classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The time had come.....1961 E-Type Jaguar
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: The time had come.....1961 E-Type Jaguar Reply with quote

I've had my E-type a long time now, in fact so long that the previous restoration in 1987 was starting to get a bit frilly around the edges, but that's hardly surprising considering that the mileage runs into six figures since that date, and in all kinds of weathers. She has been to virtually every country in Europe including Croatia and Bosnia just to give two offbeat examples. Let me start with a photo of the previous restoration which was carried out due to the efficiency of the iron moth in her first 26 years, this being an early 1961 car.

Now the car started life as opalescent gunmetal with red interior, had been repainted maroon and a mustard yellow before I got her but was very doggy when I bought her in the early 80's. The colour I chose was not, I now admit, opalescent silver blue but actually Ford Glacier Blue which looked very similar but a bit more vibrant. To see her in her pomp she was borrowed by the Beeb for "The car's the Star in the 90's and it can be found on Youtube, I discovered to my surprise. Last year I noticed paint reaction on the passenger door and bonnet where in parts the paint had gone dark blue, plus having had two minor accidents (hit by a 205 in France bending a door and the garage door caught by the wind and damaging the bonnet) one could see that the paint didn't quite match. The engine was starting to rattle a bit but it sounded like the top end and cam chain more than anything else, but you'll see more of that later.

So here are a couple of photos I took the day I parted with her in Hampshire:-

She looks better in the photos than she was, with paint reaction also in the rear O/S wing too by now. 27 years of track days, hill climbs, snow, ice and everything the weather could throw at it had taken their toll.

I'll take a break here and continue the thread later.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, look forward to the updates Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the car was taken apart. Before doing so new A-frames were ordered from E-fabs, very strongly recommended by all and sundry. The problem is that the frames rust from the inside out, and after all the hooning it was sensible to change this structural part. As the car came apart and was brought back to bare metal, we found surprisingly less rust and problems than I had feared.

But the floor pans had been badly sealed so needed replacing, but not before the body was properly jigged of course.

Then the pans were cut out and the car reverted to Fred Flintstone power mode.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rusty floor pans before removal.

In the 90's, Jaguar borrowed the car for their 60th anniversary display at the NEC, and a very thoughtful (now ex - you'll see why) girlfriend decided to push the car out of the garage to finish the polishing for the display. Only she pushed it out, it sailed down the drive, and ripped the door off on the wall. my friend who owned a garage worked night and day to do a quick repair, but this is what was found on taking the off-side apart.

Since that was 18 years ago I'm surprised that the improvised repair has lasted that long really. New door and A post panel required. More rust was found under the screen returns like this. Not too serious though.

Oh, I have now found the photo of the new A-frames.

JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car, keep the pics coming Smile

Jens Christian
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: The engine Reply with quote

When I drove her over to the farm for the rebuild the last thing I was worried about was the motor; it had run sweetly since the last rebuild 27 years ago, never until recently using any oil at all between services which is unusual for an XK but nevertheless, I wasn't complaining. Over the last year or so oil consumption has gone up to about a litre per 1,000, so still well within tolerances. However, the top end was beginning to rattle and it was particularly in the 1500-2500 range when the rattle stopped. I was thinking of camshaft buckets. but that wasn't it. When the engine was stripped the horror story unfolded, and a complete engine rebuild was necessary. Just look at the head for example, cracked in no less than six places. It was so bad that another head was the only answer.

But that wasn't the end of the horror story; the block itself was cracked by the head allowing water ingress so had to be stitched.

The only thing to do was bite the bullet and go for a 100% rebuild if the car was to be reliable again, so she has been machined out, new liners put in and the new head, timing chest and bottom end rebuilt. I won't go into the cost over-run - it is too painful to discuss.

While I say the cost was steep, perhaps you might like to know that here in France a standard rebuild would cost at least double the price in the UK, and a total restoration like this one about three times the cost. Sadly, the photos of the finished engine got lost in a computer crash so when the engine is delivered I'll post the shiny and new photo, which is unlike this one taken when the engine came out.

You'll note that after over 30 years I finally cracked and bought a 123 electronic dizzy, this about three years back. Every spring it was the same old story of gapping the points, and bearing in mind the other thread about getting older and finding things harder the rheumatism is making any work painful, so I bless this invention with all my heart. Reliable, and no maintenance.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here finally are a couple of the finished engine photos. It'll go back in the car next week.

D4B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow engine looks fantastic ~ great job Cool Cool
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...just wow
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be said that VSE have a tremendous reputation for their XK engine renovations, and their price is dear compared to many makes of engine but about a quarter of the prices I have heard for an Aston engine. It is £3,300 plus VAT with a one year guarantee. Obviously in this case the price went up but I was agreeably surprised none the less. With modern tolerances the running in period is a lot less onerous too. Back to the bodywork:

Then the new floor pans were welded in:-

We are now running at Fred Flintstone power! New pans were welded in and this time properly sealed:-

Holes were found in the sill caps on the rear O/S - proof if needed that the car was dismantled exactly when needed before serious rust set in. I am conscious here that I took the decision to have the underside done in stone chip paint 27 years ago, and I am sure that this in part had saved the car from more serious problems. Just look how clean the rear end was above the suspension cage:-

The new door and A-post was fitted with perfect shut lines. I'd like to add here that this young lad (well anyone in their thirties is young to me!) has also taught himself to lead-load - an art I thought was about dead.

The bonnet, which is about one third of the car, was found to have a pinhole next to the louvres and also two in the nose:-

All now repaired but again we were acting just in time. Parts were refurbished and polished. I just love seeing these photos:-

The steering wheel, one of the many unobtanium parts nowadays and only in this form up until December 1962 and never reproduced.

I forgot to mention the ingress of oil into the bell housing. Before and after photos and of course a new clutch needed:-

More shiny bits:-

Is it me or does that ensemble seem to have a happy smile?

The bonnet of the car was not the original when I bought the car and of this age the bonnets were pressed as one piece and then the bonnet was cut and the louvres welded in. I decided to have this done:-

Then, when the bodywork had been primed and blocked, it was off for the final coat to be applied. It was here that the long wrestle with my conscience was resolved. This started out as an economic restoration keeping the patina of the interior and changing nothing inside, including the rusty ash tray and indicator stalk, but I have been conscious for quite some years that I have a duty to the car and its heritage as much as to take enjoyment from it, and she had started out as gunmetal with red interior. Was I going to keep her blue (after all, she has been that colour for the majority of her life when she wasn't either maroon or yellow) or would I go that extra mile and return her to the condition in which she left the factory? So here is the answer:-

I do like this photo; is that a happy smiling little robot I see watchfully looking over the restoration?

Torsion bar, brake pipes and in-line brake switch:-

Front N/S suspension. You'll note that I have gone for Goodrich pipes:-

That brings us up to date for now. Some parts we are still actively seeking, like the screws that hold on the chrome headlamp bezels, and they are no longer made. The little chromes for the rear number plate lights were made by Butler and stamped as such - until February 1962 then Lucas. A pair sold on Ebay recently for over £300 but I was lucky enough to be given a second-hand pair we have had rechromed. Incidentally, all parts have been rechromed. More anon.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except that, to my surprise, the engine is already back in the car!

ETA A large part of the day spent on the telephone finally found a correct screen - beware people, Pilkington screens are too wide nowadays - and moreover produced the correct screws for the headlamp bezels. In stainless, not chromed, but at least slotted and domed. One takes what one finds nowadays.
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have carried out a lot of work in 10 day`s. Very Happy

A good meticulous piece of work being carried out.

Do VSE fit a modified lip seal to the rear crank when building up the engine.?

Not sure which engine you said this was, but the 4.2ltr has problems with cracking between the bores . I have come across this before.

The problem was this engine started out as a 3.4ltr, which was tough as old boots.
Then they enlarged it out to 4.2ltres with liners and hardly any meat between the bores.
Head gaskets are a problem with leaking if left stored away for a few years, and the engines not run.

I had this problem with a lovely XJ6 series 1 I purchased. The owner passed away, the car sat in a garage and the engine seized.

You will have to motor down to Angouleme in Sept in this when finished, for the historic weekend.

G.F

G.F
Jaguars.
Rootes Cars.
MG.
Etc.

Viking Fibreline Caravan.
Cheltenham Sable
Shorts Built Vintage Caravan 1936.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early E-types from launch to late 1964 were all 3.8 litre and bore cracking isn't unknown on them, but I do agree that the 3.4 was by far the smoothest of the lot, and probably the strongest. I just loved my Mk 1 and the lack of power didn't bother me in the slightest. I now regret parting with that car. . Even a car as well known as the E-type has supply problems these days and let's not go near the subject of the quality of some modern parts. That's why all my chrome has been rechromed.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On we go. A friend asked me, quite astonished, just why I had had the car rebuilt when she was seemingly in such good condition. except, knowing the car as I did, I knew she wasn't. Here for example are pictures of the heater box when taken apart, showing the rusted out remains of the original with a S/H replacement from another box.

On the outside the heater looked fine, except that the slow speed packed up many moons ago, the air control was seized yet a glance would have shown nothing amiss. Icebergs come to mind.

To bring things up to date here is the latest sot showing the modified dragster rear suspension and new wheels.

scott_budds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha I was going to say something about those wheels!

Seriously nice work. Looks like the decision was made at just the right time!

Good luck with the rest of the work.

Buddsy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: