classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1966 Fiat 500F Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am awaiting on parts now to rebuild the engine, so in the meantime decided to degrease the block and head, they were literally caked in a greasy gunge as you can see in the previous pictures.

Under all the worse gunge it kept the aluminium in good condition, the shiny bits are where the worse of it was. There are few bits that need a final clean.

Peter did you use any gasket sealant on the base gaskets as there really isn't a lot to them? Mind you thinking about it, when I took the 8 bolts off that hold the head and cylinders on, I did get the impression they weren't very tight which would explain a lot.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I used any gasket sealant there or anywhere else on the engine.
Those rings are really only to cushion the metal to metal contact so I don't think it needs anything.

It does look odd with that un-machined stub for a distributor.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my bits to rebuild the engine have turned up from Germany it cost me £273 but I have all the bits now and it cost me €10 P&P and arrived within 3 days. I priced the same parts up on the website of a UK parts supplier and it would have cost me £573 !!!!!!!

I noticed the timing chain on the 650 engine was a bit floppy and wasn't sure if it was meant to be like this? I then spent hours searching for the puller to remove the small cog and started to remove the old timing chain and cogs. I was amazed that the small cog pulled off with just my fingers, so that search wasted a few hours for nothing. Anyway the new one was fitted and what a difference. A nice tight chain, it must have been overlooked for quite a while.

Also on the cylinder head there was a sheared bolt that had quite a lot of it sticking out, so I cut a slot in it to try and remove it with a big screwdriver but it wasn't shifting. So in the end I had to cut what was remaining and drill it out. I bought a great little Helicoil kit that included everything need to do a DIY job and loads of spares for any future problems, as most of the bolts are M8 on the head.

47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vittesse & Colwyn

I've found a couple of AGIP self adhesive stickers 6"x3". Do you each want one?

PM me if so.

Art
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the ideal pastime for such a cold winters day Tony. Great work Cool
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Just the ideal pastime for such a cold winters day Tony. Great work Cool

Yeah Steve but another advantage of the 500 is the engine is so small it has made itself into the utility room in the house. I don't know how it got there???? Very Happy Very Happy Rolling Eyes

It's great I can sit on a chair with the engine on the table and tinker away to my hearts content in the warmth.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine just about rebuilt. It's had new big end shells, crank seals, timing chain and gears, tube seals and gaskets, new sump, decoke, rings and pistons checked and its has good compression. Looks a little cleaner than it was originally. The oil slinger was rotten inside and the gasket was so squashed that it was flat and at first I couldn't workout that it was the gasket, I thought it some sort of rubber lining on the pulley.

Next is the gearbox and driveshafts, the gearbox is thick with oily grime, which only seems to come off with scrapping. I must be all the oil that has escaped from the engine over the years.

The problem with working on it inside the utility room is you forget it gets heavier as you bolt things back on!! I should just about be able to carry it to the garage.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your engine has not had quite such an easy life as it first seemed. I am sure it's going to reward you with that lovely , regular sound that I have found these things are capable of.
Did you say new sump? Was it rusty or dented?
Chance of another startup video?
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
It sounds like your engine has not had quite such an easy life as it first seemed. I am sure it's going to reward you with that lovely , regular sound that I have found these things are capable of.
Did you say new sump? Was it rusty or dented?
Chance of another startup video?

Yeah I agree I think it has been pretty poorly maintained, rather than being in mechanically bad condition. The main mechanicals are in good. I reckon bad basics has led to oil leaks etc over the years that weren't properly addressed at the time and just allowed to get worse. Some of the gaskets on the bottom of the carb look they were cutout from cereal boxes. I guess if you are a Pole that has brought a cheap 126 to knock about in, all you want is to get from A to B, you probably aren't going to be to bothered about looking for a long term fix because at the end of the day you probably bought it for peanuts. But fortunately all the problems like oil leaks are fixable with a bit of TLC. One advantage for 500 owners of Poland joining the EU is an influx of 126 engines.

The sump was pretty battered where I imagine when it was removed from the car it had just been dumped on its bottom many times and all the cooling channels were compressed in. Being aircooled I figured it was probably best to get a new one rather than attempt to open up the channels as I would probably ended up breaking off the welds it was so bad.

Yeah there will definately be another startup video.

I got to say they are a joy to work on these little engines, they are just so simple. I really love it. I couldn't find a better way to tinker the day away.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
I couldn't find a better way to tinker the day away.

.....apart from pootling about driving it? Laughing Laughing Laughing

It looks like you're applying your usual rigorous standards there Tony. It's going to be a belter 'm sure.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am onto the gearbox now. I had to fit new driveshafts as the ones for a 126 are too long for a 500. A fiddly little job but gave everything a clean up and greased the bearings.

Then I went onto finishing off cleaning the grime off the gearbox casing. I was a bit cold outside and my hands were likes blocks of ice by the end of it but it looks much better now. I just have to change the seal on the bell housing for the main shaft. Then it can all go back together.

colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that looking so clean and untarnished. Those must be 25mm shafts because they look very chunky; you'll need it with all that power.
I see it has a reverse light switch; are you going to fit a light as well?

Great progress.
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Nice to see that looking so clean and untarnished. Those must be 25mm shafts because they look very chunky; you'll need it with all that power.
I see it has a reverse light switch; are you going to fit a light as well?

Great progress.

Yeah I am going to fit the reversing lights when I fit my rear fog lamps, spot lights on the front and the turbo. Tbh I could but I think those little additional lights people fit look a little naff. You have got me thinking though. I wonder if I could come up with some sort of stealth reversing light????????
Franko500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Tony,
just read all your adventures with your new engine & gearbox.
I am just about to start on mine too. I have removed the gearbox and must have spent about 4 hours cleaning 40 years of dirt off it.
Good job you started yours first as it gives me something to go on.
Looks like you got a great bargain.javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Sean it was definately a bargain, which is why I snapped it up. It had a few hidden problems but nothing that wasn't fixable at a reasonable cost.

I reckon I can mount the additional igninition components (ignition control unit and dry twin coil) out of the way where the existing coil lives. On mine the coil lives on the left hand side of the engine and it is in easy reach of the plugs and the wiring loom. I have bought a Fiat 850 ignition switch that will fit in the hole on the dash where the existing switch is but it has the additional function of being able to turn the starter motor over so it will be just a case of running an additional wire from the switch to the starter solenoid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: