classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New Year has brought some welcome communication from the Fiat 500 Club. The necessary forms which should guarantee the re-allocation of the original number have been passed on to me and I have posted off to DVLA.

The people at the club couldn't have been more helpful and I will soon be one of their members. I always had some memory of the car being closely linked to the club and I may be fortunate to get more information about it's history. Already I have had it independently confirmed that it was locked away in a leaky garage for a very long time.

The car has been confirmed as being manufactured in 1968 although it is on a '60/'70 reg. It has been observed that the age-related plate I was given should, perhaps. have been a "G"

The car is getting used at least once a week and maybe I will get a photo in the snow in the next few days. Very Happy
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Cool
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Murphio is going to be reincarnated and Salvatore will retire from his short time in the limelight?

I assume he was manufactured in 68 but not first registered until 69/70?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the car was made in the last few months of 1968 but not registered until the end of November 1969. I think that was just a ploy so that they were pre-rusted from standing in the rain for a year. Laughing
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
I think the car was made in the last few months of 1968 but not registered until the end of November 1969. I think that was just a ploy so that they were pre-rusted from standing in the rain for a year. Laughing

What part of the predelivery inspection, "we can't sell this one it's not rusty enough"!!!!!
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

What part of the predelivery inspection, "we can't sell this one it's not rusty enough"!!!!!

Laughing
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a mundane update as we went to Sainsburys and the builder's merchants today (no building materials carried!)
It's very cold and the snow is now just a dusting but the car started well and soon warmed up.
It's about time for a clean and polish though.
BRA_0378[1] by peterthompson, on Flickr
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image!

Kev
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
kevin2306 wrote:
Great image!

Kev

But next time, slide across and get out of the passenger door then walk round so that no footprints show.

That could be a real area 51, mystery pic. Laughing

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
vitesse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture Peter. Nice to see Murphitore out and about.

Have you waxed or polished him yet. If so what did you use. Luigi is a polish virgin, the polish as in shine not nationality. I believe wax is the way to go on a new paint job.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
You would think the little car was an alien craft given the looks on peoples' faces as we pass.
The car has had one waxing with old-fashioned, liquid turtle-wax. Easy to use, very frugal and a good shine.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been exchanging emails with a very nice lady at DVLA. It looks promising for the original number to be returned very soon.

We've been out and about quite regularly and any local journeys are done in the Fiat. My job involves a lot of driving and I used the car for the first time on a 40 mile round trip last week. At this rate I will have to upgrade my insurance as I am planning a big, two day journey for work next week and if the weather isn't icy I'm taking Murphitore.

The distance to Kilchoan which almost at the most Westerly point of the Scottish mainland is 140 miles. With the running about I will do over there my mileage would clock-up to around 350 there and back. I am already approaching 500 miles since the MOT without really going anywhere.

I need to gradually stretch the horizon if I am to gain full confidence in the car. I'm off to Preston in April for my Mum's 80th and that will be a 700 mile return journey. Shocked
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when you are off to Preston, I have a project starting up there so can find some time to meet you and murph if that's ok?

Kev
vitesse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stretch you horizons!!!!!! I think you are stretching them quite away already! Very Happy

That trip across the Highlands will give you lots of photo opportunities so don't forget your camera. Your job is something to do with photography isn't it?

Do you take a fully stocked up toolkit when you go out in Murphitore? Also any spares like cables.

The problem I have with confidence in Luigi is I haven't driven him on a regular basis for about 18 years and I have forgotten how reliable he used to be. The daily commute I used to use him for into London for two years was probably more stressful on the car than doing longer runs on A or B roads.

He only ever let me down a few times but I think you need to get into a practise of doing regular checks on timing, points, carb tuning, tappers and oil level etc. Because being an engine that vibrates quite a lot it does have a tendency to untune itself a bit. That said it always got me home.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely be letting you know of my trip to Preston Kev.

As for spares, so far I have been travelling light as I haven't even fitted the tyre to my spare wheel yet. Rolling Eyes
My toolkit etc. will be a small trolley jack, a 1/2" ratchet and a 17mm socket, a Philips and flat bladed screwdriver, pair of pliers, an 8, 10, 13, 17 and 19mm spanner and a pair of mole grips.

Apart from actually taking the spare wheel I will also have an ignition coil, a distributor top half with points set and a new cap fitted, a set of spare HT leads, a pair of spark plugs, a short length of petrol pipe and a jubilee clip, a length of electrical cable, some twisty wire, gaffer-tape, cable-ties, a few nyloc nuts, a spare throttle cable and some bulbs.

I won't be taking a condenser but I will have my AA card.

I just don't expect a car to break down and I find that on the odd occasion where I have been caught out in the past, the brain gets going and I think my way out of it.

Looking at next week's forecast today it's the weather that's more likely to stop me. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 50 of 58

Jump to: