classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1938 Morris 8 air silencer - need information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rosco663

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mark, seems like you have done a very thorough job in restoring your air silencer.

Did you encounter any problems dismantling yours? And how did you go about it?

I will need to do the same with mine as you can see from the photos above mine is very corroded as well. Do you have any photos of your air silencer rebuild as these would be handy for reference.

Cheers
Mark_S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosco663 wrote:
Well done Mark, seems like you have done a very thorough job in restoring your air silencer.

Did you encounter any problems dismantling yours? And how did you go about it?

I will need to do the same with mine as you can see from the photos above mine is very corroded as well. Do you have any photos of your air silencer rebuild as these would be handy for reference.

Cheers

Hello Rosco,

sorry I just spotted your reply after all this time? Are you still interested in the information?

Apparently I did not take any pictures.
Anyhow it is rather simple.

1. remove the few welding spots from the cover at the air inlet side.
2. now you can with the help of a tube and a hammer push out the inner tube + cover.
3. Clean it
4. Paint it
5. Lamb wool mats from louderspeaker shop
6. When you rebuild the the silencer just deform the outer shell at the cover side. This will prevent the lamb wool from burning and it allows you to change the lamb wool without a big deal.

You will be surprised about the condition of the wool after all this time. Best is to wear a mask when you finally take it apart.

Sorry for the delay and good luck.

Mark
Rosco663

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Mark,

Thanks for the reply but I have passed that hurdle already. It's a shame you didn't take some pictures but I'm sure the result will speak for itself with a quite running engine.

How is other progress on your restoration?

Cheers
Mark_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosco663 wrote:
Gidday Mark,

Thanks for the reply but I have passed that hurdle already. It's a shame you didn't take some pictures but I'm sure the result will speak for itself with a quite running engine.

How is other progress on your restoration?

Cheers

Hello Rosco,

right now there isn't a lot to do. The body is in very good shape and I don't want to touch some on the presumably original paint.

4 speed gear is working well.

electricity is sound (This was the most significant. I used large dia cable tuned to get max 0.5V voltage drop per consumer. The result is a very good lighting and even driving at nights is no issue. I also installed relais for all consumers to take away any stress from the central switch)

All break cylinders are overhauled. I still have a set of new flex tubes in my cupboard for next year. Bit cold right now over here.

How far did you go?

Are you waiting for some spares to be found under the christmas tree?

Merry Christmas.

Mark
ka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading this thread with interest. Is there so much induction noise that a silencer is needed?

Better three than four.
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka
It's about the same as a mini without an air filter.
Merry Christmas
Alan.

Morris 8 two seater
Mark_S

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
I have been reading this thread with interest. Is there so much induction noise that a silencer is needed?

It is an innovation of the 1938 model!!!!!

Impact is recognizeable. I just wanted to have it there rather than the end of the open duct.

I did not loose or win performance. Wink

Mark
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark_S wrote:

Sorry to contradict, but the air silencer was introduced on Series I Eights at chassis no. 105720, and also fitted to nos. 105266 to 105500, which would have been around mid-1936.

Richard
Mark_S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
Mark_S wrote:

Sorry to contradict, but the air silencer was introduced on Series I Eights at chassis no. 105720, and also fitted to nos. 105266 to 105500, which would have been around mid-1936.

Richard

Appologies. I thought I read it, but I trust you are right.

Mark
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common misconception that the air silencer was introduced with the Series II, when in fact nearly 60,000 Series I Eights were thus equipped, ie. roughly the same number as total S II production.

The air silencer required some changes to be made. There is an indent in the wing to accommodate the elbow fitting on the carburettor mouth, the fuel pump was moved up from a bracket below the toolbox to the front of the toolbox, and the horn was moved from the cylinder head to the front cross-member behind the apron. The standard SU carb needle was also changed, from BA to BD.

Richard
Ralphg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Air Silencer Morris 8 Reply with quote

Hi Rossco, see your drawing for the main air filter but do you have a drawing of the piece fitted to the carb itself. I have the cast unit as fitted to the "Z" van but would like details of the one fitted to Series "E" part no. X15644. I have the oil bath filter. Rolling Eyes
Rosco663

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,

Sorry I can't be much help as mine is a Series I. The pictures on the first page of this thread as posted by Ian shows an E Series. I have an old manual and following is your schematic.

Schematic shows you are looking for part description AA93 - Carburettor Pipe - Part Number X15644

Cheers
Ralphg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Air Cleaner Reply with quote

Hi Rossco, thanks for your response, i do have the parts manual and even though my car is a Series 1, it has been fitted with a Morris Motors reconditioned Series E motor which is slightly wider and longer that the original, hence the need to find the part X15644. I did try Ian Harris in the UK but he says that they are no longer available. Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to modify the fender to allow the fitting of the Carburetor Pipe as fitted to the Z van which I have. Again many thanks for coming back to me. My car is now up and running and ready for the next show. Ralph Laughing Laughing
Ralphg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Morris 8 aircleaner Reply with quote

Hi Rossco, sorry I quoted the wrong part should be X15644
Rosco663

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Ralph,

Referring to the schematic below you are after part described as A74 - Carburettor Pipe

This will be a more faithful addition and will negate modifying your bonnet and wing to get a good fitment. As you would know there is very little space available around these tiny engines. You never know Ian Harris may have one and occasionally they do pop up on eBay. These are made from formed sheet metal and having threaded holes to which the carby is mounted.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: