classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1965 Singer Vogue Mk3 re-commissioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonight i finished the drivers front brake. all reassembled with a new flexi and bled through with new fluid. all working fine and dandy
had a quick tidy up and got her out of the garage to turn round. had a nice little tootle up and down the private road which was made all the more enjoyable by having brakes!
so, back in the garage, whipped the passenger front wheel off, cut the flexi and removed the caliper. disk is in great condition as are the pads and hey ho, a set of stainless steel pistons fitted to this one too.
dunked it into the parts washer to soak until tomorrow night.
took a pic to show a crusty caliper Very Happy

kev
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seeing any crusty caliper! Where is it? Laughing
Journer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the 1972 Vauxhall ruby red paint, it's whats going on mine.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripped, cleaned, rebuilt (new seals) and painted the last front caliper tonight. stripped the backplate off the hub, blasted it and etch primed it followed with some black colour.
so, just need a spare hour on saturday and that will be the 4 brakes rebuilt inc new flexis.
need a few days off for some garden maintenance so it will be a week or so before i remove the girling remote servo and fit the brand new (genuine) lockheed servo.
i will then flush the brake fluid out again and replace with new (been using new fluid to bleed each wheel as i have rebuilt them) just to make sure all is clean and free from contamination etc.
need to buy 2 more axle stands so i can take all 4 wheels off to ship off to the powder coaters before getting my nice new tyres fitted Very Happy

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a few days off from the garage but was up bright and early today.
so, coffee in hand i started a few jobs i had planned.
sorted a light weep on the rear flexi brake pipe union and re-bled the brakes. took both rear wheels off and re-adjusted the handbrake, all well it seems.
had a poke around the engine bay for anything obvious that was causing the poor starting. i think it is a mix of needing a good run, some more fresh petrol and as it appears, a fuel pump rebuild.
the pump (ac type) isnt lifting fuel very efficiently it seems. so ive ordered a service kit for the pump and we will strip it and see. its full of the usual crud that builds up over the many years of standing so i can soak it all in some solvent whilst its stripped down.
moved to the rear of the car and took advantage of it being high up on axle stands to strip off the rear bumper and over-riders to clean with solvo autosol and polish with some harley wax.
slowly dechroming the car so i can clean all the paintwork properly and aid with any repainting needed. all the chrome is bubble wrapped and stored in the garage loft for safety, the side trims are wrapped and stored in a section of 4" drain pipe so they wont get bent!.
friday, i went to pick up the paint supplies (cellulose) from colourwerx in stoke, what a great bunch of blokes, very classic friendly and a great deal to boot, ordered a new devilbiss spray gun with set ups to suit the primer and topcoat. getting there now ..
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had 4 days away for my son's and my birthday so nothing done at all (will change that situation tomorrow and over the weekend Very Happy
came home to a few supplies though, an ac fuel pump rebuild kit (to suit unleaded petrol) and 3 new bleed nipples for the brakes. the original nipples fitted are some sort of speed bleeder and whilst they are free enough im not that happy on using them to bleed the system so powertrax have supplied me with some stainless steel items of the normal design. i have some nice covers for the nipples too...oooeeerr.

the first owners widow dropped off a few pictures of the car as taken in 1985, looks like spring summer and was the last year the car was used as it was taken off the road exactly 28 years today which is also my birthday..how coincidental is that!
first 2 pics are of the singer with his wife and the 3rd with his wife and mum gladys..

up early tomorrow to refurb the fuel pump and make a start on fitting the lockheed remote brake servo.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon be ship-shape and bristol fashion eh!? good stuff, you probably came past here when you went for the paint.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Soon be ship-shape and bristol fashion eh!? good stuff, you probably came past here when you went for the paint.

RJ

not sure where bouts you live rick but i do need to drop in sometime to have a gander at your fantastic truck and meet you.
im really hoping to have the vogue mot'd in january (weather permitting)
that will give me an idea of any further work needed...got a really classic friendly garage with a great proprietor local to me.

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no pics today
stripped the ac fuel pump off today and thats currently soaking before being thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt, hopefully over the weekend.
took the old girling remote servo off and started to get the new (genuine) lockheed remote servo fitted. i want it to look as authentic as possible so im working hard to get the mounting brackets as neat as possible. should get away with using the existing brake pipes as the position and layout of the new servo isnt far different to the old one, bought a pipe bender so i can tweek any angles i need without kinking the pipe.
got a busy day tomorrow so may not get much done until sunday

kev
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful car, and a lovely history with it too!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not done anything at all this week as i felt really fatigued, (been promoted to construction director in work so steep learning curve and loads of training courses take their toll).
Had an easy day yesterday (sat) so i was up early this morning and raring to go.
Been really struggling to get the braking system finished. The new lockheed remote servo was significantly different to the girling unit that was previously fitted so i more or less had to start from square one.
As with a lot of jobs that we do, sometimes a break from them is all thats needed to get things to drop into place and this was just so today.
Finished off making the new brackets, trial mounted everything then blasted them and painted them up. once dry got them remounted and completed.
i was quite worried about the brake pipe fitting but this proved easy enough, ive used the existing pipes for now until i get some new pipe but they served to make sure all works fine..got a great brake Very Happy
bought a new tool which helped doing the pipework

Made bending and shaping the pipework a doddle.

Whilst i was refurbing the cylinders and calipers i was never happy with the function of the bleed nipples fitted, they were some form of speed bleeder i think but just didnt seem to make bleeding an easy task, so i spoke with powertrax and ordered 3 new nipples and covers.

Fitted them today along with a smear of copper grease on the threads and they do work a lot better. Now the servo is fitted i flushed the whole system once again with fresh fluid just to make sure all the contamination is out of the system.

These are the new and old nipples.

So, this week i will get the chrome trim etc stripped off the front end ready to start the paint prep. Once the grill is off, i will strip the radiator out to flush and paint, I have all new water hoses ready to fit and i will take advantage of the improved access to take the dynamo and starter off to give them a quick check over. I have a new dynamo belt to fit as well.
All in all a great, productive day,

Kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a hectic few weeks in work due to promotion coupled with a glut of very heavy training. Pottered in the garage yesterday and had a few hours in there today.
Got all the necessary chrome stripped off and stored safely so apart from taking the front screen out she is ready for paint prep (need to order the screen seal as well).
Took the airfilter housing off and its currently soaking in an electrolysis bath to get all the crudy aluminium paint off. Next weekend it will be dried and blasted before a nice couple of coats of black gloss. That will make a nice difference in the engine bay.
Hopefully the wheels are coming off this week to have the tyres taken off, they will then go off to be powder coated. got the new tyres (with a thin whitewall strip) waiting to be fitted.
I will order the antifreeze this week and then drop the radiator out and flush the whole system. I have ordered and new thermostat and already have the new hose set in stock. I want to take my time with this process so i can clean and lubricate all the old jubilee clips for reuse, This will retain a bit of patina i think.
Just had an email from the assessor of this weeks examinations. Seems the 160 mile per day round trip and mind numbing lectures for 8 hours a day have paid off and i have passed the exams so with that in mind i am off for a bath and a bottle of coors.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few hours in the garage tonight.
Started to strip the cooling system down for a good flush out, check over and new hoses.
The radiator came out and looks fine, not too much crud floating about either. so that will get flushed and painted.
Decided that in the aim of reducing stupid mechanical failures, I would remove the water pump to inspect, paint up and fit a new gasket. All came off easily and it is in great condition so that will be cleaned, painted and refitted.
Took the thermostat housing off, removed the stat as I have a new new to fit, no crud in there either, so I think a bit of time with a hose pipe and then a few fills and refills with clean water will see the system nice and clean.
I will take the opportunity of increased access to remove the dynamo to clean and inspect it, repaint and refit if its ok, along with a new drive belt and some copper slip on the adjusters to aid future maintenance.

When I first got the vogue I noticed a chrome chain fitted below the dash.

never made sense what it was for but I didnt bother looking too hard.
as i started to strip things off tonight I realised that in front of the radiator was a metal frame with a roller blind type rad muff! how ingenious!!
not a great picture but it works well still.

All in all a great night.

kev
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished cleaning, degreasing and painting all the cooling system stuff inc the radiator, so that is everything ready to reassemble next week. Just waiting for a couple of additional original jubilee hose clips to arrive before i start.
I was hoping to reuse the existing hose clips, but to be honest, they were a mixed bag of assortments, so I decided to go for function over aesthetics and buy a set of original jubilee clips for the system. The main advantage is I have a proper jubilee clip tool for fitting them, makes the job quite easy and saves slipping with a screwdriver etc. Along with new hoses, they should help reduce the amount of stupid mechanical failures.
Whilst the radiator etc is out, I took advantage of the increased access, to remove and check/paint the dynamo.
That was a pig of a job due to needing a spanner on the back of the fixing bolts to keep the nut still. Managed to get it all off and its in great condition so rubbed it down and sprayed it up.
Had a quick look at the dynamo mounting bracket and decided that in order to make future maintenance a tad easier I would weld some captive nuts on it, making the adjustment a single spanner operation.

Before:

After:

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see things moving forward well Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

Jump to: