classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1969 Fiat 500F Restoration Resolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 56, 57, 58  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue and brown go together well, don't they? Very Happy
DSC_2762 by peterthompson, on Flickr

The other day there was lady who was older than me who said she used to have one of these cars, but "the more boxy one"...obviously a 126. She was puzzled "what is this, has it been restored or did you just look after it well?"
    Just my sort of comment as she can obviously see that it looks more like the latter Smile
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still did really well though maintained quite a good speed. From what I can see you were in 2nd most of the time so probably pushing about 25mph.

The camera did seem to have an auto correct thing going on. It kept correcting itself back which was pretty neat, it obviously knew it's job.

I guess the age of Murphio is at the time when the L was just introduced so hence the later badge.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That was a fairly steep hill but not the worst although the most winding. The place is called Bridge of Brown? That isn't a clever camera mechanism it just has a mind of its own and was being thrown about on the corners by gravity as I had to keep my foot down so as not to lose speed.

Spooky how it did centralise in the end though. Rolling Eyes
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very happy car!

Kev
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
That's a very happy car!

Kev

You're right Kev, that's how it feels. It's even happier now that I have topped up the oil. It really needed a drink after yesterday's exertions.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSC_2313 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Just another pic from The Hebrides...oh yes, and I bought another pile of s(crap) Confused
$_12 by peterthompson, on Flickr
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh new thread?

Kev
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Ooooh new thread?

Kev

I fear that if I did, it might get a bit deja-vu Kev.

As is perfectly normal practise for maniacs, i have bought the car unseen, on the strength of very poor photographs and after reading a very clear and honest-sounding, very negative description! Rolling Eyes

I wrote things after completing this car which definitely show that I was very glad it was all over so I am not sure I will be able to face the dark hours needed to restore the body. However, I do now have the benefit of experience and I know that any money spent can be easily recouped if necessary, since the sale prices of these cars is rising all the time.

I will definitely be wanting to restore the engine and gearbox and as last time, I plan to strip the car down very methodically, boxing and packaging everything in an organised and indexed way. The difference is that I plan to renovate everything before it is packed away.

So I hope to have a bare bodyshell by the beginning of next winter and at that point I will be able to see if a full restoration is possible.

Whilst I think that this forum and the responses I have had from it are fantastic and have been very encouraging and helpful to me, I am considering creating a separate blog so that I can refer to my photos and achievements more easily when looking back.

Watch this space....
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
kevin2306 wrote:
Ooooh new thread?

Kev

I fear that if I did, it might get a bit deja-vu Kev.

As is perfectly normal practise for maniacs, i have bought the car unseen, on the strength of very poor photographs and after reading a very clear and honest-sounding, very negative description! Rolling Eyes

I wrote things after completing this car which definitely show that I was very glad it was all over so I am not sure I will be able to face the dark hours needed to restore the body. However, I do now have the benefit of experience and I know that any money spent can be easily recouped if necessary, since the sale prices of these cars is rising all the time.

I will definitely be wanting to restore the engine and gearbox and as last time, I plan to strip the car down very methodically, boxing and packaging everything in an organised and indexed way. The difference is that I plan to renovate everything before it is packed away.

So I hope to have a bare bodyshell by the beginning of next winter and at that point I will be able to see if a full restoration is possible.

Whilst I think that this forum and the responses I have had from it are fantastic and have been very encouraging and helpful to me, I am considering creating a separate blog so that I can refer to my photos and achievements more easily when looking back.

Watch this space....

its gotta be a good thing to bring another one back to life? great investment either way..and you have to have a hobby right?

Kev
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. got rather too much on my plate Kev to fit in hobbies TBH.

Still haven't announced to Sheila Rolling Eyes It arrives next Monday or Tuesday.

Have you seen the dent my rear end is making on the seats? Also I'm starting to notice a few tiny stone-chips that need touching in. Not surprising now we're heading for 2000 miles driving.

DSC_3331 by peterthompson, on Flickr
DSC_3332 by peterthompson, on Flickr

My car got a spring clean for Easter and then we went for a drive.
Fish and chips by the harbour then a little spin round the town.
One young man started talking and wondered if I was "a rich businessman"...I'm not; maybe then, "the new presenter for Top Gear?". Not sure if I feel flattered, but one thing for sure, the Fiat makes me feel a million dollars.

Went for a bottle of wine on the way back and another young man said he loved the car and he remembered the car as I had overtaken him, wheezing up the hill on his bike the other day.

People love a Fiat 500.SmileSmileSmile
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Peter. But comparing you to JC?
I don't think Mr Clarkson has done enough restoration repairs in his lifetime to deserve your lovely little Murphio.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Looks great Peter. But comparing you to JC?
I don't think Mr Clarkson has done enough restoration repairs in his lifetime to deserve your lovely little Murphio.

Maybe he meant we're both middle-aged men with very poor dress sense? Very Happy
He has been seen in ridiculously small blue car though...remember?
eee by peterthompson, on Flickr

By the way, I saw another one yesterday, on the way to a rally in Gairloch.
IMG_20150404_130416869 by peterthompson, on Flickr
Interesting colour scheme.
Cool
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Hmm. got rather too much on my plate Kev to fit in hobbies TBH.

Still haven't announced to Sheila Rolling Eyes It arrives next Monday or Tuesday.

Have you seen the dent my rear end is making on the seats? Also I'm starting to notice a few tiny stone-chips that need touching in. Not surprising now we're heading for 2000 miles driving.

DSC_3331 by peterthompson, on Flickr
DSC_3332 by peterthompson, on Flickr

My car got a spring clean for Easter and then we went for a drive.
Fish and chips by the harbour then a little spin round the town.
One young man started talking and wondered if I was "a rich businessman"...I'm not; maybe then, "the new presenter for Top Gear?". Not sure if I feel flattered, but one thing for sure, the Fiat makes me feel a million dollars.

Went for a bottle of wine on the way back and another young man said he loved the car and he remembered the car as I had overtaken him, wheezing up the hill on his bike the other day.

People love a Fiat 500.SmileSmileSmile

About time I brought mine out of hibernation probably going to be in the next few weeks but I have some important work to do first and then will crack on with trying that 650 lump out.

Are you sure those stone chips aren't chicken pecks?
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:

Are you sure those stone chips aren't chicken pecks?

Good point Smile

The chips are all at the front , where you might expect them although I did have an issue with one of them trying to get on the bonnet when I forgot to let them into the coop one evening.....I had to polish out a couple of scratches.

You really must release that car Tony. I don't know about you, but it was roasting here today and I got sunburnt. That has got to be Fiat 500 weather.

Sheila even remarked that the colour was designed for sunny weather (meaning she usuallly doeasn't like it). Also, great news, she says she wants one for herself....funny thing is, I must have read her mind. Very Happy
$_17 by peterthompson, on Flickr
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Scotland had pretty good weather on the news today, down south it has been a little overcast but brightened up towards the end of the day. Apparently Thursday and Friday are going to be really nice.

Has Sheila driven Murphio yet?

When do you collect the other 500? Is it far away distance wise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 57 of 58

Jump to: