classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to the house where my vogue has lived since 1965 and has been standing unused since 1989 and drove and shunted her around until she was finally in a position where i can drive her out of the drive and onto the transporter i have booked for saturday morning. was quite a difficult task given that since it was put in the garage the late owner built garden walls and fences! also not having hydraulics to the brakes (handbrake only), auto box and knackered tyres added to the challenge.
so, saturday at 9am she will be collected and brought to my place..cant wait

on another note, was emailed this picture today

this is Mr Baden Caldecott, the first owner of my vogue.

nice to put a face to a name.

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big day today

arrived at the previous owners home at 9am
drove the singer from her resting place to the paddock

my friend and his assistant arrived with the trailer

and after many months of wondering and pondering shes finally home at mine

happy days

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, after going shopping with wifey i decided to have a bit of tinker time with cilla the singer.
gave her a thorough wash (several times) and must say im amazed at the overall condition of her. no rust at all, just flat paint and a few issues with the paint on the bonnet and front wing tops which i will sort. chrome is in great condition as well which is a total bonus.
decided, seeing as dinner isnt till 7pm to have a look at what was involved in dropping the engine oil.
at this point, i realized what a complete lack of imperial tools i have, inc hex sump plug sockets (are these available in sets like the metric ones are?)
so, one thing led to another and the oil got dropped and the cartridge spin on filter removed, replaced with a fresh one followed by a gallon(ish) is nice fresh oil (good old fashioned mineral oil that my mate gets me by the 25ltr from his garage). i may swap to some fancier oil once shes had a few flushes. she sounded nice before i dd this but the engine is so sweet now!
a few items were left in the glove box, ths is one of them:

kev
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice car with a very nice history!
Are you gonna spray it all, I'd be tempted to leave as much of the originality as possible!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
nice car with a very nice history!
Are you gonna spray it all, I'd be tempted to leave as much of the originality as possible!

thanks bob
hoping to get away with spraying just the bonnet and wing tops. time will tell eh

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, given that my mazda eunos will be given a fresh mot at the end of this month, then taken to my dads garage to be sorn'd and stored over winter, this will let me make a start on the vogue. unless something unexpected comes up (which i fully expect) all the parts for the recommission are sitting on the shelf waiting.
as i will complete one corner of the car at a time, refinishing the rims and fitting the new tyres as i go i need to make a start at stripping the rims. i have a spare spare with a tyre fitted (does that make sense?) this means i can refinish 2 rims at a time and still keep the car moveable which is handy.
ventured out into the wet weather tonight to take the car spare off so i can get the tyre taken off tomorrow.
the previous owner of the car did (before he passed away) tell me the spare tyre was a crossply and was original to the car from new and had never been driven on!)
so here is an unused Avon Super Safety crossply! was gonna drop it off in the skip on the way home tomorrow but i think it will be put in the garage loft as a keepsake

as im going to be doing a few repainting tasks i thought id invest in an infra red tripod heater. i have a gas space heater to keep me toasty but thought this would be ideal to set up near the bench to warm/cure various projects in the cold winter nights.

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i dont know what paint the 1st owner of this car used but it is really resistant to coming off!!
still, the 1st one has been soaking in the electrolysis box for a couple of days and the back and rim are clean with just the outside being resistant. took it out tonight for a good scrub and wash, applied some paint stripper which removed loads. changed the electrolysis solution for fresh one and its fizzing like a good un. hopefully all clean and dandy by tomorrow night.all ready for the etch primer.
as ive previously said, this way of prep is not for people in a rush but its cheap and does a great job.
i bought some lovely quality 'purdy' paintbrushes over the weekend to apply the enamel paint on the rims once they are cleaned. as advised by others, they need to be broken in so they apply the paint better and dont shed bristles during the task. my day job is as a construction director so i dropped by one of my projects today so see one of my choice painters. he is going to use them for undercoating and glosswork for a week or so Smile

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to grab an hour in the garage after work tonight.
got the rim out of the electrolysis tank (plastic storage box Very Happy). dried it off and gave it a blast with a wire brush in the drill.
came up really good with minimal effort to be honest.
blown over with the airline, panel wiped with thinners and managed to get it in primer (etch).
will start the enamel this weekend

so one down and four to go

kev
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not look that bad, mine where worse than that and I think 4 years must have passed and they are still looking as good as when I painted them!!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
They do not look that bad, mine where worse than that and I think 4 years must have passed and they are still looking as good as when I painted them!!

I think the pictures make them look good bob! The rims are really tatty and have been over painted at least once. They will look great when finished and will set the new tyres off a treat.
The car has lovely chrome hubcaps complete with a wheel trim that covers the area between the tyre and the edge of the hubcap. I have seen a few 60's cars with a chrome hubcap and a chrome rim that fits to the diameter of the outer part of the rim, leaving a gap between hub cap and outer chrome rim if that makes sense. Must get a picture to decide what my vogue would have had when new.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once home from work, suitably refreshed by a fresh coffee i decided to give the first rim a coat of the xylene based enamel undercoat.
painting by hand (brush)..what a complete pig!

the rest wont be done by brush..got hold of a friend who sells spray equipment and ordered a midi sized iwata gun. enamel will be thinned about 10% and sprayed from here in. finish should improve a little.

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much action this week or next due to some house maintenance and remodelling (ensuite re tiling)
managed to take my eunos to my dads so it can slumber in his garage until next spring.
that frees up my garage so the singer is safely tucked up in there.
as soon as the house is done i can then start on the brake system refurb. ive decided to try and get her mot'd before year end so i can assess whats needed through a few winter drives (depending on having a few dry weeks where no salt is used on the roads)
one thing that i have decided is to get the front seats redone. it is apparant when sitting on the seats that they have deteriated 'inside', the covers/upholstery is in great condition so the padding etc must have seen better days.
any1 know of a topclass upholsterer who has done this type of task before and they can recommend?

kev
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with all your work!!
Can't wait to see her all finished and ready to go..
I'm not far from you, so will look forward to possibly seeing you at some local shows, is this something you've maybe thought of?

Charlotte Smile
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoney54 wrote:
Good luck with all your work!!
Can't wait to see her all finished and ready to go..
I'm not far from you, so will look forward to possibly seeing you at some local shows, is this something you've maybe thought of?

Charlotte Smile

Hoping for a busy show season next year charlotte. Where abouts are tou then?

Kev

Last edited by kevin2306 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:

Hoping for a bust show season next year charlotte. Where abouts are tou then?

Kev

Smile Welsh shows sound interesting Wink

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: