classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journer wrote:
A pot of gold there...are there anymore hiding?

anymore filters?
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was a good day.
Up early, had the Singer booked in for the MOT Confused

Had an apprehensive first drive to the garage where she was subjected to a very thorough inspection.........

So after a hibernation of 28 years, 5 months, 23 days she is officially roadworthy

I must state that I really dislike taking vehicles for the MOT but today was a pleasure, from the first drive (she drives fantastic to be fair) to the inspection and brake test during which I was allowed to accompany the tester. No issues whatsoever!!.
I had previously rung the DVLA for advice regarding taxing the car and changing her taxation class to 'historic'. the adviser suggested I could go to a local post office, sign the V5 and insert a change of taxation class on the V5, obtain my tax disc and they would send off the V5 for updating. Only downside to this was the lady at the post office said she couldnt do it and I would have to go to a DVLA office......luckily the manager was within earshot and offered to ring and check with the DVLA....

Great feeling and return journey from the garage was a complete joy!

Kev
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. A great job all round
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic ~ Happy summer motoring ~ Well Done
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from yesterdays MOT success and a nice tootle around the locality, I decided to have an hour or 2 having a good look around and under the car, checking for any issues that may have arisen from the initial shakedown.
I had a good read on a forum regarding BW auto boxes last night, I was specifically looking for the correct procedure when checking the fluid level. Having found some excellent advice, I checked it and found I needed to add a little fluid to get to the correct level.
Jacked the rear up and placed it on axle stands.
Checking the rear brake lines, there was a slight leak from the drivers side, not too bad, but would be enough to account for the slightly spongy brake last night. Nipped the 2 connectors up (single line rear brakes) and went to the passenger side. Nipped the brake line up and then drafted Mrs in and bled the rear. Purged a decent amount of air out, got a great pedal so thats another result.
Checked the rest of the connectors and found them all fine.
Decided, that in line with my original thoughts about doing several oil and filter changes to give the engine a good flush out after the years of standing about, that after yesterdays 80 mile jaunt I would drop the oil and change the filter. The dropped oil was a lot cleaner this time (done 4 oil/filer changes since Ive owned her) so I will use her for a bit now and then do another change in a few weeks but use some decent brand oil (currently using non branded oil from a friend who works in a garage. That will see her until the winter.
No time left for a spin but Im sure that will happen tomorrow. Really pleased with her though.

(had a bit of luck on ebay last week, 10 Fram spin off oil filters for £2! thats £2 total not ea!)

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I origionally got the Singer home, I did a quick check of the spark plugs etc and ordered some new ones. The ones fitted previously were NGK but I got some Champion N9Yc replacements and they worked fine.
Reading the service maual last week I noticed the recommended plugs were by KLG (equivilant of Champion N5c). Ordered a set from a source and fitted them last night. The engine ran like a bag of poop, so, cleaned and regapped the Champion plugs and re-ffitted them, all was well once more.
It makes me wonder if the fact that the car has electronic ignition retro fitted means the N9Yc plugs are more suited? the good news is that when pulled, the plugs were a lovely color so she must be running fine.
Took her for a small run, pushed things a bit harder and was pleased to note the auto box kick down works really well (didnt try that until last night as i wanted to take things easy) and the car feels better every time we go out.
After finding the weep to the rear brake union and the re-bleeding of the brakes, they are now as id expect, the new servo really helps and they feel very modern in their stopping power.
Hoping to get out for a decent run on sunday

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a spare hour this afternoon.
One thing I had noticed on the Singer was the vacuum pipe connection to the distributor was fouling the oil filter, I dont think after all these years that it would matter but I was concerned that at some point it would get too hot and fail.
Had a mooch on ebay and it turns out that the pipe and fittings for a classic mini looked ideal, the distributor end even had a right angled fitting, better still it was under £5 delivered. Ordered and it was delivered today.
Fitted, it looks a look neater, the diameter of the tube is smaller but to be honest the car seems to run smoother with the new one?

Old

New

I need a key for the security lock on the sony radio I have fitted. The lock is simply secured to the radio housing with 4 small screws that are inaccessible when the radio is installed. I unscrewed the lock and planned to drive to the Llangollen Car Museum as they have a good stock of NOS keys.
Whilst taking the radio out i noticed a few sockets to the side. A closer look showed them to be for a tape deck, headphones etc.
It occurred to me that if i had a suitable cable I could see if I could connect an mp3 player?
Found such a cable in my odds n sods box, plugged it into my Iphone, selected some music and plugged it into the various sockets..low and behold it works!! and a great sound to boot.

Drove down to the museum and found a key that fitted the lock, doesnt work but I can now get a suitable blank and cut my own key to fit, had a great chat with the owner who loved the Singer plus had a lovely drive out and about.
I have to say the car gets better everytime I get out in her.

Kev
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the original vacuum line was either blocked or leaking, but keep an eye on that new one. I've found the ebay parts listed for Minis - more widely useful, as you've found - to be somewhat variable in quality. I used one on my Herald, it was quite springy and kept wanting to coil itself up again rather than stay in the fitted position. I thought it would likely settle down with some engine heat, but about a week later stopped to investigate an odd noise and lumpy running to find no trace of it, presumably popped off and been shredded by the fan Laughing Next time I tried a different supplier and haven't had any problem with it.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being drive it day, after some compulsory gardening duty we went for a spin out. Went to 2 garden centers and also called for some petrol.
One factor that amuses me is the amount of people who approach you when the car is parked up just wanting to have a look and a little chat about the car!
The singer is really lovely to get out in but I do feel the carb is gummed up slightly and spoiling the overall running.
I really hate messing with carbs but needs must eh. Just ordered a rebuild kit from a solex spares dealer and will get it stripped and cleaned (making sure loads of digital pics are taken for reference)
Hopefully I will find plenty of crud in the float chamber etc, the carb will benefit from new gaskets as there are several weeps from the various joints which cant be helping the running very much?

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept an eye out for you today Kev, but I guess you didn't make it this far over in the end?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Kept an eye out for you today Kev, but I guess you didn't make it this far over in the end?

RJ

Nope, wife decided I would like to do some gardening Sad

Had a spin out but still taking things easy with the Singer until I fully trust her.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since running the car, I always felt the it was over fueling plus the carb had a few weeps.
Took the carb off yesterday to soak and clean ready to rebuild.
Discovered a split in the emulsion tube that accepts the air correction jet, that would account for the poor mixture etc id say.
After many calls, it transpires that the tubes are made from unobtanium Sad

Spent this morning trying to decide how to do a good repair.
After searching the tinterweb I came across the carb hospital, gave him a ring but didnt have one of the essential ref codes so had to wait till I got home to get it. Rung him up and by luck he had 1 new old stock carb in stock, and he said he would put new seals and diaphragms in it as well!
Great result and will hopefully get the singer running just right and give the reliability I want from it Very Happy

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, having discovered the split emulsion tube in the carb, I rung round and managed to source a replacement, NOS carb.
It turned up today and initial inspections showed it to be very similar to what was fitted.
After-work, I got it on the bench in the garage, next to the original for comparison. The dimensions were the same but the throttle connection and choke were totally different. Got a brew and had a think.
Unbolted the old throttle linkage, cleaned things up and it bolted onto the new carb in replacement for the one supplied.
Had a good look at the rod operated accelerator linkage and decided to strip it out, clean and grease it all up, nice and free now.
refitted the carb, hooked everything up and fired the car up, using manual choke for now. Apart from running rich and being throaty (no filter yet) she is running really well Very Happy
Turns out this is the proper model carb for my car so the previous owner must have had issues with the original and swapped it over at some point, makes sense why the incorrect air filter housing is fitted?
wrapped it up for the night and came in. whilst taking my boots off I was looking at a blown up diagram of the new carb, when I was thinking things through, there was a bracket and spring clip that didnt make sense. Turns out it is the holder for the choke cable, completely different to the arrangement currently used. so, boots back on and back into the garage.
unclipped the clip and slid the cable outer in place. all secured and the inner cable fitted and adjusted....one working choke!!
So, just the slow running mixture to adjust tomorrow and then I need to source a filter housing (will use an after market K&N for now)
Happy days and shiny bits

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up early today, quick breakfast and into the garage.
The singer starts so much better from cold with the new carb, and she soon settled into a nice idle, let her warm up and adjusted the slow running jet and tickover speed until things were nice and smooth.
Only issue left to sort was the air filter, I didnt want to chop and ruin the origional filter, plus the elements are not available..so I am looking for a decent metal filter housing that takes paper elements that are available? Seems the classic mini had a a metal one but I am not sure how the lid of the filter box secures so perhaps some1 could help?
Quick trip to the local car museum in Llangollen and for the princely sum of £6 I came away with a chrome universal filter, not ideal but will do for the week or so it will take me to sort something more permanent.
So I made a paper pattern, transfered it to some steel plate and made an adapter plate, once this was made it was a simple task to transfer the holes to the filter housing. A quick coat of VHT lack and the filter was fitted.
Not ideal as I say, but looks racey! and more importantly gives at lease some filtration for the odd blast

I have to say, the new carb set-up has transformed the running of the car, It has so much more power and torque, even the kick-down works a treat..she is a joy to drive.

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On pulling a spark plug last monday to check the mixture, I discovered her to be way too rich. pulled the jets out of the old carb and swapped them into the new one..running awful.
Swapped the jets back and gave up for the night (mainly to have a think)
Tuesday night, I went back to her and had a look at the filter. The foam insert was quite hard (age?) so I figured perhaps it was restricting air flow..hence the rich running perhaps. Left the filter off and went for a quick blast after cleaning the plugs..pulled a plug and things were much better.
so, that filter went into the bin and a new one was sourced (until I can source a decent hillman housing that takes reaily available paper filters).
Ended up getting an ebay bargain..£20 for a NOS K&N

Got home tonight and drilled the base plate to allow it to mount correctly

Bolted everything up, fitted the filter insert and lid

Looks very bling, sounds great (old school Very Happy) but more importantly, the engine runs sweetly and the mixture seems spot on.

It will suffice for now im sure

Kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: