classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Spring Clamp Roller Packing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
MikeG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Spring Clamp Roller Packing Reply with quote

1936 Triumph GLoria
I am about to make new Rollers for the Clamps which fit on ends of the first leaves of the Springs.
Can anyone tell me if they should fit tight against the spring ,or should there be clearance,and if so how much?
What material should they be made from?The remains of the old set was Brass.This would seam to me to be to soft and wear quickley.
Any help Please
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Are you sure that they are rollers? On my Jaguar's front springs there are a pair of half-moon shaped sliders (trunnions) in a housing made from bronze at the rear of the spring. The spring slides between these and being round allows for spring deflection movement. Anyway bronze should be you metal of choice IMHO.

Art
MikeG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Spring Clamp RollerPacking Reply with quote

Thanks Art,
What was left on one of the bolts was piece of thin wall brass, so I assumed that it was the remains of a roller.I.will have to do some more research.
Is it normal to only have one slide or linier bearing on the Spring,and is this on the end were the Shackle that is free to revolve?
I will need find a supplier of a small quanity of Bronze Rod
Thanks again
Mike.
ka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Bronze Rod Reply with quote

If you run out of options, most Autojumbles are attended by a stand that sells small quantities of plate and bar in most materials..

best of luck,

Better three than four.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The Jaguar arrangement is in lieu of a shackle. If you have shackles I can't think why you would have a roller. Any pictures?

EDIT:- I've just realised what you are referring to. You mean the clips that hold the leaves together. On the Jaguar these are U shaped clamps with a steel tube to stop it crushing the clamp and restricting the spring's sliding action. These wear a groove across the spring leaf. Using a brass/bronze tube as on your car is (I would think) a better way of doing things. I made up a slider plate to span this groove on mine as a short term fix. The leaves affected will have to be replaced (eventually).

Art
MikeG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art,
It is the clips that hold the spring leaves together.
As I have some brass, I have machined tubes to suit, which I will replace with bronze when I can find some.

I do have grooves in the springs. I assumed that these were standed as new as a location point.
It now makes sense that they are wear points.
Thanks
Mike .

Thanks also to Ka for the tip for finding Bronze
Mike
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

This is how my springs were worn:-

My solution:-

Art
MikeG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art
Thats a great idea.
Thanks very much for your help
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: