classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1995 Fiat Cinquecento
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: 1995 Fiat Cinquecento Reply with quote

ok so not strictly a classic but Rick said I was ok to start a new thread on things I'm doing to it over the rest of the year.

so its a 1995 Fiat cinquecento, its yellow at the moment (respray planned in the summer) and the reason for this thread is that I'm doing some restoration work on it over the year.

over the last three weeks, I've bought, had shotblasted and painted a fresh rear axle and today for a kick off to the thread, its been fitted.

so here we go with the pics......

8am this morning, got car on axle stands (under the body) and got the rear wheels off....

to find..... one rusty old axle

after dropping the fuel tank out, brake cables and pipes disconnected we had it out...

the chassis rails which the axle bolts to weren't too bad or should I say, not as bad as I was expecting, just a couple of bits of rust to sand and treat....

so after treating the rust, I undersealed the entire rear end of the car...

then, brought the new axle out of the shed....comparison pics...

new axle put in place (note, I had to alter my chipboard axle supports, made to support the axle as not to scratch it!)

and bolted into position...

and by 5pm tonight , the fuel tank had been refitted, brake cables reattached, brake pipes bled and the car was back on its wheels....

so that was todays mamoth task....phew, just sat here with a brew now Laughing

more jobs to do at a later date, and the thread will be updated when they're done.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. You put in some shift there. Colwyn 500 will be impressed. Nice wee car. Cool Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll be a good example to refer to of restoring a car, one sub-component at a time, rather than diving in and taking the entire thing to pieces!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marina estate wrote:
Well done. You put in some shift there. Colwyn 500 will be impressed. Nice wee car. Cool Cool

I must say "Very impressed!"

The Cinq..definitely a classic. With "Scrappage" and souped up boy-racer mods destroying some, they must be getting pretty rare now.

Typical of Fiats though, that such a big component needs replacing due to rust!

Keep us posted.
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments

Rick wrote:
That'll be a good example to refer to of restoring a car, one sub-component at a time, rather than diving in and taking the entire thing to pieces!

RJ

I'm having to do it like that as I use the car for work, as I work weekends (3 x 12 hour shifts) all the work on the car has to be done through the week.....but its not too bad...at least the local autofactors is open through the week Laughing

when I get round to the respray, I may have to use some holidays and have some time off as I won't get it resprayed in 4 days Laughing

if your wondering why I'm going to respray it, the laquers all come off the bonnet, roof and is flaking on the tailgate. Wink

the next jobs I've got planned are;

shotblasting and painting of front suspension components.

engine and gearbox clean up (there's an oil leak somewhere and theres so much grime about I can't trace it) I may remove them from the car and steam clean them.

some rust to sort out in the engine bay

then come the summer........a full respray but not decided on a colour yet and may decide to keep it yellow. Confused

jason
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S GOT TO STAY YELLOW!

I had an oil leak, it was a rusty sump. You can buy them but I did mine with fibreglass.

There was something that used to weep oil near the top somewhere around the coils. My old brain can't quite remember what it was.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

RJ

Now why didn't someone give me that advice !

Keep it yellow its right for the car and era

Dave
Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after doing about 75 miles over the weekend (to work and back) everything is great with the new back axle.

this weeks plans are to refurb the alloy wheels, which I started yesterday, I'll get some pics up later.

I've ordered my paint for the respray too......Fiat broom yellow Cool
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other half got one of these when they first came out and I loved it, it was almost as good as a Mini Cooper - huge fun.

Only down side was the specially made Pirellis fitted as original equipment wore out in an instant. I think we were getting something like 6 / 7 thousand miles per set!

You're doing a great job - and I think you should keep it the bright yellow, it's easier to find in a car park. Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, well done with the paint choice. (you had no option really!)

I had problems initially with front tyre wear. I think the tracking is easily messed up and found it paid dividends to have the tracking set-up by a really good local garage.
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cinquecento was a super little car!

I thought it's successor - the Seicento - wasn't half as good looking.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
victor 101

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never cease to amaze me Jason, the speed you work and what you accomplish in all weather, and in the open. Well done.
pogo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Fiat Reply with quote

Lovely little modern classic.

Ive had a couple of the Lancia Y10's, and like the look of them. Always planned to have one of the fiats, preferably the sporting one.Looks like a great car to bomb around the deserted French countryside.

Have you thought about painting one door red? http://www.yorkvision.co.uk/lifestyle/start-the-car/

Paul
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
How much commonality is there between the Y10 and the Cinq...?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Cluley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: 1995 Fiat Cinquecento Reply with quote

Current cars 1923 Cluley 10/20 1924 Trojan Utility 1931 Morris Cowley Commercial Travellers Saloon 1989 Citroen 2CV 1993 Fiat Uno Start

I had a 1997 Cinquecento S as a company car that I used for travel to site as a London building surveyor. It was a super little car and I loved it. Bodywork was galvanised so there was no rust and it had a chain cam engine.

Eventually it failed the MoT on non-working brake lights, failed exhaust and it also had worn CV joints. Stupid managers scrapped it but car was good for many years further use.

I left their employ and bought a Uno (1993) which is another brilliant car but less reliable and far more rust prone so now very rarely seen. Hoping to keep it going but spares now a problem due to scarcity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: