classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

oil filter kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
clogs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: oil filter kit Reply with quote

Hi out there ,
can anyone recomend an aftermarket oil filter housing kit, I have a very old engine with no engine oil filter as standard....

also need a pair of front brake back plates for a Morris "J" type van, any help please.....
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think it needs a filter?
ka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up from the last comment, I would agree if the engine is splash fed, if it is not, there does not seem to be any downside in collecting objects in the filter.
Two easy(ish) options, Norton Commando's use an oil filter mount utilising a standard spin off, canister filter connected by clipped on oil lines. Option two would be to find an old Mini engine, and use the oil filter mounting from this. The housing is located externally with two bolts/studs, and has a threaded inlet, the outlet that previously fed straight into the sump, can be tapped to provide an outlet. If all else fails, look in the Motorcycling comics, there are aftermarket oil filter kits advertised all over. The challenge will be finding a pressurised oil gallery in the engine to blank-off, and bi-pass the oil to the filter and back to the engine.

Better three than four.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most pre-war cars had no filter apart from the pump sump intake gauze and the oil was designed to drop its dirt into the bottom of the sump for it settle - modern oils keep all the dirt in suspension to allow the paper filter to clean it out.

Larger versions of pre-war car engines eg the Rover 20 (P2) had a remote bypass filter arrangement plumbed in to rocker shaft feed which filtered some of the oil only through a fine felt filter.Its outlet just dropped the filtered oli into the sump. Such filter and paper equivalents are much fineer that modern full flow filters eg the A series Mini Type
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was mine I would keep it as original ~ why change it from how it was manufactured ~ it's survived this long Confused
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil filter less engines wear out surprisingly quickly. For example Ford Pops and Morris Minor/A30s both needed exchange engines at 20-30,000 miles. The latter had a bypass filter too.

Rolls-Royce's were expected to be substantially rebuilt after 30,000 miles prewar and afterwards, although they had bypass filters, the '46-'52 engines wore out for a pastime and so the company modified many when the cranks went to full flow filters (they were from the hydraulic system of a Wellington Bomber).

Www.flexolite.co.uk sell filter conversions for many classics and are a good place to start. Otherwise, you need to change oil every 1000 miles and be incredibly careful to keep everything spotless.

I know most don't do many miles in their classics, but it's nice to think you're preserving them as best you can.

As an aside, some may not be aware that until Shell X100 in the early fifties, oil was poor and broke down early on, so had a profound affect on engine wear. Shell changed all that as did the multi grades that followed it.

Now fully synthetic oil virtually eliminates engine wear altogether, so that with a filter, even a lowly engine from the thirties can last indefinitely.

Have a look at YouTube videos of engines being dismantled after more than 500,000 miles that have run on the likes of Mobil 1. There's a Merc up there with big end shells that would pass as new after 600,000!
ka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like 'leave as standard' but I also like to use the car, standard works fine when all you do is polish it, and put it back in the garage, if you want to use it in modern traffic, and using modern oils, moving with the times isn't such a bad idea, after all, if standard was that good, why are we all not using them as daily transport? Things develop with time, I like to use the best of these developments to keep the Moggy going.

Better three than four.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my Austin would like synthetic oil, I suspect it would spit it out
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
I don't think my Austin would like synthetic oil, I suspect it would spit it out

Definitely not! Mobil make a version of their Mobil 1, it's a 10/60 and designed precisely for your Austin, but expensive if it doesn't have a filter and must be changed every 1000 miles. Rolling Eyes
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teensy bit expensive. It is 3 times the price of what the car actually needs. I don't see the point
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted one to my 1939 Ariel Sq4. It was supplied by a company called ANGLO NIHON or something. The fact I can get another half pint of oil in the system and the pipework keeps the oil cooler was the main advantage.
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ford Pop 103 is totally standard (no external filter)..I rebuilt the engine approximately 6 years ago.
I use 20/50 Classic oil but as soon as it starts to look 'less transparent' I change the oil.
The only change I have made is I fitted an extremely powerful magnet into the Sump Plug which really catches a lot of debris.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, cars as old as my 79 year old Austin would have worn out their engines more quickly than cars do nowadays for all sorts of reasons These varied from dirtier road conditions, poorer quality petrol and oil, having no air or oil filter, less resilient bearing alloys and less precise engineering tolerances.
I know that my car hasn't had any work on the moving parts of the engine since 1964 and I have driven 15000 miles+ in it since 1992. I must have changed the oil at least twenty times even though it was laid up for about 10 years.
Like many car enthusiasts I really wouldn't mind having to rebuild the engine and have spare pistons, rings and shells sitting in wait. It's great that I have never needed them.
This thread is bringing up a difference in approach which has been discussed previously on this forum. Modifications are great fun and I applaud those who care enough and have the energy to do them. For me though, I like my car just the way it was made.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I am aware, cars as old as my 79 year old Austin would have worn out their engines more quickly than cars do nowadays for all sorts of reasons These varied from dirtier road conditions, poorer quality petrol and oil, having no air or oil filter, less resilient bearing alloys and less precise engineering tolerances.
I know that my car hasn't had any work on the moving parts of the engine since 1964 and I have driven 15000 miles+ in it since 1992. I must have changed the oil at least twenty times even though it was laid up for about 10 years.
Like many car enthusiasts I really wouldn't mind having to rebuild the engine and have spare pistons, rings and shells sitting in wait. It's great that I have never needed them.
This thread is bringing up a difference in approach which has been discussed previously on this forum. Modifications are great fun and I applaud those who care enough and have the energy to do them. For me though, I like my car just the way it was made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: