classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

53 E493A Prefect brake light switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: 53 E493A Prefect brake light switch Reply with quote

Hullo All,
Another problem rears its head. After remove floor etc any repainting on going to replace drivers side floor plate found two green wires coming from harness by pedals. According to wiring diagram these are for brake light switch, which should be attached by a chain to the pedal and bolted to chassis. Found two slotted holes on chassis member by pedal but no sign of switch. Am I looking in the right place? car not running when I got it so quite possibly taken off before. If so any ideas where I might get one:?
Jeff
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right Jeff, the switch is approx 4" long, made of Bakelite with a lever arm sticking out the top with, as you say, a chain to attach to the brake arm.

It looks as though you've found the right location as the elongated holes are for adjustment.
Sounds ad though someone has robbed the car of its switch, but they are still available from places like 'Small Ford Spares' etc. Theyre not cheap but occasionally they come up on E-Bay.

I'm not sure if the new ones are still Bakelite or not but if you do source one just be careful not to do the bolts up too tight as the mounting holes are quite fragile and easily crumble Smile

All the best,
Greg
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....just had a look, they're cheaper than I thought Smile
There's a couple, LHD & RHD of different vehicles, best to check which one, but hopefully here's a link:

http://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/products/7w-13480-a-brake-stop-light-switch-1
safechief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, thanks for that, checked the web site, look good. Can't see chain tho'. Probably have to find generic chain and experiment. No hurry, as things to do first like put the old gal back together. I'll keep an eye on e-bay too. Thanks again for your interest & help
Jeff
maltae493a

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: door bolts Reply with quote

please can any one tell ma the type of bolts i need to the front doors to the pillars for the prefect e493a, or can provide a picture .thanks regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: