classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Quality of brake flexihoses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Quality of brake flexihoses. Reply with quote

The other week I ordered some brake parts for the Herald from a usually reliable supplier, including rear flexihoses. Now I've fitted a fair few of these over the years, and before fitting I always hold them up to the light and peer through them to make sure there's no bits of rubbish blocking them. One was fine, but the other showed no more than a faint glimmer of light and won't pass more than a very little air when I try blowing through it, though more gets through one way than the other so with fluid it's going to have a one way effect! Obviously there's some blockage, probably a manufacturing fault, I've tried compressed air which hasn't shifted it. It's pretty obvious to me that if I fitted this hose I would have either no brake on that corner, or a brake that seized on.

I phoned the supplier about this, they've never come across this problem before, but the guy I spoke to has never, apparently, taken the trouble to check that a brake hose isn't blocked before he fits it! He reckons that just because a company is manufacturing brake parts their quality control must be A1 and there can't possibly be anything wrong with it, and when I attempted to describe the problem, and the simple tests I had carried out, more explicitly he fell back on saying that "hydraulic pressure is different to air pressure", and said that if I fitted it and bled the system it would be fine! Anyhoo, he eventually agreed to send a replacement gratis, and check it before despatch, which has turned up - and is no better than the first. At this point all I can think to do is to send them back, along with the old one (which I was only replacing as a precaution, as it's been on a few years now) to try and show by comparison with a good one what's amiss here, but all thoughts welcome here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: