classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A Trip to the Red Center of Oz. Pt. 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: A Trip to the Red Center of Oz. Pt. 1 Reply with quote

My wife and I planned a trip in our 1982 Rover SD1, but unfortunately some problems arose, so we decided to use Beatrix, our 1959 Rover 90.

Although Beatrix is well worn and uses a bit of oil, I was sure she was up to the task. Our first day's journey was from home, through Melbourne and on to Mildura, a distance of about 700 K's or 430 miles.

Next day we set off for Renmark with the aim of reaching Port Augusta in South Australia, a mere 331 mile run.

We passed a lot of caravans on that journey, but then came up to this-

Which we thought was taking caravanning to a whole new level. We got to Port Augusta and then set off in a generally Northern direction.

Yes, we are heading to Alice Springs in the heart of the continent.

Some might find the scenery sparse and uninteresting, but Noreen and I thoroughly enjoyed the wide landscape.

One thing we had to look out for were the road trains. A prime mover with 3 trailers, the total length of which could be 55 meters, (over 175 feet).

There are no actual towns along this road, merely small settlements but fortunately petrol can be obtained from each one. The distance between them varies from between 100 k's to as much as 270 k's.

Here is the place known as Glendambo, the second fuelling place on the road. Population about 30.

Because the road passes through various properties, instead of gates, cattle grids are used where fencelines would cross the road. Some of these are at property boundaries. These blocks of land are known as 'Stations' and run either sheep or cattle.

An example would be Mt. Eba Station. It is 40 kilometers from the homestead to the roadside mail box for Mt. Eba. The property is approximately 1,544 square miles, that is 40,000 square kilometers, or to put it another way, 400,000 hectares or a bit over 988,000 acres. For all that, stocking rates are low, and have to be kept low to preserve the feed that is available. There are usually 14,000 sheep and 250 head of cattle on the property, so, counting the cattle as about the equivalent to 4 sheep each, that works out at one sheep for every 75 acres.

Finally we reached the outskirts of the opal mining town of Coober Pedy, the place from which the majority of the worlds opals are mined.

We stayed there for the night. Next morning we were delayed because we needed a repair to the exhaust pipe on the car, so we left Coober Pedy at about 11.00 in the morning, with over 700 k's to go to Alice Springs.

RFD is the Royal Flying Doctor Service.

We reached the South Australia/ Northern territory border. Prior to it though the car gradually slowed down until it could barely manage 50 mph. I puzzled over the problem, but did not want to stop on the roadside and not get started again.

Only about 20 k's in the Territory is the settlement of Kulgera, another fuel stop. I decided that I needed to replace the modern plastic fuel filter to0 solve the running problem, but the store did not have a suitable one on hand. I compromised by back-flushing the one from the car and re-fitting it. Meanwhile Noreen telephoned through to our booked accommodation in Alice, to be told that we would have to be there at 7.30 as that is when they closed. It was now about 4.45 and we had 270 k's to go.

We set off driving at a speed that poor Beatrix had not done for many a year. Mostly a bit over 70 mph and until the sun got very low 75mph. At sunset is when so many animals start moving about and I did not want to hit a full-grown kangaroo at speed, so great concentration was needed for that run.

Suffice to say that with a few interesting happening on the way, we managed to get to the caravan park in Alice at 7.36, only to be told that they didn't close until 8.00 p.m. We were just pleased that we had a bed for the night.

Here is Beatrix the next morning at our cabin.

The odometer informed us that we had travelled 1,615 miles from our home.

We enjoyed a pleasant couple of days in Alice, and when opportunity arises, I'll continue this saga and show you why it is referred to as 'The Red Centre'

Part 2 can now be found here-

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=103534#103534

Last edited by roverdriver on Sat May 04, 2019 5:54 am; edited 6 times in total
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fascinating and one of the greatest of old Brit cars IMO. I'm looking forward to more pictures and explanations.
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing this enjoyable journey and look forward to pt2 its so nice seeing an older car being used for what it was built for DRIVING instead of a short run to a local show then home again lets us have more please
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really interesting write-up and shows a very confident, even a courageous attitude to old car motoring.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent read & photos there Dane, I look forward to future instalment(s) Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dane,

I echo the others' comments and just this weekend we have had visitors from Melbourne so your photos were a great adjunct to their descriptions of Australian life.

Many thanks,

Peter
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable. Thank you.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific write-up Dane, reminds me that it's time I went bush again! The Rover certainly looks in her element. I agree with rjt/10's comments about the car being used for what it was designed and built for; driving!

The photos also show that while we don't have many roads through the bush, the main ones are mostly very well kept and have good surfaces.

Keith
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most enjoyable. Looking forward to future episodes
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 2, looking around Alice Springs is here-

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=103534#103534
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: