classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1954 Ford Popular 103e
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: 1954 Ford Popular 103e Reply with quote

Hello!!
Currently in (slow!) process of restoring a 1954 Ford Popular 103e!
No real nickname for the car, except he's always been known as "The Pop".. Pretty standard nickname with these cars I think.. Right time for a little bit of history..
My Aunty received this car on the 13th sept 1971.. He was bought for her, as a first car, for a whole £30!.. To put it nicely, she hated it (according to my dad!) so he got took out once or twice, and she never drove him again! Sad
My grandpa liked him though... And thought he was a little sweetie, so he got garaged a year or two later! He was sadly then used as a storing ground.. So he harboured engines, toys, and even a litter of kittens at one point!
He soon got transferred over into my grandpa's name, so with him being an engineer, he fiddled and tinkered about with him.. And kept him alive! Still garaged, he never really got taken out though sadly.. A few years down the line, sadly my grandpa passed away.. So he was left, untouched, just covered with his blankets... I saw him start once, when I was about 6!
I've always been fascinated by him.. I never really knew what he looked like, what he sounded like.. I just remember him being the old car in my Anna's garage that was covered with blankets, and surrounded by (LOTS!!!) of motorbikes!
My nana moved house in 2004, and so did he.. He finally saw light again.. Sadly on the back of a pick up truck, he wouldn't start.. Once again he got put in a garage, and covered with blankets!
4years later his new home became my back garden.. Nana passing meant it was a case of keep or get rid! Now me being fascinated as a child.. I wanted to keep him, so my dad said ok!.. So he was moved.. To our back garden! There he has sat for the last 5years... My dad said to me a month or so ago.. Fit him.. Or find him a new home! I couldn't just let someone have 40years worth of family.. So we kept him, and as I say.. We know have a slow process of getting him running! (If he will..?)
I shall upload some pictures in a few minutes.. Let me work out how to do it.. Very Happy
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair amount of rust where battery should sit!

Anyone know if this is an original steering wheel? My dad and I arent 100%

As you can see, headlining isnt the best (will need replacing at some point!)

[/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! the Pop doesn't look too bad at all, I'm sure it'll run again with TLC and preparation work. The steering wheel is original I think.

I'd be inclined to give it a good wash down and, if it's going to live outside for the foreseeable, wipe it all over with an oily rag to help preserve it - at least remove any build ups of leaves etc which harbour moisture.

Great project Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning!
He has been washed, should of said this photo's are from a month or so ago!! He's been washed inside and out.. Engines been cleaned of all muck and rubbish, he's had his seats scrubbed down, carpet inside removed, scrubbed and cleaned, windows all cleaned inside and out!
Tyres have been inflated, and some changed to replacement one's that had.. (Yes! We are a family that like to keep things!!) he's got brand new spark plugs to go in, picking up a 6volt battery tonight!
As I say.. All slow process! But he is clean.. I'll upload a more recent photo for you all now! Smile
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely old car and with great memories!
Im sure it will run given a tickle and then you can decide what to do. Id be seriously tempted to try and preserve as much of the patina as possible, just make it road worthy and off to go?

Kev
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening!
right after a slight fiddle about, my dad reckons the engine is lacking compression.. anyone know the best way to go about fixing this possible problem? best way to access the engine to fix it? through the top, or from the bottom?
Also.. (please excuse me, if i dont get this totally right but..) apparently the piping to the gasket is made of rope? can this be changed, and if so, what to?

Anyway..few more pictures of him, after he'd had his clean and stuff..

His little radiator, which at the moment still holds water!!

Right, anyone know what the little round sections are for? They have a tag so it can be removed, but it just shows you to the ground below.. anyone got any ideas?

Collected 2 6volt batteries tonight (second hand!) So keep your eyes peeled for the next stage.. of if there is life in him!! Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of compression could be caused by a few things, most likely sticking and/or burnt valves in the engine (at the top), they're accessible by removing the dynamo, distributor, and the cylinder head. A special tool is required to remove the valves. If you've not already got one I'd really recommend picking up a copy of the Ford 10 workshop manual, it'll really explain things well. Failing that even the factory handbook goes into some useful details on servicing etc.

The old-style head gaskets are made of copper and asbestos, the only rope I can think of is the oil seal pressed into the rear of the sump, which fits onto the bottom of the engine in which the oil sits.

There are several threads elsewhere on the forum that discuss good ways of getting an old engine to run again, and the steps to take before even trying to get it to start. These include the changing of oil, spinning the engine over to try and get the oil around the engine internally, getting the ignition side of things straight, and checking over the fuel supply (in the interim you can often set up a temporary fuel feed, bypassing the tank, just to establish if it'll run or not).

hth, RJ

RJ
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We think maybe they have stuck.. car was garaged fully running, so doubt they would have burnt (could be wrong though!)
Yes, youre right.. the sump gasket!.. any idea's on if they rope can be changed and what too?
This car is pretty much original, as i say, it hasnt been touched for a while.. so no added extra's, or modern parts!

Trying to find my way around the site.. may take me a day or two!
Will post in correct place.. when ive found my way there! hehe!

Charlotte Smile
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little car and looks very good condition, it shouldn't take too much to get it running ,just a bit of tinkering and patience Smile
The round holes in the floor are for the original Jack, there's four altogether
, one for each corner...(the front ones being in the metal floor panel.
Underneath each hole, in the chassis rail there are little square holes for the jack to locate.
Hope you have fun with the 'Pop' as they are basic (very basic Smile ) fun cars....I love mine Smile
All the best,
Greg
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thank you Greg!!
We did wonder, we've found the front 2 and knew instantly, but because the back ones lifted out.. we got a little confused! But all makes more sense now!
We have an old jack, unsure if its for The Pop though... i think we'll stick to the trolley jack for now, until we work out for sure!

More pictures and information to follow over the next few days/weeks/months of his progress!!

Charlotte Smile
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlotte. Before you start removing any parts, establish that the engine is turning freely (preferably using the crank-handle) and listen for any odd clunks, or scraping sounds. If all seems well, then some oil into each spark plug hole could well help to get some compression back, so do that and with the plugs replaced turn the engine over some more. An engine requires a certain amount of oil around the pistons and rings in order to create the seal needed for compression, and one that has been sitting a long time probably has no oil there.

If that does not help improve compression, then before removing the cylinder head, I would suggest removing the inlet and exhaust manifolds. Look into the ports, at the vertical shafts in the centre. They are the valve stems. While someone rotates the crank handle and see if all of the valves are moving up and down. Remember that each valve should open then close but only once for every two revolutions of the engine, and not necessarily in the order that you expect. A valve stem not moving indicates a stuck valve, and if that is the case, more advice on putting that right can be given

Good luck with your project, but please, if at all possible arrange for some weatherproof cover over the car. If the caravan alongside is not going to move for a while, perhaps some sheeting from it to the fence could be improvised to keep some of the rain and leaves away.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my classic has to live outside due to it's size....

I find that first a tarpauline and breathable caravan cover works very well
together.
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening!
Thanks for all your help everyone.. We shall be investigating into the engine a bit more in a few days or so!!
Here's an update tho... So we bought 2 6volt batteries last night.. And well this is what happened when we connected one up..

We have life!!!
His side lights work, passenger main beam works.. And his tail lights, at the moment no brake lights!
Started motor is just clicking.. So shall be looking into it a bit more soon!!

Charlotte Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool

I spy an old numberplate off something else, lurking to the left of shot...

Smile

RJ
Mahoney54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick!
The number plate you spy is OOB 705.. It came off a Ford Anglia we had, that was used as a sort of donor car for The Pop! Unsure of its where abouts now.. But we have its boot as a spare!! Smile
Wonder if anyone knows of it? And if its still running.. I think it was sold as a project when The Pop was stored away!!

Charlotte Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: