classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Eight/Ten Engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Ford Eight/Ten Engine Reply with quote

Has anybody found an effective way of reducing the oil leak from the front string seal?

Better three than four.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have obtained a normal 'lip' type oil seal, that has the same external diameter as the timing chain/sump recesses, clamping the seal in place between the two halves, with some heavy duty PTFE tape around the edge of the seal to bed it in, and then tried two options on the front pulley. Option 1) infill the oil spiral on the pulley itself, providing a smooth surface for the seal lip to run against, Option two is a little more drastic. I have machined the spiral section off completely, placed a bush on the crankshaft extension cutting in the slots for the keyways on the crank, and in the pulley, providing a smooth surface for the seal lip to run on.
I will comment at a point in the future as to the best option.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: