classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Asbestos Brake Linings vs Woven Brake Linings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Classicars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Asbestos Brake Linings vs Woven Brake Linings Reply with quote

Hi,
Since asbestos material is no longer in production, are woven brake linings recommended for classic cars?
Are there any UK suppliers of new old stock asbestos brake linings for the 1946 Rover P2 please?
It would be more viable to re-line the brake shoes myself (with rivets) than to send them overseas for re-lining as these would cost me a fortune on postage expenses. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Regards
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its now illegal to sell any brake/clutch product even NOS containing any asbestos in the course of trade.

It still happens of course but the woven linings for a P2 (in my experience which do not last as long as compo solid asbestos anyway) are asbestos/textile anyway. Both types were fitted from the mid 1930's

I try to get asbestos linings and pads for all our classics but it is getting harder.

Modern non-asbestos linings take longer to bed in and wear out drums and disks faster.

I reline shoes myself these days - cheap glued on ones for Land Rovers actually come unstuck and do not stop very well even when still stuck on
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
ka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained asbestos linings, stating they were for racing use, this is some time ago though.

Better three than four.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I served my time we took the dust out of drums etc with a wet rag,an airline was a no no.
All this H and S is getting a bit silly,I went to the dentist the other day and he was wearing a face mask,goggles a hat and gloves. So was the nurse and she wasn't closer than six foot away,next time I'm going to arrive geared up like that.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the high vis vest as well
heathelect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been on an asbestos awareness course, Im in the building trade, Im sure over the years i have been exposed to it through the course of my work, (sparky), on pipe insulation, ducts etc etc, it was used everywhere in buildings, its frightening not knowing if in the future if you will get an asbestos related disease, so gents its a big NO NO for me, I will not go anywhere near it. Be very careful don't touch it.
Classicars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello gentlemen,
I think that the subject has lost its course. Everybody knows that asbestos is illegal since it is a hazardous material which can be fatal if inhaled. But that depends also on the safety precautions by the person handling asbestos related material. My question is not about health and safety, but it is on the efficiency and reliability of the type of linings mentioned in the subject. However one has to appreciate all opinions and ideas posted in this forum.
Thanks
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friction Technologies (which I think is what Ferodo became) re-lined the clutch on my truck, I think they could also have done the brake linings too but we didn't need that.

A friend of mine had modern linings put on his pre-war car's shoes and he found them a little grabby, in the end he tracked down original material and says that it improved brake feel considerably.

For NOS linings I'd be searching ebay, autojumbles and the like.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found on discs, that instead of the pads wearing out and being replaced, the discs became sacrificial as well necessitating replacement of both. This may mean modern materials are harder, draw you own conclusions!

Better three than four.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
I have found on discs, that instead of the pads wearing out and being replaced, the discs became sacrificial as well necessitating replacement of both. This may mean modern materials are harder, draw you own conclusions!

We needed discs and pads on a Panda after 18,000 miles. Mind you that was taking the main dealer's word for it and bearing in mind they are always looking for an easy earner. The thing is, pads and discs can be quite cheap now and are nearly always easier to do than the old shoes, except on the rears.
With the gentle braking we should be doing on older vehicles and the fact that braking avoidance is a priority, I wonder if it matters that the new materials have different characteristics?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modern has done 75,000 miles and is still on the original pads and discs! I'm not heavy on the brakes and many of these miles are motorway so probably less braking per mile than on other roads. The onboard computer tells me I still have another 12000 miles on the front and 26000 on the rear.

In terms of classic vehicle brake wear, I agree with Peter, the generally low distance traveled and sympathetic driving style adopted by most owners, should present less wear issues.

Dave
john-saab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rally a MKII Zodiac and it has the period optional disc brake conversion up front. The discs are rather small for a big car and the pads get knocked out in just one rally...a new set when leaving home can be down to steel in 2000 miles. Apparently they were known to be like that when new (but guessing in every day use would last a lot longer)
On the 2011 Chester to Monte Carlo rally we tried modern EBC greenstuff pads at £80 per set, they failed after 800 miles.
I have a set currently fitted that were made many years ago and marked as aspestos, made by a company called "Gandi"..they survived last years Poppy rally and still have life left in them..they won't do this years Monte but will stay in the boot as spares for when the new set i'm fitting this week wear out. At £35-40 per set it's not ideal to keep getting through them so i'm always looking for new old stock pads.
Before you ask..everything is the system is in tip-top condition, new discs and overhauled calipers, no binding...it's just that they get used very hard and are not ideal for this car..but thats the way Ford designed them.
My point is that the old shoes and pads seem to give a more positive braking experience and last longer.
Never take the dangers of aspestos lightly...the dust is a killer so i always try to wash everything down with brake cleaner before touching anything near the wheels. The dust gets everywhere, not just the drums but in the wheel arches etc.
RUSTON

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:

Some modern linings use sintered iron so the discs will wear rapidly. We used to have Climax forklifts and they wore a clutch out in less than a month, we fitted sintered iron linings and then the flywheels had to be replaced twice a year instead! Confused
We used to remove Foden 17 inch clutches and then blow the dust off with an airline, you couldn't see in the workshop for minutes afterwards. The same with brake linings, blast the hubs and drums out with no masks etc, and then knock the old linings off with an airchisel and hammer new ones on. A wonder we all survived really! Smile
With trucks I found the asbestos linings gave better braking with less fade, but times change of course.

Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: