classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

E 493a rear wheel bearings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
safechief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: E 493a rear wheel bearings Reply with quote

Hi All, more trouble I guess. Relined front brakes on the old gal and decided to check backs. Removed drums with my trusty puller, with method remember from my Model Y days of 50 years ago ie large spanner and hammer, reckon these had been on that long too. New linings needed so ordered these at reasonable price I thought. Then decide to check bearing surfaces on axles casing ends. Quelle horreur! Case hardening worn both above and below. Spoke to my experienced advisors , lots of fords like this apparently repair kits available for c £160, but received wisdom seems to be if I am only going to do low mileage, put plenty grease on and put it all back together . Comments and further advice appreciated please
Jeff
JR FLYWHEEL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

I own a 1955 103E. A couple of years ago I had the same problem as you.

I decided to bite the bullet. And go for the rear axle repair kit. This cost me £160 but I think it was money well spent.

It’s a good repair for my car, and I’ve had no problem with bearing noise, or excessive movement.

I’ve owned my pop for 22 years now.

The only problem I had while doing this job, was trying to remove the old bearing runners in the hub/brake drum. They were stuck tight; I had to go to a machine shop for that.

Good luck and post some photos if you have time.

Thanks.

Flywheel
RUSTON

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked on Foden trucks back in the 1970's they suffered rear hub seal failure due to the bearings turning on the axle tube and causing wear. We remedied this by coating the worn area with a product named BELZONA paste, we cleaned the area well and spread the mixture on (it was a two pack compound) and then pushed the bearing over it a few times using a release agent supplied with it to level it. Then we left it to harden overnight and then reassemble, this was on 30 tonne gross eight legger's and it stood up well to the weight etc. Don't know if the stuff is still available, I guess that it wasn't cheap though?

Pete.
safechief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Pete and flywheel for replies. Food for thought
Jeff
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete, can you say whose kit you used, small ford spares or FSOC. Price is similar, but seem to get more for yourt money from Small Ford
Regards
jEFF
best car ever Daimler V8 saloon 1965, cost me £450. first car Model y Ford cost £15.cars ove 50 years A40 Devon, a30, 35 , consul 375,mini cooper 1962 herald,viva hb Opel ascona, austin1100 capri mk2 many cortinas, saab
Peugeot, renault etc
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with Fords but safechief might be interested. About 1972 my mate had a V8 Daimler a beautiful car when it was running, but it did have its problems. One day the starter died my mate asked me for a tow start, I had a 64 Plymouth Belvedere at the time. We wrapped a chain round the front bumper supports on the Daimler. I pulled away in the Plymouth there was a horrible noise as the whole front end of the Daimler chassis bounced down the road
safechief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that V8 nutter, didn't anyone say you can't tow start an automatic
Still good for a laugh, bet he wasn't best pleased
Jeff
Peugeot, renault etc
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My memory may be playing me up (it's an age thing) but I'm thinking manual, or perhaps I was going to tow it home for him
safechief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled a few bumpers of meself, but never the front of a car!!!What do you have now?
Peugeot, renault etc
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body stayed behind, it was the bumper, two out riggers, and I think a front crossmember.

I have a 1970 Cadillac Coupe de Ville that is a two door hardtop, a 1937 Ford V8 Touring Sedan, that is a four door with a boot. It's a British assembled R.H.D. It's in bits at the moment it was going to be a retirement project, but I haven't managed to retire yet.
Daily driver is a 2008 Seat Ibiza Sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: