classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat

Should car shows be free to exibitors
yes
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
no
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Cooper S'd Mk1 would do very nicely (needn't be an original example), no rust required though - I've got enough of that already. Reverse rims and lots of auxiliary lamps hung off the front naturally

Very Happy

R
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rust, I thought they were made of rust and then the rust slowly turns back into sound metal? Have I been going wrong on this one?? Very Happy Laughing
alfanut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven the new Mini a few times, and though it's a very nice car in its own right, it's not a 'proper' Mini, not nearly so chuckable for a start. The interior is also too contrived and is actually nothing like the original.
I think that the PT Cruiser is the only one that pulls it off, perhaps because it's not based on anything, except possibly an E493A Prefect. Weren't there a couple of them at one of those Swedish shows? How did they manage to get in?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the shows here let in late model yanks now and again. Why, I dont know! I wouldn't take my late model, couldn't stand the skits!

UJ
Carl La Fong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
you say the new mini is simmilar to the old one but with the bad bits removed, yes and no. Obviously the ride is more comfortable and it is more modern etc, but that is half the fun of the old one, also allways haveing stuff to do on the old ones is allways fun, (well nearly allways!) Very Happy

The only problem is you have to sacrifice on looks compared to the original mini, Like I said earlier it is to much of a copy, if it had more of it's own features then it wouldn't be trying to rip the mini off.

Anyway I agree with you, you like it thats fine, I like old minis, thats fine, we all like different things and we all have different oppinions that we can express freely without causing offense! (Hopefully, sorry in advance if not! Embarassed )

Cheers

Dave

No offence whatsoever, Dave. I remain a fan of real Minis, it's just that for me they aren't an option as a daily drive! One day, though, I might want a weekend car....
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

First of all I am never offended when someone on a forum has a different view to my own, just as long as the exchange of ideas is kept on a polite level - just as this one has been.

What I find hilarious on this thread is that you and I are having a heated argument from two very different positions and then there are 8 messages talking about modern Minis! A bit like being at a party where two guests start a noisy argument and others try to change the subject to diffuse the situation!

So - back to the topic!

I will defend my position of taking money from a charity by giving some figures, but I don't think it is right to name the particular charities involved.

I have run one particular show for 6 years now. I was approached by the Charity and agreed a fixed fee of £400 to totally organise the Classic vehicle display as part of their event which has an antiques fair, craft fair and other attractions. They had been charging £3.00 per person for admission and average attendance had been 1500 - 2000 people. Total income £6000. With the addition of a car show they increased the charge to £4.00 per person. Attendance the first year went up to 5000, total income £20,000. (It has never dropped below 3500 in the six years and that was on a rainy day.) The increase has also meant that the stall holders are now paying 20% more for their stands than they used to and the charity always sells every available space and has a waiting list.

A second show is alongside the charity's annual fete. I agreed a fee structure where I took a percentage of the increase in admissions. Previously for about ten years, the car display was organised by a small local car club and the display varied between 20 and 50 cars. Then the Club pulled out as internal politics meant their membership was declining and the couldn't find the volunteers to run the show, or the cars to display. Since I have been running this show we have had at least 100 cars with almost 200 on a couple of occasions. The admissions to the fete have continually increased year on year and the car display is a major attraction. The Charity, for no work or expense, receives 80% of the increase that I have generated for them.

I suggest that these are a win/win/win situations. The entrants get a good show to go to free of any entrance fee, the charity receives a lot more income than previously, and I cover all my costs and make a small profit at the end of the day.

UJ - I doubt if we will ever agree on this but I would like to hear from other owners what they think.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that we (unlike some forums) can maintain a healthy debate without taking a pop at each other, good stuff chaps, keep it up!! I've not read all the replies in detail but its an interesting talking point, thanks for joining in with your info Brian, its not often that we entrants see the 'behind the scenes' activities of the organisers.

I don't quite remember how the Mini debate ended up in the middle of this thread, guess these threads take on a mind of their own Very Happy

cheers
Rick.
alfanut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, a couple of years ago I went to a charity classic car show with my son-in-law because he had an invitation to see the launch of the new Mini convertible there Smile . I expect sponsorship like this helped a lot. Entry was free, but there were a lot of programme sellers and collectors seeking donations, so the charity did well.
It all seems to be a question of value for money. It seeems fair to charge if something extra is provided, but to pay just to park in a field all day as one of the main attractions seems a bit much.
mcpartland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replys on this subject it whent a little bit of tangent wit the mini thing, perhaps i should start a new tread what year should be the cut of year (cars built before) for classic car shows leave the expensive cars out as I think we all like to drool over them

jim
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcpartland wrote:
what year should be the cut of year (cars built before) for classic car shows

Over here, 1972 !
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M: I guess that the best thing that we can do is agree to disagree! Although I will admit, I do have an idea as to how you can earn a bit without it costing the charity! One thing that you will notice on this forum is that we do have a tendency to drift off subject, i guess its because we are all so friendly!

As far as the cut off date for car shows goes, I think somewhere between 1972 and 1974. As I have pointed out on another thread, this was the period that cars started to be fitted with emission controls, and stopped being cars! Though obviously, there will be exceptions, such as Minis, that were basically the same car both before and after that period.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am glad that minis are the exception, I can't get over how many people walk up to my 1996 Mini Sidewalk, and say I had one of those in the 60's!!

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts on the cut off date issue.

For my shows the cut off date is 1975 and those of a body shape in production in 1975. This allows all MGB's, Stags, 2CV's, Shadows, Minis (but not the BMW Mini!) to attend even though the individual car may have been made as late as the 1980's.

This can cause occasional problems with some club stands where their members cars don't fit this rule. As an example (but not to single them out in anyway) the Granada Owners Club, where the above should only allow Mark 1 Granada's and exclude Mark 2's, so I really have to allow them to be an exception. This is fine where they create their own Club stand and are all parked together, but then of course non-members in Mark 2's can get upset when they are turned away.

I also welcome more modern Supercars, as it is obvious that the public like to see them.

Kit Cars and Replicas pose another problem. Cobra and GT40 replicas meet my criteria, but what do I do about Spartans, Pilgrims etc, where the body shape did not exist pre-1975, but the car is registered pre 1975?

Has to be a judgement call on my part, that may upset the owner if I refuse them, or upset other entrants if I let them in.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, the thing is though, how would you stand on say a Cobra with a Chevy V8? Most people know that the Cobras were Ford powered, and to use a Chevy is just ****! It stops it being a replica, and turns it into a cheap kit car. For me, its just as bad as say, a VW engined Bugatti!

Personally, I reckon that your basic rules are OK. Admitedly, I would like to see an earlier cut off date, but that just my opinion! I do think however that they should be enforced more ridgidly,ie no MkII Granadas, even on club stands! But thats just me! No exoticars either....let them go play somewhere else!
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

The purist in me would like to have a cut-off of 1970 ish but it would reduce cars on display by quite a bit.

I would like to stop the "Mark 2 Granada" syndrome, but the UK club scene makes it difficult, and good relations with a variety of Clubs are an essential part of my marketing.

I could agree with your Exoticar statement, but for the crowds that gather around a Ferrari or Countach show me that they are a popular part of the display. The one Maclaren F1 that ever attended one of my shows was totally surrounded for the whole day. The owner arrived, politely asked if he could display it, and then left it unattended for the rest of the day!

It really comes down to what the General Public like and they are not all knowledgable enthusiasts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: