classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Farmer John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Fiat 500 Reply with quote

Hello Peter. The way you describe having to tighten the axle nuts more than you wanted can indicate that the bearings are loose on the axle or in the hub. If that is the case the new bearings will wear the same as the old ones. New stubs or hubs might be needed, but try a bearing locking liquid, such as loctite. If you like. The down side is that dismantling once loctited might be difficult, probably need some good pullers rather than just your greasy mitts!
It would be advisable to make sure it is OK, once the bearings are loose they will turn on the axle.

John
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you mean John. But the problem was with the old bearings and these new, OEM ones adjusted up fine. The real reason I went OTT with the old ones was that even when properly adjusted there can be an allowable, but tiny amount of play. Try explaining that to the MOT man Very Happy
With kingpins also likely to be giving a perceptible clearance knock this might all have been too much.
I will keep an eye on them though; after all, I'm into pre-emptive maintenance here. I need a go-anywhere car.
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember from doing mine years ago what you describe when tightening the new ones up is exactly as you describe. You tighten them up until they start to feel some resistance, that feels the brakes a binding a bit and then back them off slightly until they spin freely and peen the nut into the slot on the stub axles.

I can't imagine you will have any problems with those SKF bearings for years they are probably better quality than it left the factory with.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is well. Me and the car went out on a 95 mile journey today for work and it was running really smoothly with the steering more precise than ever. The new tank full to the top with petrol for just over £20. I made another of my banal little movies with the view from the back seat. It might just convey how nice it is to be in a 500 and encourage folk who are still in the throes of restoration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duXGK41qtIM&feature=youtu.be
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car looks really happy and very drivable!
Do you use a go-pro type camera for the excellent videos?

Kev
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed the video and the quick action sunroof is brilliant Cool
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be able to open and close the sunroof at speed but chicken out of that now. It's funny, the simplest things are usually the best and the 500 sunroof has one quick-release clip. Somehow there is no wind-noise and it seems to let the engine noise out of the cabin and makes the car feel really bright and spacious.

The camera I use is the digital SLR which I bought a few years ago for my job but it's not strictly a full pro camera. It's a Nikon D7000 and it can actually take full, broadcast-quality HD video when at the right settings.
I think that it's actually the very wide-angle lense that makes a good job of it.

When I get the time in the Spring I am hoping to put together a nicely edited travelogue of a visit to the West Coast which will have a varied range of angles...not just the easy option from the back seat.
vitesse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video and the car is sounding great and starting really well.

How do you stop the camera from falling off the parcel shelf?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:

How do you stop the camera from falling off the parcel shelf?

..I don't know; I must just be such a great driver.Wink

Actually, I think it's the camera being quite heavy.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC_1907 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Isn't Ebay brilliant? Just after my troubles the other week, these bushes turned up very cheap. The box even says "Silentbloc" on it. It looks like a Mr. Dinsdale ordered them ages ago and never collected. I don't need them just now but it's great to see how these are definitely the real deal.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you enjoy the Fiat Smile

Shame about the dent, have you tried paintless ?

Jens Christian
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC T ONE wrote:
Nice to see you enjoy the Fiat Smile

Shame about the dent, have you tried paintless ?

Jens Christian

Thanks for the thought Jens, and it has already been suggested. But I have already got used to it and to one or two other flaws which have shown themselves.

I might do a bit of fine touching-up and sort the dent out once the weather gets warmer.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you take it to one of these dent repairers, they do an excellent job for a minimal outlay. Had some on the daily which have been attended to by one, a mobile one who comes to your home and does the job and even I have difficulty in tracing the dents, only a couple can be traced and he had told me from the beginning that they would only be ok for about 90%.
I even had one on my green mini which he put right and there isn't even the slightest hint of a dent anymore.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015-03-16 16.40.44 by peterthompson, on Flickr
2015-03-16 16.24.05 by peterthompson, on Flickr

I don't even notice the dent now..it's passed into the car's history and will be removed next respray.
Today's achievements were fun..the longest continuous run of the engine...three and a half hours, the longest single journey. ...144 miles. Most miles in a day. 202 and furthest from home.
I set off in the dark and this was first light on top of the Skye Bridge.
2015-03-16 07.21.08 by peterthompson, on Flickr
I am across the sea to Skye and then across to North Uist. This is a classic driver's dream with long, straight, undulating roads, few walls and no trees to obscure things, fantastic scenery and there is NO traffic.

I am staying in this lovely cottage for the night and then another two ferries tomorrow for Harris, Lewis and then the mainland.
And the car? Brilliant , not missed a beat. Smile
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great road trip, any pics inside the cottage, it looks superb!

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 55 of 58

Jump to: