classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old Buicks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Old Buicks Reply with quote

I have always wanted an old Buick, whether or not I ever realise that dream of ownership I don't know, but I am continually scouring U.S. ebay for affordable examples!

The model I seem to have settled on is a 1950 Roadmaster/special sedan, the two door hardtop is much prettier but also sadly much more expensive.

Does anyone have any experience of these cars? What are they like to own and drive? What are the weakspots and failings?

I'd be grateful for any info, also on how difficult/easy it is to import these vehicles to the UK.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spite of the fact that I have two friends, that own early '50's Buicks, i dont really know all that much about them, apart from...

The '50 Special and the '50 Roadmaster are two different models. the Special is identifiable by the 3 portholes, and the split screen. The Roadmaster 4 portholes. If I remember correctly, this has a longer wheelbase (4""?) and is therefore a longer car. The engines are both straight 8's, with the Roadmaster's being larger and more powerful.

Now and again, I visit a US site, www.desertclassics.com Last time I looked, I seem to remember that they had a restorable '50 Special for sale, at around $2000. I might also know of one (restorable) here, I'll check later, if you like.

UJ
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site, lots of info here. Also take a look at the members cars section.

http://www.buickclub.org/index.htm
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.

I have my eye on one here-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buick-1950-Buick-Special_W0QQitemZ230052009766QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't know if that link will work but it seems to be roughly the condition and price that I'm thinking of.

More expensive I can't afford when coupled with shipping, and a poorer example would be beyond my skills to renovate.

Only a pipe dream at the moment I guess as I still have no storage Confused
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks an oaresome model!
mercmog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: 40's or 50's buick Reply with quote

hiya all. with a lottery win mine also would be the 1949 buick roadmaster straight 8 convertible with an airstream caravan on the back mmmmmmm sorry did i drift into a dream then! but without our dreams we may as well turn our toes up now.
admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 30s Buicks with twin sidemounts have caught my eye more than once, if only I had the spare ££ and garage space Cool

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: