classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1966 Fiat 500F Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Tony, is there a rubber cover on the mirror bracket? I think I see one on yours and vaguely remember it.
Also, can you remember which way round the bracket that the sunroof handle clamps into goes. I remember you got it wrong first time and I may have done too.
I'm finding your explanations very useful at the moment. Smile

Sorry I missed this post. I don't know if there was originally but I bought a black plastic one from Van der Laan, I thought it would be rubber but as per your pet hate for repo parts, it wasn't. The main reason I put one on was because the sprayers didn't give the arm a decent covering of paint plus you can tuck the wires in it.

The bracket has two screws that screw into two captive nuts in the body work. If you are looking from outside the car into the sunroof aperture the sloped part of the bracket that the latch clips onto, slopes down at approximately 8 o'clock pointing down towards the back seats.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that Tony. I had a 126 BIS at one time and sometimes I misremember things and the mirror thingy may be one of those. If it was on that car then it was plastic. I think I'll gIve it a miss. I nearly had the same problem missing paint on the bracket as it gets covered when you mask the windows.

By the way, I think we need and update on how Luigi is doing.
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on Luigi's first summer for 17 years. I believe today is the first day of autumn but warm weather is predicted until November so he may venture out again this year. He has completed a trip to the South Coast and back approximately 120 miles in one day with no incidents or problems. Only lots of admiring looks, toots of horns and thumbs up along the way and he attracted a big crowd around him when we got back to where he was parked on a lovely sunny day.

It did help an awful lot in getting used to double de:clutching. I don't know what all the initial fuss was about originally considering he was my daily drive for about 3 years, mind you that was about 18 years ago but it's a bit like riding a bike, you never forget. I have refound the art of A road roundabouts though, it simply a case of not slowing down and just zipping around them at about 40 MPH, saves all the gear changes, it really is a little go kart of a car.

When I was moving him a few weeks ago, I discovered a horrible clanking/clunking noise coming from the engine and it really didn't sound good but the engine appeared to be running really sweetly?? On investigating yesterday it appeared to be coming from the fan housing. So today I took the fan belt off and turning the fan by hand I could feel the clunking on the shaft that suggested the nut had come lose on the shaft inside the housing. As Peter will know you have to have arms like a monkey to get to some of the bits behind the engine, especially the particular nut I was trying to get to. But I did eventually managed to get my hand in there and low and behold the nut was loose. I managed to get a socket and extension bar in there and put a nylock nut on it to prevent a repeat performance, as it could be quite a mess if the fan managed to free itself. All tightened up and it is running really nicely again.

He has been evicted from the main garage back to his winter home. As it is a bit of a tight squeeze in there I invested in a set of wheel dollies for him. Allows me to move him around a lot easier and prevent the risk of any damage to his nice shiny paintwork. They have a warning sign on not to exceed 450kg per wheel, I think I maybe safe as the total weight of the car is only 500kg.

My statuary picture, wouldn't be a proper post without a piccy.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the little guy has really proved himself. Well done for sorting that awkwardly placed nut. Handy to have his own accommodation and I hope you get plenty more use out of him before darkest winter.
I have just been checking out the best route to Corfu for next summer's plans Very Happy
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that's ambitous but I suspect you are being 100% serious.
Just remember lots of spare cables and as someone said I can't remember who but a brilliant idea choc block connector for repairing wires but can also join cables together. A coastal run is ambitous enough for me.

Funnily enough I was just reading on Wikipedia about a couple who have done several 30000km trips in their 500.
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fabulous Tony, although it wasn't until you said about your trip to the south coast that I realized I wasn't reading Peters thread this time, easily confused you see Embarassed

Perhaps next time you visit the south coast let me know and perhaps I could bring along my slightly less spectacular Honda for a photo shoot Wink

A real old school AIR COOLED gathering without a beetle in sight

Steve
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do Steve. It will probably be next year now though, so don't go selling it. Wink
Franko500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows Tony, next year even I could join in!
Luigi sure looks good sitting their in his old shed. You were lucky that fan didn't come off, could have really mucked up all your hard work.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread I thought was dead apart from the odd update but as Peter knows from another forum I have just sourced a 650cc engine and gearbox from a Fiat 126. Again air cooled increase in BHP from 18 on the standard 499cc to 24 on the 650. The torque rises from 20 lb.ft to 32, so I maybe laying down rubber at the lights now. Shocked

Also the gearbox has synchro on 2, 3 & 4 and it has an alternator instead of the Dynamo. So needs a bit of modding on the wiring.

I collect it tomorrow, so will give it a good once over before I handover my cash. The plan is to get it running on the infamous pallet bench test, so expect another hair raising video. Then give it a good inspection and see if it needs a rebuild.

The other good news is I managed to find the original chassis plate that I thought I had lost. I haven't seen it for well over a year and found it in the front pocket of a hoodie that was given to me as a present. I obviously decided that being seen out in a hoodie at my age was probably not a good idea and it was drafted in as the correct attire for car restoration on a cold day.

So expect to be bored with some further updates on the new engine in the next few weeks.

Crying or Very sad
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the reports coming..we love pictures and videos of smokey engines being brought back to life Very Happy

Kev
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
Keep the reports coming..we love pictures and videos of smokey engines being brought back to life Very Happy

Kev
especially boxer engined BMW's Wink
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is what I bought. A complete engine and gearbox, a spare block that will allow me to transfer everything across to use with a distributor rather that using the newer electronic ignition that is built into the flywheel but I would need to source a new camshaft for the distributor.

On inspection all looks good it turns over by hand with good compression, the spark plugs are not threaded and all bolts into the ally head seem nice and tight.

It really is a clean lump of metal and I would guess by the condition of all the tinware that it hasn't done a lot of mileage. The guy I bought it from said he was surprised that the scrapyard were scrapping the car, he said it hadn't done a lot of miles but couldn't remember the figure.

All the bits for the electronic ignition appear to be there, I just need to workout how it all connects up

colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very nice purchase Tony. I would love to piece through that lot and work it all out.
it has a more normal looking silencer and is that a sensor of some kind that looks to be secured to the cowling near the fan.
vitesse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
That's a very nice purchase Tony. I would love to piece through that lot and work it all out.
it has a more normal looking silencer and is that a sensor of some kind that looks to be secured to the cowling near the fan.

No that is the band that holds the air vent pipe on, it's just been left dangling there.

The electronic ignition is made by Magnetti Morelli and called Nanoplex and there is a sensor bolted to the engine casing next to the flywheel that can move around to adjust the timing. On the flywheel or oil slinger are some magnets mounted so it is a Hall effect hence no dizzy needed. You think that ignition alone all the bits for that were listed at $480.00 on Mr Fiat.

All that black on the gearbox housing is the normal build up of grease you expect, underneath it looks like new. If the weather is good tomorrow or this weekend I will degrease it and take some pictures.

Now here's the good news I paid £250 for the lot. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that price it would have been stupid not to buy it. Good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 27 of 34

Jump to: