classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

fuel catalyst
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
robo0121

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: fuel catalyst Reply with quote

Hi.whats your opinions on these fuel catalysts that are just dropped into tank .??? is it true you can just use unleaded..??
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to being sceptical........Vehicle manufacturers spend millions trying to squeeze more power & MPG out of engines, whilst at the same times lowering emissions to meet ever more stringent targets....if chucking a lump of something in the tank would make even a small difference, I'm convinced they would have done it by now..?

Dave
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can guarantee that half a litre of snake oil applied to the tank once a year far exceeds the claims made for fuel cats.

Peter
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I can guarantee that half a litre of snake oil applied to the tank once a year far exceeds the claims made for fuel cats.

Peter

You don't even need to go to the expense of snake oil. Just a magic wand waved over the tank will give exactly the same benefit.

I see these things still for sale at the shows and wonder why the sellers have not been prosecuted.
pigtin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we prosecuted everyone who made false claims no politician would be safe...
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
If we prosecuted everyone who made false claims no politician would be safe...

Nor any journalist Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jessejazza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Peter

What is snake oil?

Regarding a fuel catalyst - I did try some and it did make a difference. But seems there are a lot of folk making these things... when Broquet developed this secret formula for stimulating fuel a lot seem to know know about it! It certainly did work in WW2 Russia for the Hurricanes we supplied to the Russians.

But it never protected the heads from recession so their claims are ??? Recession would be slightly reduced as less carbon deposits are finding their way onto the surfaces.

Fuel quality certainly varies; I only use Shell, BP, Esso and never supermarket fuel. For my best cars I use superunleaded as that is closer to the octane rating that the older engines were designed for i.e. 97/98 - which itself will reduce slightly valve seat recession (if heads haven't been done).
Inglewood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil Smile
ka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Fuel/Alcohol Reply with quote

Thought the Alcohol may catch readers eye.
Interesting thread on the Fuel Catalyst, and I agree that if every fraudulent claim was pursued, it would be a quieter world.
The Brochard adverts are well publicised, so I can only assume they have been scrutinised by the legal-eagles, but without raising the whole fuel issue again, just a thought.
We have been using un-leaded fuel for some time now, I not only run a side-valve, but a British twin cylinder motorcycle. I recently had the head off the sidevalve, and whilst it was off, had a look at a few of the valves, and no valve seat recession, just a comparatively clean head.
The bike had a camshaft problem,(dodgy hardening even on a NOS item) but quite a few thousand miles, and the same outcome, so I raise the question, was the scare mongering just that?

Better three than four.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not absolutely sure but I believe Merlin engines had Stellite valve seats, which means recession would not have been a problem, even with low octane fuel. The biggest problem would have been loss of power. If the history books are to be believed the Russian pilots were so outclassed by the Germans the planes didn't last long enough to develop engine problems.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some old lead paint in the garage do you recon if I mix it with the petrol that will work.

Just changed a headgasket on a tuned E93a last week, about 5.000 hard miles, nice and clean and no sign of valve problems.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total,complete and utter rubbish.
Ebay and sunday markets are pretty much the last places that still allow this stuff to be sold at. In all the years this junk has been pedalled to the unsuspecting motorist none of the so called catalysts have ever been tested by a reputable and recognised establishment equipped to do such tests and found to have any beneficial effects what so ever.
If you really want to waste thirty quid on what look like (and probably are) a few air gun pellets wrapped in wire netting to stick in the fuel tank there are a couple on ebay right now.
ka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not convinced then?

Follow this to the DTI page....

http://www.broquet.co.uk/

Better three than four.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Wink

Not found any need for additives in normal driving. Not burnt a valve out either in 50,000 miles since lead disappeared but if I did would have hardened valve seats fitted from the savings made not buying such stuff
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
petermeachem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Follow this to the DTI page....

Claptrap. Much the same as magnetic water softeners which don't work however much people think they do. And loads of other junk people happily buy.
This is somewhat related. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Science-Ben-Goldacre/dp/000728487X If you haven't read it and are even a little bit sciency I thoroughly recommend it. Very well written, funny and very eye opening
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: