classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Trafficators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Reg Shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Trafficators Reply with quote

Hi, the trafficators on my Austin Eight are reluctant to come right up without a helping hand, which could be seen as dangerous out on the highway! Once lifted, they retract smoothly without problem which leads me to think they aint getting enough juice and / or need a service. My question is, if they are removed from the car, can they be tested using 6v or do they run on less voltage and can I do any damage to them running them in this way? Are there any do's and don'ts to servicing them?

The electrical system in the car is the one thing that hasn't had much attention over the years so any input or 'idiots guides' to auto electrics would be much appreciated. The car has been in storage for ten years with the battery removed (it seemed like a good idea to remove the battery?) A new battery has been fitted, a bad soldered, loose connection inside the regulator sorted but I think the whole system needs a looking at.

Many thanks in advance, Ian.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

Trafficators draw quite a large current until they are in the horizontal position, when there is just a small holding current required. Poor or slow lift; 99 time out of 100 its poor earth or live connection, at either the trafficator or switch.

You wont do any harm testing them off the car with the correct voltage (a battery charger is fine to test them with).

Never force them up without current as there is an electo-mechanical lock that prevents them flying out when you go round bends, this can get damaged.

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reg,

As Dave says, it's often high resistance in the switch or wiring that causes the problem.

If you want to raise them manually then you need to press down on the top of the arm pivot to release the lock that Dave is referring to.
(Easiest when removed from the car.)

Peter
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First i would as has been suggested remove them from the car blow off with an airline any dust, then use an artist brush and a small amount of petrol to clean the linkage blow off again then use a light oil 3 in one was good and a cotton wool bud lightly oil the linkage check for correct movement on a battery AWAY FROM THE PETROL and i would look at the wiring on the car if it's original cotton coated which will fray and the rubber insulation perish renew the loom this is not as bad as it seem's original type of wire is available mark every wire as to where it goes and the colour take lot's of photo's and make your new loom up de-rust and treat all earth's.NOTE keep petrol or any cleaning liquid away from the coil or you may damage the insulation.
Reg Shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tips chaps, much appreciated. I'll take the blighters off and it'll give me something to do at lunchtime at work!!

Ian.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave seems to know his trafficators so resurrected the thread to ask for more detail about that electromechanical hook that locks them. A friend of mine with a learning disability was kind enough to lift one out to show me how they work Rolling Eyes
I don't think anything is damaged but it doesn't lock so readily as before.
The plunger looks like it is slightly off vertical. Do they wear?
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, just managed to get the left side trafficator on my Morris eight sorted (yea it was half length Wink meaning snapped) the problem is now they both go up and down I want the lights to work.
The one I replaced had the light working in it before I put it in my car but now the light wont work Sad I'm going to pull it out and retest it after dinner but just wondering if anyone would know what the problem could be?? ukdave maybe??
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt

There is an electrical contact that is made only when the trafficator is horizontal, quite a simple job, if you have the trafficator rising ok the hard work is done Smile

Cheers

Dave
MattF

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

took it out this morning and found the wire that goes down to the light was broken!! must have been going and i somehow managed to brake the last few threads of wire as i was installing it Sad all fixed now!! Very Happy
My light comes on as soon as the switch is turned and before it reaches full hight, is that bad??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: