classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1972 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 Series 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
XL391

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, a brief update. The dashboard in these Series 1's are a lovely looking thing. However, early XJ's looked even better as the dials had chrome rings as opposed to black rings. They didn't hang about for long, they were removed around the 1970 model year as they were said to cause glare/reflections. There was an early car being broken on the XJ group on Facebook so I put together a shopping list...

As soon as they turned up I got to work. Because the dials were from a 2.8 they weren't a straight swap as the speedo only goes to 120 but the red line is higher. I wanted to keep the mileage the same as well so this meant removing the dial faces from the body.

The faces are held on by metal tabs. By turning the faces to cutouts on the dial body you can remove them. I put lots of WD40 around the dial to help get things moving but also to preserve the thin rubber gasket between the glass and the body.

The middle dials are not separate units except for the clock. I dismantled both sets and used my dials and electrics with the chrome faces. The clock also has to be changed as the unit is different from the later one as fitted to mine. This clock isn't working but I will send this away for repair. I think you'll agree the chrome is an improvement...

I also changed the panel that the radio sits in. The radio is now integrated into this panel, I'm made up with the result.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on things, yes the chrome-ring dials do look the part - more 60s, whereas the black rings are more 70s IMO. I remember buying a set of inlaid VDP wood trim for the dark blue S1 I had years ago, never did fit it Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I love them Rick, really given the interior a lift. Was that the wood that was fitted to the doors?

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL391 wrote:
Yeah I love them Rick, really given the interior a lift. Was that the wood that was fitted to the doors?

The dash panels were inlaid around the edges, and yes the door trims - instead of having simple wooden strips along the top edge of the inner trim - had inlaid sections of wood, with inlays in them also.

Like this one:

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
XL391

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was after a back seat as the leather on the seats in this were brittle and cracked. After asking on the Facebook page if anyone had a rear seat one of the guys came back to me to say he had a set of retrimmed seats out of a Series 1 project that the guy had given up on and broken. £150 for retrimmed seats that had never been sat on was way too good to miss! So, I nabbed them, give them a clean and a good feed and fitted them.

Will

1965 Sunbeam Tiger Mk1
1968 Triumph 1300

Last edited by XL391 on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi XL391

If you could edit your post by putting a line break (enter key) between the end of one link and the start of the next; then we wouold could see all the pictures with the inconvenience of horisontal scrolling.

example [img] link [/img] "line break" [img] link [/img]

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: