classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pinking/knocking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
1963EJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Pinking/knocking Reply with quote

I was wondering why the term "engine knock" is sometimes applied to pinking? On my 6 cylinder Holden engine I am getting a knock at around 2200 rpm, 40-45 mph in top. Its like a throb, a bit "hammery" sounding and also results in a slight vibration through the gas pedal. I dont believe it is engine wear as there is no noise at idle or revving up in the driveway, and if I accelerate through to 55 mph there is no knocking, sounds nice and smooth. I have also had a good listen all around the sump area with a mechanics stethoscope and wasnt able to detect any major main bearing noise.

So was wondering if what I am experiencing is a form of engine knock due to incorrect timing? The is no "pinking" sound (tinkly sound) at all if I push her hard up a hill at low revs in top gear, so had assumed advance wasnt the problem. But could this "knocking" be another form of pinking?

Would be really grateful for any ideas/opinions

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It might be piston slap, I had a 911 with a noisy piston at a certain rev range, was advise that it didn't warrant any major surgery .

Dave
JohnDale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EJ,could be incorrect timing at that particular RPM possibly caused by week/broken dizzy bob weight spring or wrong heat grade of plug causing pre-ignition. Could also be rubbish fuel if it's anything like our rubbish here in UK & so requiring a slight retard of timing. Don't know why it would vibrate the gas pedal unless there is a mis-fire at the same time.Cheers,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: