classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My 74 Spitfire project.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: My 74 Spitfire project. Reply with quote

I bought this car about 9 months ago with the intention of a quick recomission in time for the show season. The plan was that I would take this one to the classic car shows whilst working on the DAF. What actually happened was that I ended up working on both of them, and then having surgery which until about a week ago meant I couldn't drive the spit anyway.

Here she is as she arrived in my yard after the previous owner kindly delivered her to me. Sadly because she was delivered I didn't realise that her ground clearance is too low to get up the drive. Im hoping a new rear spring will sort that issue.

I was very pleased with my purchase of a solid looking spit but a little digging and poking found a few bits of rot to sort.

Thats what I knew about in advance of the purchase and it was soon fixed.

Rot removed and new bits welded in. I also found a few extra places that needed some work.

Including some chassis repairs these were done with 1.5mm sheet steel so should be strong enough. They certainlly look a lot better than some of the hideous welding a previous owner has done on this car which I am having to systematically cut out and redo.

Some prodding and poking and removing of filler discovered this mess.

Apart from the appalling welding that is 1.5mm flat sheet steel welded on over all 4 floorpans which having taken the time to remove the interior I know are actually in reasonable condition. Confused These have actually caused me a bit of a headache they don't appear to be hiding anything but the numpty that put them on has welded them to both the body and the chassis so at some point they are going to have to be removed to do this I need to fabricate a roll over jig as the spits track is too narrow for my inspection pit. Anyway I have repaired the rot in the sill with it in place for the time being.

With the welding out of the way, well what im doing for the time being anyway I want to get some use out of the car before it gets confined to the garage for long term work and before I do that I want the DAF running. It was time to have a look at some of the other issues.

1st of which was to replace the missing wiper motor and various jammed control cables. Then roughly 1/2 an hours tinkering and the engine was nearly ready to be fired up. It was at this point that I realised that the rad was empty. So I topped it up before going for the start and watched it all pour out of the side of the block Sad Thankfully that was nothing more sinister than a missing core plug. With that replaced, the coolant succesfully replenished, float chambers full of fresh petrol and the timing set statically she fired first time. No nasty noises and she drives Very Happy

Brakes required some new flares on the replacement solid pipes and that was all whomever replaced them didn't know how to use a flaring tool.

That is where she sits at the moment. I have a few jobs in mind to do over the winter. First of which is to replace the foam in the seats. Someone has fitted new covers over the originals which are lovely and tidy so with some fresh foam the seats should be nice and the dash needs some work. Im currently in the process of going through the electrics with a fine tooth comb and replacing anything even slightly suspect, after smoke started pouring out from behind the dash when I turned the headlights on she also needs a new manual wash wipe switch.

Im going to use my Mothers furniture restoration skills to breath some life back into this dashboard

and on the bodywork side I need to do something about this.

pauldaf44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently managed to get hold of this for the spit for the princely sum of £15. It needs some work but its definatly salvegable. I intend to paint it gloss black as I feel that would compliment the unoriginal paint colour on the car.

Now for £15 it was never going to be a good example and having stripped all the glass, the headlining and the seals from it I have a reasonable idea of what needs doing.

First get rid of all that disgusting paint which im sure is not automotive paint anyway and sort out the areas of surface rust which thankfully seems to be what most of the rot is.

This area along the bottom of the vent windows is full of filler so will need to be rebuilt. It is the same on both sides.

The rear screen channel also needs to be repaired in places. This corner is particularly bad.

But the other side is quite a lot better. A bit of work to be going on with but I think it was worth buying.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to following progress with the Spit, my Mk3s (long since gone to new homes) were both rotten as pears when found Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to do something about the dubiously low ride height this one was suffering so invested in this lot.

So set about fitting it.. The rear proved a little tricky to do without a helper. Anyway ive got it done but still need to fit the rear shocks.

The ride height is improved but im now thinking its sitting higher than it should be at the back and it certainlly shouldn't be leaning to one side.

I still have front left spring and shocker to change and the rear shockers still need to be fitted. This was the result of fitting the rear spring I think something must be wrong there but I can't think what.

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that if I jacked mine up and let it down again, the positive camber on the back wheels would remain very apparent (like in your photos), but it'd settle back to negative camber as normal after driving along for a short distance. This was on a Mk3 though, not a Mk4. Have you taken it far yet since fitting the spring?

RJ
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 3 car lengths forwards and backwards so not very far at all. With a brand new spring as well its going to take a little time to settle so I hope thats all it is. Once ive got the new shocks on I'll take her down the farm track which is about a mile round trip over a dirt track. That should give the suspension ample oppurtunity to settle again.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think I read something on here, on another thread, about not doing a final tightening up of suspension bolts until the weight was back on the wheels and the vehicle had been rolled forward and back as well.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ellis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mark 4 Triumph Spitfire on wire wheels must be rare. I don't recall seeing one until you showed your (excellent) photos. Earlier models, yes, but not a Mark 4.

I can sympathise with the condition of the hard top. My Stag being a 1976 Mark 2 had one as standard but they were an option on Mark One's.
A fellow owner with a 1971 "J" registered found one for sale in Chester in 1989 and I lent him my pick up to go and collect it.

I recall that he paid around £100 then for his and he needn't have bothered.
Below the fresh paint and filler it was as rotten as a pear and the shaking it was subjected to on the journey home left a pile of rust on the pick up's rear bed.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took her for her first proper drive just now on private roads we have a few issues that need sorting but definitely some very good news.

She runs and drives had her in first, second and reverse. No nasty noises and lovely smooth change.
The brakes work well
Clutch although very sharp to start with settled in nicely after a little time.
Handling is interesting although that's not surprising with no rear shocks.
Shocked

Issues I don't fit!
She runs well enough but is definitely needing tuning.
When cold she is awkward to start and temperamental to the choke.
Once warm idle is way to high. 1200rpm and if you rev her up it stays at more like 2000rpm. Throttle cable is brand new and not sticking so need to look at ignition timing and carb mixture and balance.

Over all not a bad first run The engine pulls well, has loads of power and revs readily and she certainly put a smile on my face that after all has got to be the most important thing.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
I think I read something on here, on another thread, about not doing a final tightening up of suspension bolts until the weight was back on the wheels and the vehicle had been rolled forward and back as well.

Hi Penman ~ yes it was advice for me see below ~ all sorted now thanks everyone Cool

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14258&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=leaf+springs&start=0
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bugger I appear to have killed it!

Decided to get this one out of the workshop did some fiddling getting her ready for MOT and had her running quite nicely certianlly she was driving well untill the cabin filled with smoke and steam started issuing from under the bonnet all the time the temp gauge says normal. Oh crap looks like ive just cooked the engine.

Ive let her cool down again and discovered a now empty radiator and a split heater pipe. Disconected and blanked the heater and refilled her with water and started her again. Yep something is now definatly amis. She wont idle properly, idle speed is now very slow and she stalls frequently. Try and pick up the revs and there is a significant misfire to the point id say she is running on 3 possibly only 2. Checked the oil cap, crap mayo, looked in the rad oh great what was clean water 5mins ago is now full of oil. I won't know for sure until I compression test, which requires finding my spark plug socket, but I suspect a blown HG, or a cracked head or block. Not funny!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy enough engine to work on paul, im sure a rebuild will sort it?

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed sounds like the HG could have gone pop, the symptoms sound similar to the two times my Mk3's gasket did the same, curiously at exactly the same junction on both occasions - miles from home, mid-journey. At least my Spitfire breakdowns tended to take place close to watering holes, handy while waiting for either the AA or dad to come out, and tow me home again Smile

RJ
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compression test result is in, all plugs removed and throttle wide open.

Result is

4 - 140psi
3 - 110psi
2 - 140psi
1 - 140psi

140 psi seems reasonable to me although id have been happier with them a bit higher but one cylinder down to 110psi that spells trouble, lets hope it is just a blown gasket and nothing more serious.
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head is now off and it looks to be good news.

Ive got to do more cleaning up of the mating faces to be a hundred percent sure but even after running a UV light over the combustion chambers I see no cracks. Unfortunatly checking where the HG has blown is proving difficult as the HG itself didn't come off in one piece it rather disintergrated into several pieces. I will be checking the head and block for warping after cleaning them up tomorrow using engineers rule and a sheet of glass but im hopeful I wont find warping.

Having the head off naturally I decided to check the condition of the bores. The anwser no disernable wear step or scoring, very little in the way of carbon deposits and honing marks still clearly visible in all 4 bores. To be honest I really do suspect quite strongly now that this engine has had a recent rebuild. I do however have a slight concern im a little worried about how tight she is to turn over, it takes a fair effort to turn it over by the crank pulley even with no head fitted and it doesn't feel entirely smooth the best description would be it feels gritty.

Now she seemed to run very nicely prior to the HG failure so at the moment im tempted to leave well alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: