classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 12/4 misfire
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
NONORT

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Sounds as though the carb more of a Smith's Carb as used on the Bullnose Cowley and blower Bentley's these have no spring or hydraulic damper but rely on a vaccum created by the inlet pressure. The more the vaccum the more the damper lifts increasing the fuel rate making the mixture richer. The overall mixture is set up by the jets. If you squeeze the throtle pedal the engine will rev freely if you jab the pedal it will stutter and cough until you take your foot off a bit. Driving the Cowley you have to have a very light right foot. Allthough you can use your left foot for the throtle as the pedal is in the center. I would suggest that no oil is used a bit of pencil graphite rubbed on the touching parts should do the job.
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you belong to the morris register you can access the morris 10/12 operators manual on the web site. It has all the info regarding cleaning oiling and adjusting the carburator.

Morris 8 two seater
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 12/4 misfire Reply with quote

[quote="Spike2"]Thought I would check out valve clearances and timing etc. which leads me to ask how do I time this engine, I cannot see any marks on the bottom pulley or timing chain cover."

You will probably find that the timing marks are actually on the flywheel /bellhousing cover, accessed by a small plate or a rubber bung on the top of the bellhousing itself. To get at this you will need to remove the gearknob, and take off whatever kind of cover you have inside the car on top of the gearbox. It may well be a rubber moulding. You may also find that there is a small scale on the engine block next to the distributor which allows the fine tuning by rotating the distributor a point or two either way.
The principle in cars of this era is usually that you set the engine with no 1 up to TDC as per the timing marks, then rotate the distributor so that the points are just opening. Fine tuning is then done by trial and error advancing and retard ing by small increments by rotating the distributor until you are satisfied with performance.
Boring Tucson SUV
Spike2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all your responces. Interesting one about the heavy right foot, could be me actually. Have found the operators manual, good stuff.
Thanks again will keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: