classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Vinyl roof ... mmmm
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velvotex was very popular round here, it would hide the rust for some time. If it had too much sun the colours would fade.

A local company "perfected" a spray on vinyl roof, in hot sun it would go sticky and you could see fumes rising from the car. Apparently the fumes were very flammable. I did hear a couple of cars went up in flames when the fumes were ignited. Ironically the guy who perfected this paint was part of a family that built fire engines.
52classic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a spray on vinyl roof product sold in accessory shops during the 60's. I think the maker was called Winkrace and it came with a roll of thick tape to simulate the seams. Same company also sold an aerosol window tinting product and something called 'leatherair' which was supposed to make your plastic interior smell like leather.

Never heard of velotex but I do remember Velvetex which was a sort of electrostatic process in which tiny hairs were attracted to the car body which must have been charged in some way. I recall that some Lotus interiors were treated with it and HOT CAR coated the exterior of the editor's
Vitesse. Wonder if the hairy Vitesse survived?
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one 52classic.

It was over 40 years ago, but I got the V and the X in the right place Laughing
Minxy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh vinyl roofs, that reminds me of a story involving a certain safari park, a couple dozen monkeys, men in land rovers with guns and a bill to replace one on a MkIV Cortina. Shocked
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be interesting to resurrect this old thread.

Has anyone here's car got a vinyl roof, do you have a like or dislike for them in general, and has a car ever looked better than before, once a vinyl top has been fitted?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cadillac has a vinyl roof it was one of the differences between the Coupe de Ville and the "entry model" Calais. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago, although the body was a bit crusty at the very back edge it wasn't too bad. It was possible to see where the original welds in the roof had just been roughly ground down. No need to finish it properly if it's not being panted!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
Certain Vauxhall Chevettes?

I don't recall ever seeing a Chevette with a vinyl roof, but I might have just forgotten.

I'd have though one of the later cars (if you can call them production cars) supplied new with vinyl would be Rolls-Royce, something like the Silver Spirit / Spur.

My Firenza had a vinyl roof along with the Britax sunroof when I got it, but the vinyl roof wasn't put back on after the rebuild. I was a bit concerned about what was going on underneath it, along the edges, though it mainly turned out to be dried glue rather than rust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: