classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words Kevin.
Just an update on registration of the car.
Unfortunately the person at a car clubwho would have verified the car's age and number has passed away so obviously, out of respect I will be avoiding pursuing that line of enquiry for a while.

My application for an age-related number has failed because the MOT man entered one digit incorrectly on the chassis number. I am now going in circles trying to find out how this can be put right with no-one accepting responsibility.

I would be happy with any random combination of letters and numbers....just let me on the road please DVLA, VOSA, DVSA or whatever you are called today Sad
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several, long, pay-per-minute calls, some unhelpful "advice" from both the DVLA and the variously called, VOSA/DVSA I was instructed to request the MOT station to change my document. They can't do that, as the final, very helpful person at DVSA pointed out.
Now I will need to take the car to the local VOSA test centre and have them look over it to check the chassis plate. It's not clear if it is legal to drive it there but I have no other way to get there. I am hoping that somehow I can get this check to double up as fulfilling the DVLA requirements to identify the vehicle as being eligible to keep its original number. I doubt it though; these agencies seem to be holding on to the sort of opaque bureacracy that I thought had died out long ago.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
I doubt it though; these agencies seem to be holding on to the sort of opaque bureacracy that I thought had died out long ago.

If anything, this seems to be a new golden age for opaque bureaucracy - there are so many different and overlapping agencies, and so many functions contracted out to numerous companies, that they'll never run out of other people to blame Rolling Eyes
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about just getting it MOTed again at the same garage?

Peter
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a jolly good idea about a new MOT. The only trouble is that those same bureaucrats might get very suspicious about the vehicle anf what I was up to. I'll think about that one.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
DVSA is the result of a merger between VOSA and the DSA,
although DSA were the people responsible for Driver Testing anmd regulation of Instructors yet the board of DVSA dooesn't have a single member from the DSA side of the agency

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise me Mr. Penman Smile
I anticipate already that DVLA won't want to use DVSA's inspection as a shortcut to id'ing the car. They don't seem very "joined up" and are unaware of how difficult it is for us punters to work out what they are all about. The rejection letter from DVLA and annotations made to my form are really hard to decipher.
They're not very helpful apart from giving me a prepaid envelope. :/
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
That's a jolly good idea about a new MOT. The only trouble is that those same bureaucrats might get very suspicious about the vehicle anf what I was up to. I'll think about that one.

But if one doesn't try, how does one know.

Perhaps, and this is a perhaps, because many decisions are made via the result of data entry into a computer, rather than human reasoning, a new MOT and a re-register process will just mean that boxes are check marked.

With respect.......... could you just be overthinking this ?

Regards

Peter
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the issue here has been cause by the MOT station incorrectly inputting the chassis number..
I would revisit them and present the car for a fresh mot (at their cost). If i am correct, the dvla or whoever they are would recognize it as a new mot and application for an age related number as it has a different chassis number from the one previously submitted?

Perhaps a covering letter from the MOT station explaining their incompetence would be worth having for good measure?

Kev
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all right, and I am over-thinking the situation.
The problem is that this seems to be an area where a lot of illegal activity is thought to go on and the agencies have got very suspicious of peoples' intentions; I don't want to wind them up. I have decided that a new MOT, paid for or not, is really the way to go, but I liked the MOT man and he was very "classic friendly". Maybe I'm too soft, but I don't want to make things "wriggly" for him. After all, I want to go back there again and I am sure other people could benefit from his empathy with old cars.

I await the response from the local DVSA station. It's round the corner from the MOT place so if I have to go there and it's free it will make hardly any difference to me. There might be some advantage in that a licencing agency official will have actually seen the car for real. It might give me some leverage with DVLA.

Obviously will keep you posted; might be done by Christmas:(
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

I am sure if you explain the situation again to the MOT tester, he would at least do you a discount to right this wrong....

Good Luck

Steve
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All ended well with the MOT discrepancy. Great folk at DVSA in Inverness said bring the car down just now. So I got another legal drive out of it and checking took 5 minutes with a new MOT issued. Smile
Just putting all the paperwork back together for DVLA.
BRA_9253 by peterthompson, on Flickr
The car is still running great but showed me that you have to use it regularly; the battery was flat as a result of cold weather, dynamo and using for sneaky short rides at night.
Still waiting for the new rear bearings to arrive, apparently from Belgium; now over a week''s wait.
I also got a pile of secondhand parts on the way from Ebay Someone was selling allsorts. I think got most of the bargains so will have a spare starter, carb. etc.
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, for the battery, get yourself one of these:

http://shop.theaa.com/store/routeplanner-charger-promo
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting one of those.....perfect. Now all I need is a permanent electrical supply to the garage.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, sounds like a lot of hassle. Does that mean Murphio can stay Murphio now?????

I have my 500 on a trickle charger all year round and my Mini as well. They really extend the battery life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 47 of 58

Jump to: