end result, I'm sure you're going to have plenty of 'Smiles per mile' in the E-Type ! Wink
All the best,
Greg
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trip around Europe next? it'd be great to undertake a grand tour such as that.

RJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: