classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pressing a halfshaft into a hub, advice needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Pressing a halfshaft into a hub, advice needed Reply with quote

Hi

I'm pressing a new halfshaft into a new hub, there is about 4" where the splines mate. As you would expect the father it goes in the greater pressure required, however I'm now 75% in and at 6.5 tons and its not budging Shocked , the press will go up to 10 tons, but before I crank it up I wondered if this seemed normal?

Cheers

Dave
Kenham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, what is the diameter of the shaft I have found in the past when things start gettint tight it can become a problem. It can get to a point where it wont go either way without doing a bit of damage. I have pressed shafts out of rusted bushes etc and have got up to 50-60 tons on 2"" size which gets a bit worrying and found it does not take a lot to stop an interference fit. I would think you could go a bit more but half shafts are a bit different, perhaps you could take it back out and see if it is picking up on the splines. Ken
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm almost there Very Happy

Ken they are about 1.5" ..... them move with the odd "rifle crack"

Had to crank the pressure up to 15 ton (5 ton more than the press is rated Shocked)

And applied a liberal amount of lighted acetylene & oxygen, now have about 1/8" to go.......

May be easier to chop 1/8" off the other end!

Dave Shocked
Kenham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might fit as it is, thats what I would probably do (chop off). I see there is a little red line left though,looks like about 1/8 to me. I think if you were going too much you would see the shaft bending, that would be the sign to stop!! What vehicle is it off? Looks like youwill be refitting it today anyway. Ken
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hay you have warmed the outer?

Could you take that any more, it might have been an idea to warm that and fit the shaft direct from your chest freezer, I know several collars in Massey back axles are like this, frozen and hot etc.

Be nice to see it go home, but as said will the shaft bend, maybe not to the eye, and also at that pressure does it want to pop out of the press, I always feel sheepish using presses in such circumstances, especially when the item is long like that.

Only other idea, which is not as easy as I say it, can you give it a bit of shock too whilst under pressure, might just be enough. Or even Shock with no pressure, without messing the shaft up, it is amazing what forces you get with a Hammer, compared to a press through shock loading.

Let us know how you get on!

I know of a bigger press if you need one! Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far are they meant to go home is the other question? Do all the splines get covered up?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
Might fit as it is, thats what I would probably do (chop off). I see there is a little red line left though,looks like about 1/8 to me. I think if you were going too much you would see the shaft bending, that would be the sign to stop!! What vehicle is it off? Looks like youwill be refitting it today anyway. Ken

Hi Ken its off my MGA, I have converted to wire wheels, hence the new hub and halfshaft.

buzzy bee wrote:
How far are they meant to go home is the other question? Do all the splines get covered up?

Hi Dave, yep just about, If I fit it at the moment it sits about 1/8" away from the other half of the hub assembly (gone as far is it can into the diff) hence if I chopped a bit of the diff end it would fit) It wont fit in our upright freezer unfortunately Confused

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to it in the morning, it struck me that the last 1/8" was due to the hub hitting the bearing, so when I tightened everything up the hub seated the bearing to its correct position Very Happy and all looked good Very Happy.

I should add that the wheel bearing was fitted by me in 1992, so I have have a bit of an excuse !!!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: