classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car shows
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat

Should car shows be free to exibitors
yes
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

mcpartland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Car shows Reply with quote

A lot of the members from the two car clubs that I attend object to having to pay to display their cars at car shows.

They have spent a lot of time and effort (and some times expence) in renovating their cars. Get up early pay for petrol to attend these shows.
Then get charged for entering.
If the money was going to charity I dont think anybody would mind,

But a lot of these show orginises are getting money allways round, Charging trade stands and members of the public and us the car owners(with out vehicles there would be no shows).
If all classic car owners refused to attend shows that charge an entrance fee I thing orginisers would rethink,.Are own club puts on a free show and I am sure there are a lot of other clubs put on free displays..
What are your thoughts on the matter.
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree McP. Interestingly I had a chat about this with Stuchamp a while back (PS your email addy still isn't right), and he was saying that in the US its common to pay to display, but in return you get a goodie bag of useful stuff, whereas in the UK you might get a cheapo little attendance plaque.

I don't book in to that many shows, but if you have details of organisers who do charge to display, by all means list 'em here and let exhibitors vote with their feet, or in this case throttle pedals

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no longer attending mini shows organised by the british mini club as they ask you to pay the same entrance fee, whether you are an exibitor or a visitor, and £5 or 6 is just too much! I now try to enter shows that are either free or are good enough to warant the fee. The British mini shows have also started saying that if you have a clubstand you have to dress your cars up to the theme set by them, this is both tacky and expensive!

Shows should be free to exibit at and relativeley cheap tp visit in my oppinion. Though I may just be tight! Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
mcpartland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you have to be carefull if you name and shame in a public forum(slander laws etc)
But if you read the trade papers that advertise these shows t names are there (about three people spring to mind)

I am not sure what you mean about the email adress can you send me a pm

Jim
mcpartland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

I don,t think it is you that is tight . Alot of the big single make car clubs charge for ther main show and when you look at the acounts you see that there is a lot of money in the kitty. you pay your yearly membership fees. get a couple of mags a year and then get charged to display..

why
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest there is a leaflet or small booklet out each year that lists loads of shows and the like, does anyone know what it is called or where I can obtain one?

Sorry it is slightly off topic, but it is pretty close and not worth it's own thread!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not slander if its stating a fact - if so-and-so make it clear that they charge exhibitors to display a vehicle, that (assuming the info is correct of course!!!) is a fact and not opinion IMHO. Its like saying the sky is blue.

I don't know who does, and who doesn't charge, to display in a show, so I'm just going off what you guys tell me Very Happy If you'd rather not mention names, thats fine by me Wink

Buzzy, sounds like the Mini club you mention are getting ideas above their station if they're charging that much to display, and telling you what theme to use.

Back to the original question, I agree it does seem a bit rum to charge to display, when it costs to get to the show anyway (fuel, insurances)

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is still a few shows out there that pay you petrol money for attending.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am concerned, the minimum to expect is that the driver and car get in free. Anything else, and I dont attend! I dont see how some organisers can expect exhibitors to pay. Its like paying to go to work.

A couple of years ago, we went to a show in Germany. Simply due to the fact that we had travelled from outside that country, we got free petrol plus a six pack (beer, not triple carb setup) Laughing for attending! Why cant other organisers do the same, instaed of using it as an excuse to fill their coffers?
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts on this matter from someone who has been organising classic car shows in Essex and East Anglia for fifteen years, initially for a car club and then on a commercial basis.

I only charged entrants to enter two of my shows, one that offered 15 minutes on a race track at a charity event where the contribution all went to the charity, and a second that involved a 40 mile road run where the cost covered the rally plate, copying the route, and a bit to cover my costs in researching and checking the route.

For the past four years all my shows have been free to enter, the costs are covered either by a sponsor, trade stands or from the public entry fees. Bear in mind that the organiser has the expenses of advertising, mailshots, posting entry forms, public liability insurance, marshalls, plaques and venue rental.

It does seem to me to be an insult to the owners of the cars to ask them to pay for a "simple" display type show, and then charge the public to come in as well. But owners do seem to want to support shows that charge, many such shows grow every year, so although some owners say they object there are more who are still prepared to pay to attend.

A lot of these are owners of what I call pseudo-classics from the eighties and nineties, that do not get invites to many shows. But shows that display too many of this type of car and not enough "real" classics are then a disappointment to the public who vote with their feet the following year.
mcpartland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian good points, I dont think that anybody objects to suporting shows where the money goes to charity or even making a donation to cover the costs of people organising road runs as the cannot get rembursment from the public. You are quite right in saying there are a 80/90s cars at some shows, my feeling is you might as well have a walk around your local supermarket car park (at least they are free) and you will see the same type of cars that are at some so called classic car shows.

Jim
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree, paying to cover costs is fine and a small charge for charity or even a donation for charity is good! But when a show charges for the people to get in, trade stands and for exibitors I refuse to go!

Some people/organisers are in it just to make a fast buck but others are more interested in providing a good show, and My support goes to them!

The anoying bit is that people continue to support shows that charge high rate and they are getting bigger every year, so the organisers therfore think they can raise there prices! We could do with the exibitors to stay away from such shows and make a bit of a point they would soon get the message! I went to a local show/fete during the season just gone, the organisers tried to charge us, but as I remember hardley any car owners aplied to go so at the last minute they sent letters to anyone saying the fee had been forgotten!

I won't go to expensive shows unless I have a reason to go such as something to buy within the show etc, there are plenty of other free, cheaper or charity fete/shows to atend!

Cheers and sorry for the essay!

Dave
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here the entrant pays anywhere from $5 up to about $35 depending if its a local or national type show. On the average its about $10 for local shows.
The entrant at some shows will receive a goody bag along with a dash plaque. Also trophy's are given out to the top 3 in the different classes. Sometimes up to 60 trophy's are awarded at a show.

Local shows usually have anywhere from 50 to 300 cars entered and the spectators get in for free!

This past summer I talked to the president of a local car club that puts on a show each spring about the show location, costs, etc.
Costs involved are advertising, trophy's, and the real biggy, INSURANCE!
The club gets a lot of sponsors who pay the majority of the costs and then anything that is left over from entry fees is donated to a charity.
I have no problem with this type of show as they are put on for very good causes.

Big car shows, 2500+ cars!
One example is a show here where the entrant pays $35 if you are a member of their national club or $65 for a non-member.
Your entry is for the car and 2 adults and you get a goody bag and are also elgible for sponsor giveaways and this is usually a 3 day event.
Spectators pay $12 to $15 to get in each day.
Besides seeing all the cars, you are provided with a lot of other entertainment, craft shows, firework display, live music, access to major sponsors in one local, swap meet, etc.
Do the promoters make a lot of money?.....YES!
Is it worth the entry fee?.........probably YES with all that is provided.

Every show is different, some good, some bad, but that's how they usually play the game over here! Rolling Eyes
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I would like to know is exactly what do we all require for a car show to become excellent?

Some ideas can be had from the replies, but for startes here are my suggestions.

Free entrance for driver and car.

A cruise.

A dance in the evening.

Trade Stands, with no tat!

If its a charity event, the first one can be removed, on the condition that absolutely no fees are charged by the organisers to the charity, not even for "15 minutes on a race track" or a "40 mile run." Charity is charity, and to ask for a payment even if it is only to cover costs, is in my eyes, declaring voluntary charity workers idiots! And yes, I know what replies this statement is going to bring!
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuchamp

Thanks for the figures on shows across the pond, makes a very interesting comparison with the UK situation.

But how many shows of this type are run each year? In my part of the UK from May to September we have on average 5 shows EVERY Sunday to choose from within 30-40 miles. Almost all, including the larger ones, are one day events. The vast majority will have less than 100 classics. Sure there are a few larger events but even the biggest don't often top 1000 cars.

The Public will only pay £2 or £3 each to get in to a smaller show, going up to £6 to £8 for larger events. For my events I always have the display alongside other attractions, - antiques fairs, country craft fairs, race meetings, others are held at stately homes, so the family has something to do while the real car enthusiast is drooling over the classics. This also helps to make the entrance fee more attractive to the public.

Jim

Please don't start me off on the subject of 80-90's cars getting in. The arguments I have with owners of ordinary moderns who try to get into my free shows to avoid paying the public admission cost. The usually try to sneak in around lunchtime when the classics are all parked up and the marshalls are taking a break. I don't mind the odd late model Ferrari, Lotus or Aston, because the public like looking at them but the "tesco car park" entrant is definitely not welcome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: